Low Profile Windscreen for Schoeps Capsules

Trey LaCroix

Hey there! I'm a big fan of using my Schoeps capsules for car scenes, but as of now haven't found a great windscreen for this application. For windows up I use the teardrop windscreens and that works fine, but when we need the windows down the only thing that will properly protect against the wind is a softie, which I find to bulky to hide properly. Has anyone found/made/imagined a low profile windscreen to protect against wind coming into the car?

What capsules are you using (MK4, MK41?) and where are you putting (or hiding) the mic - up above?

It's not the kind of thing I've done much (since I'm post) but when I have planted directional mics in cars for dialogue they've been low where they are hidden / out of shot, and up above I've used omnis, typically DPA4060s, which can be hidden away, windshielded compactly if need be, and are much less susceptible to wind / air streams (and thus probably more rescuable if need be in post).

If you're married to the director and related to the production designer you might consider rigging 'left - right' character mics into furry dangling dice?! Good to hear if this was ever done before!

Jez

2 hours ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

What capsules are you using (MK4, MK41?) and where are you putting (or hiding) the mic - up above?

Both mk4 and 41 depending on the shot/car. Usually from above in the visors with a GVC swivel. Sometimes from below with an arm. 

2 hours ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

I've used omnis, typically DPA4060s, which can be hidden away, windshielded compactly if need be

That’s usually my plan B, which can sound really nice, but I often find I don’t get the reach I need with a lav. I just really like the sound of the Schoeps in the car (and in almost every other scenario).

I bet fuzzy car dice would make a great windscreen! I hope I get a movie with a hot rod in it soon.

2 hours ago, Chris Woodcock said:

How low profile you taking about here? 

Cinela Cosi is good

Ideally not much larger than a teardrop. The rycote softie I’ve been using has a habit of sticking out too much from a visor and getting hit by the actors knees from below.

Rycote Baseball maybe? Not sure if it'll have enough protection, but it might be smaller than a softie. 

Other than that I think you might be going against the öaws of physics here. You could I guess try a regular teardrop and then add some Schoeps wraparound furry on top of that, one of those they sell for something like the Zoom H1.

Have you considered using things like gauze, or sports wrap or ______? I’m sure that there are a number of things you could try that may not be purpose built, but therefore very inexpensive and available at drugstores. 

Agreed that a Schoeps is the best sounding car mic -- the challenge being to position it and wind-protect the capsule while keeping it out of the shot.  As mentioned, you're up against the laws of physics.

I would try some Windjammer-type fur wrapped close around the capsule.  Also, keep in mind the air flow and see if there's a way to channel more of the wind to pass away from the mic.  If you could lower just one window at a time that would help diminish the turbulence within the car's cabin.

Next to that -- try some DPA directionals -- of course they may still need wind protection, but with them you might get away with short fur, similar to Overcovers.

10 hours ago, Chris Woodcock said:

Ursa large soft circle with a rubber band, job done 

Great idea! Didn't even know those existed. Thinking about doing the same thing with the Bublebee piece of fur?

22 hours ago, JonG said:

Have you considered using things like gauze, or sports wrap or ______? I’m sure that there are a number of things you could try that may not be purpose built, but therefore very inexpensive and available at drugstores. 

I was thinking some people might have some home made solutions they could share. I could certainly start experimenting with a few things. Would gauze color the sound too much? Guess I could try it and see.

In the past I used the Schoeps teardrop, but removed its screen material and instead wrapped first some old Rycote fur and later some Bubblebee piece-a-fur around it. The plastic cage of the teardrop is part of what makes it so effective, so this actually worked quite well with being too large. I lost this on a shoot one day, and I never bothered to replace it as nowadays it seems like I can never get a Schoeps placed well in a car anymore.