New Replacement Lavalier Mics for Sennheiser G3/G4 ???

Byron

I'm replacing my ME2 and ME4 lavalier mics for my Sennheiser G3/G4's.  My top consideration at this time is the omni Countryman-B6.

I would love to hear any pros/cons on this Countryman-B6 decision or any other replacement recommendations ?

LivingAudio,

The B6 is a great mic, however it's susceptible to air turbulence and fiddly with the fishing line size cable. Not a desert island mic though, you must have other mics must be on-hand. OST mics are highly regarded if your budget is limited. We still have to try out the Deity lavs. I don't like the idea of using adapters though (according to the NAB video)

Best sounding/most expensive - DPA 4060s, though probably not worth it running G3/G4

Solid choice is always the COS-11, I've been pleased with their sound and they have nice price point. Plus they're pretty standard in rental kits if you need to pick up extra wires for a job.

If cost is a big consideration the B3 would be my choice, I think they offer some of the best sound for the price.

B6 - a lot has already been said.  I keep a few in my kit for the 'nothing else will do' situations, and when those came up I was happy to have them, but the sound quality isn't great, it overloads pretty quickly, and those little caps have a tendency to disappear faster than you can order them.

6 hours ago, Rick Reineke said:

I have not used the microDot adapters, how much length does the add to a plug. I had a Rode lav, and their plug-adapter lasted about a week, I chopped it off, and soldered on a one-piece plug.

I am using them on some jobs with the 4060s and they are the weakest link(sic) in the system. They add some -unnecessary - length to the connection and they are rather delicate. 

If I am getting the 6060s they will be one-piece plugged!

6 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

They add some -unnecessary - length to the connection and they are rather delicate. 

Are we talking about the DPA MicroDot adapter? Because I find that to be very robust. It’s not much lengthier - if at all - then the soldered version. As long as it’s screwed on tight enough. 

I asked the German DPA distributor which type of connector they see more of on service, and they said both. 

3 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Are we talking about the DPA MicroDot adapter? Because I find that to be very robust. It’s not much lengthier - if at all - then the soldered version. As long as it’s screwed on tight enough. 

I asked the German DPA distributor which type of connector they see more of on service, and they said both. 

Yes. DPA. The connection is pressed against the body and that can cause issues in live TV and reality shows. To be honest I haven't seen a DPA without the microdot connection, but I assumed it can't be possibly larger and the important factor, for me, is that you do not have another point of propable failure in your chain.

Bonus: They are a bit cheaper as well!

Byron,

DPA lavs are great, but with a connector I think you're talking US$450+ for one lav (more for some models).

Sanken COS-11 will run about $330 new.

In the lower-cost range, I'd look at Oscar SoundTech and Countryman EMW & B3. Note that the prices on their websites might not be the same as those at dealers, but you'll get a sense of what's what.

http://oscarsoundtech.com

https://www.countryman.com

I'm mostly running Sanken and Countryman lavs. Corporate, doc, some news mag stuff.

The Deity W.Lav mics might be a good option, but we'll need to wait a while to see how they perform and hold up in the real world.

https://www.deitymic.com/wlavpro/