Windscreen Options for 19mm Mics (Sennheiser, DPA, et al.)

Benjamin

I searched the forum, but could not find any thread dedicated to this topic, so I'm creating one. 

What do folks around here run for 19mm microphones when not using a full basket?

I'm looking to pick up a set of MKH8020s for Nature/Ambiance. I had hoped Cinela offered a 19mm version of their excellent Leo ball, but alas it seems like only 20mm, 22mm and 25mm versions are offered. I've come up with the Rycote Baseball with fur and the Rycote Supersoftie. Am I right in thinking that the Supersoftie is my best bet for a compact setup that can handle light wind?

Or perhaps I should experiment with the foam supplied by Sennheiser with a fur coat add on?

Am I missing other options?  

I have a couple of the Sony ECM-100N mics for ambiance recording, which are also 19mm diameter. 

Ive just put a couple of wraps of silicone tape on the body of the mic to get it to fit into the 20mm Cinela Leo. The silicone tape doesn’t mess with the finish and it seems to work fine that way. 

I’d be interested in another 19mm solution if one comes up tho. The 8020’s might be a little short for the Leo and a

shockmount. 

-Mike

3 minutes ago, Trey LaCroix said:

The 8020-50 won’t fit properly in a Leo ball + a suspension without the high pass filter module. Too small.

7 minutes ago, Mobilemike said:

I’d be interested in another 19mm solution if one comes up tho. The 8020’s might be a little short for the Leo and a

shockmount. 

Oh no, I had worried about that. I've actually never seen an MKH80x0 in person, but I guess they are very short. Perhaps even the supersoftie won't work with the Senn's. 

Mike, I had thought of taping the body to get them up to 20mm. I guess this is an option for the DPAs, at least with the MMP-A bodies. 

2 hours ago, Benjamin said:

I searched the forum, but could not find any thread dedicated to this topic, so I'm creating one. 

What do folks around here run for 19mm microphones when not using a full basket?

I'm looking to pick up a set of MKH8020s for Nature/Ambiance. I had hoped Cinela offered a 19mm version of their excellent Leo ball, but alas it seems like only 20mm, 22mm and 25mm versions are offered. I've come up with the Rycote Baseball with fur and the Rycote Supersoftie. Am I right in thinking that the Supersoftie is my best bet for a compact setup that can handle light wind?

Or perhaps I should experiment with the foam supplied by Sennheiser with a fur coat add on?

Am I missing other options?  

I use a Leo for my MHK50 but I use a couple of these Oballs with a fleece covers for a stereo pair. Exactly the same size as the Leo and crush proof, the holes are 25 and 30mm - I use a rubber grommet to fit narrower mics. If I'd known about these before I wouldn't have bought the Leo (especially as I have a 1st generation 1 which is rigid and will break if squashed).

I use the rycote baby ball gag with or without a fur:

http://mymic.rycote.com/products/windshield-solutions/bbg-windshield/

works great for me. They are similar to the cinela leo ball but they start at 20mm diameter. You might put a piece of tape on the mic to make it fit. Not sure if you will have enough room for the suspension. The mics I use are about 5 inches long. For two onmis you need a certain distance, otherwise you get a true mono recording up to a certain frequency. So you have to use two baskets when you go out with omnis.

Greetings

I had forgot to mention that I plan on running this omni AB. 

Lot's of excellent suggestions here, thank you all! I guess the Cosi is the best option, but it's the most expensive. I might first try some cheaper alternatives, including the supplied MZW 8000 dual layer windscreen.

But it's likely that I'll end up picking up the Cosi eventually. The small model looks to be quite compact actually. Perhaps not much bigger than a microphone and an attached Leo?