Betso TCD-1 not accepting external power

sinnlicht

Hi all, 

Just received a new old-stock Betso TCD-1. Attached it to a fresh vmount lithium battery and provided it with TC from time code buddy minitrx+. 

When I try to turn it on, it simply states battery low and turns off. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9dxfkjhj05837y3/IMG_0018.MOV?dl=0

I cannot get into the menus to change any setting and the internal battery is not charging. 

Anyone have any experience with this problem?

Thanks 

Richard

Disclaimer for the usual suspects, yes I have read the manual, yes I tried calling the manufacturer (no answer), yes I have tried to google prior entries on this topic both on and outside the platform. Please spare everyone the repetition of any part of the RTFM liturgy here ..

If it’s new old stock I guess the internal li-ion cells have dropped so low that they are under the voltage level for which the protection circuit need it to be to initiate the charge process. 

And is the unit is set to need user initiated charge when connected to external power you are stuck I guess. 

Anyway, if there’s not warranty involved I would simply remove the back of it, disconnect the internal li-ion/lipo pack, measure its cell voltage and see if all have dropped low or only one of them. 

If they all are far below 2 V each I would not have any faith in them even though they might be able to get going again as they tend to be damaged anyway. If they are just under 2.5V I would use a dedicated li-ion charger from the RC world and use it’s often built in features to revive and cycle the cells besides settings for chem type, capacity, charge current etc. 

Or order a new pack or build one yourself. 

There are tricks far outside what should be recommended on how to force them to take charge and it involves setting a profile for NiMh cells and simply push them up to a higher voltage and then change battery type and continue charging as lipo.

Unless you have the equipment, understand the risks and know how to take the precautions - this is nothing to continue with. 

Most often the cells have taken too much damage from being left in a low voltage state to long anyway and should be discharged and left for recycling. 

I do not own this kind of TC display unit but I’ve custom built and replaced many battery packs in other devices. 

I would first reach out to the manufacturer or one of their resellers and see if they have a price on a spare and if it’s enough to send the battery to you or if it really need to be replaced by the manufacturer. They most like say it’s needed. 

Ask yourself if it’s worth it or not. Hassle free often comes at an expense but also with a warranty. 

Not always a bad thing. 

After that it’s all about how handy you consider yourself to be. 

To do it yourself, take a peek at how they are attached to the pcb and fixed to the case. 

Any wiring can be detached and measured to see voltage. 

If needed you can remove the label stickers and see if there are a  model number written on lipo-cell by the original manufacturer. The text often describe chemistry, size and capacity. 

Then it’s often as simple as searching for those numbers or sizes on the web and you will find that they are available for different sources. Not always as complete and drop-in ready but ready to solder and drop in. 

When I look at the photos of cells it looks to be those standard Nokia cells used by half of the world a few years back. I’ll look closer on the workstation later today and get back to you. If so it’s very simple to by new ones replace them. 

A kind member sent me this excerpt from communication to Betso about the identical problem.

Betso_1.jpg

I had a look behind the label, and yes the advice is correct, that these are cell phone batteries that must be 1400 mah. I only found stock on these batteries in Europe. The also have to soldered to the PC board.

The Betso is generally a solid product, but (i) it is a firmware mistake to have the unit default to needing the built-in batteries to work before accepting ext power, (ii) not having an easily replaceable battery pack with a connector that they could sell that any normal tech person could switch out easily. 

Thanks to all responders you were amazing help in solving this.