Shure Twinplex mics

Philip Perkins

I looked at these newish lav mics from Shure on their site, and since they are from Shure I bet they work pretty well and sound good.  They seem a little big for movie sound buried-lav use--has anyone tried them?    I guess to use them with Lectro or other non Shure wirelesses you have to get the microdot versions.   The headset mic has these kind of funny-looking adjustment knobs near the earpieces.  Even if they sound good I think the folks I use my DPAs with would think they looked a little too techo, like a comm headset.

I stopped by their booth and checked them out. They have multiple versions depending on use. Different capsule sizes, different wire thicknesses, different connector options. It’s a similar design to the Sony ECM88/90 with the dual horizontal mic elements. I think the Sony has better isolation from noise from the wire (zero) but the shure one was impressive. It sounded good as well. They had a little setup with their axient wireless and psm900 Receivers. The mics seemed to be very accurate to the original sound source. NAB isn’t the best listening environment but was enough to get the general idea. Would definitely be worth checking out.

I have a TL46 borrowed from Gotham on set with me today and tomorrow. Corporate interviews so lots of different voices to try it out on. 

I’ll give a better report after tomorrow’s shoot but first impressesions from today are pretty good. It’s a very full sounding lav, not super bright and a little on the nasally side, and seemed to work a little better for female voices than male. Matched well with the CS3e boom. 

Slightly larger than most other lavs but I didn’t find it too difficult to hide. Interviews though so I wasn’t dealing with tricky costumes. More later!

-Mike

• 8 months later...

I bought one (TL46) to try out on the last few weeks of a TV series and have some observations:

Cable is amazingly thin!

Sound is very open and natural, not as hyped or "in your face" like cos 11's tend to be. 

They come with a presence peak cap and a flat cap. 

They are as hard / easy to hide as a B3 or 4060.

Plays well with Zaxcom TX. (Super quiet scenes may be an issue).

They make a claim about the cable being "unkinkable" which is not the case if using rubber bands to secure the extra cable- but it feels as strong as they claim it to be, which is fantastic. I see more lav cables being made like this in the future.

Overall I like it - if they can make a cap that brings out the top end a little more, it would be right up there with the 4060.