How Long To Charge Sound Devices Recorders Internal System-Timecode Battery?

Dave

Hi to Sound Devices Users,

I wonder if anyone with a Sound Devices recorder has an idea of how long it generally takes to "recharge" an internal timecode/system battery from a depleted state? I have a MixPre 10T and some functions go haywire when the internal timecode/system battery is low or depleted. I can't find a way to know what this internal battery charge status is in any menu so am having to guess as to when the charge is proper and how long to leave it recharging.

After reading different posts I am told that in order to get this internal battery up to an adequate or full charge, connecting to hirose wall power is recommended. The thing I am finding odd is that since the internal battery can only be charged when the MixPre is turned on, you must hook up to wall power and leave the unit turned on  - overnight recommended by Sound Devices.

Apparently the internal system/timecode battery can also be recharged when the unit is powered by L-mount sled battery power, but once again the unit must be powered on for an indeterminate duration to do so. Would anyone know how long this takes. Is it normal on other recorders that while you are charging the internal system/timecode battery you have to stay powered on and are effectively depleting the main power battery?

Lastly, how long are these internal rechargeable systems batteries supposed to last? Other than having malfunctions set in, is there a way to keep on top of this system battery's status and performance?

Thanks for any tips. As always, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

As far as I know from 633, a few minutes charging time are enough to take advance of the timecode accuracy (blue light flashing) and the shutdown feature. The mixer must be turned on. If charging time seems to take longer, there may be an issue: battery end of life or battery cables internally loosened which once happend to my device.

Don't have experience with MixPre though.

How are people having these issues with such new devices? My 788T has never needed the TC battery changed and I bought it new eight years ago. Same with my 633. The only device I’ve had to change a TC battery for is a 702T that I purchased used and don’t know the history of. 

1 hour ago, JonG said:

My 788T has never needed the TC battery changed and I bought it new eight years ago. Same with my 633. 

Did you ever send your 788 to SD? I think they swap out the TC as a matter of course as it is a regular AA rechargeable will die eventually. 

7 hours ago, Mike Westgate said:

When in doubt put a new battery in it, it's quite easy!

mike

Don‘t know about the MixPre, but on the 633 this isn’t that easy at all. It‘s the buffer battery that holds TC for two hours and also facilitates the safe shutdown feature. 

What‘s easy to change is the RTC battery, but that isn’t a rechargeable battery, so it needs to be changed regularly. 

On 4/24/2019 at 11:34 PM, Constantin said:

Did you ever send your 788 to SD? I think they swap out the TC as a matter of course as it is a regular AA rechargeable will die eventually

Nope. It’s never needed servicing. 

If you change internal batteries (that aren't soldered in) on any of our devices, it's a good idea to burnish the points where they make contact and add a drop of Deoxit contact cleaner to those connections.  These circuits operate at such low current that any resistance at the contact points can be an issue. 

• 4 years later...

It would be nice to be able to see the health/charge state of these internal batteries!!

Did anyone find a guide about how to change the batteries in the MixPre10T series?  I have found them for the 6 series alright but nothing for the mixpre recorders

What are the batteries inside the MixPre10?  Perhaps a 2032 but what is the rechargable?  Someone mentioned an AA rechargable above?