Sennheiser MKE-2 too noisy

Werner Althaus

I hope this isn't too basic a question but a search didn't reveal too much info on this subject so here it goes.

These days I don't get out into the field much anymore but when I do I usually borough a co-workers kit. When I do I usually find out about what gear needs replacing due to age or defects of all kinds. I am talking about things that creep up on the daily user without them necessarily noticing. Example, I'm always shocked when I listen to our headphones of choice (Sony 7506) after they've been in use for a while. The low end on these seems to disappear and they start sounding rather tinny.

So the other day I did a few sit-down interviews in a reasonably quiet location and I used a really old (30 years) Schoeps CMC3/ MK 41 on a boom overhead and a MKE-2 lav (the 48V wired variant) that is probably 15 years old. the recorder was a SD 633. For the second interview I switched out the Schoeps for a brand new Sanken CS3e because I didn't like the sound of that particular Schoeps. But in terms of noise the Schoeps was still doing very well, while the MKE-2 was noticeably noisy/ hissy. I switched to a second MKE-2, same thing. I did test a few more, all of similar age and they all seem to be getting noisy.

My question is whether this is normal and why it seems that the noise decreases when I use an older transformer balanced 442 . We're pretty much all SD 633 or 664 now and I need to find lavs that do better in terms of noise. Should I try new MKE-2s (in truth I never really cared for those to begin with) or are there better choices out there in terms of noise. Soundwise I like the Sanken COS11ds but I've never tried a hardwired version. My experience with  our old dpa miniature mics is that they tend to be awesome for everything except for use  as lavs , the cable on these old ones are too rigid and they "hear too much" if that makes any sense.

As you can see I haven't really paid attention to lavs much since MKE-2s were just the standard.

Any input would be appreciated.

I've had more cable noise hassle with Sanken compared to the old stiffy DPAs. With modern DPAs with soft cables, things got more comfortable. However, a colleague who bought a new set in different colors together got the black ones with a semi stiff cable. All others specs where the same.

I'd suggest you discuss stiffness with your vendor, before buying. 

PS: I never understood the target market for MKE2 (Gold) or why they added it to their evo line. 

Hi Werner, in my opinion you're right, those preamps in the newer recorders are not that good as they were once. They seem optimized for modern hot mikes (e.g. MKH 8060, CMC6, ...) and of course wireless receivers.

Put an MD 421 or MD 441 on a mic stand on a table and try to make a recording (with a 633) of someone, speaking at a normal voice level, sitting at the table. A scenario like this was very common on the old Nagra days I guess. The 633 preamps won't be able to do a proper recording, far too noisy for professional ears.

Same with the 48V version of lavs, they too aren't very hot, at least the Sennheiser ones. I just know wired lavs from Sennheiser (ME 102, MKE 2, MKE 10) With recorders like the 633 you'll get the paradox situation that wireless lavs sound less noisy than wired lavs - since the transmitters are matched better to those lavs.