Tapatalk

manuelchk

Hey guys, I'm trying to use tapatalk to read this forum but it's not working, I emailed them and they answered this:

Thank you for contacting Tapatalk!

The forum you are trying to reach is running on an outdated Tapatalk plugin, hence causing the issue. We’ll contact the forum owner to update their plugin. Please report the same to your forum admin as requests from members are looked into more quickly.

who can update this?

Thanks!

Manuel.

I disabled Tapatalk because it was causing problems with the site and Tapatalk support was not helpful in sorting this out. I had always kept Tapatalk up to date with all current updates (updates were often needed because Tapatalk had frequently caused problems in the past) but rather than installing any new updates I had to disable the plug-in. I am reluctant to update, again, and worry that there will be problems again even with the current update. I will consider it but I'm not so inclined to have Tapatalk active anymore on the site, sorry about that to all our Tapatalk users.

The IPB software that runs this site is current. Tapatalk support seems to indicate that my installation of Tapatalk plug-in is also the current version but they seemed to be saying that they have had some problems with IPB. I have to say that I am not a fan of Tapatalk and I'm not sure what great value it has for the users of this site. The site is responsive and reverts to mobile interface when accessed from mobile devices with smaller screens. Tapatalk also keeps soliciting me to "upgrade" to some plan with all these great "premium" services  ---  things which I have no interest in implementing on the site. I'm open to discussing this with any of our members who typically use Tapatalk  ---   give me a little education on why it is so useful. Today I will get back into discussing this with Tapatalk support and see what we can come up with.

I admit I use it on my iPad sometimes, and I keep it on the Apple users forum because some people asked for it, but it't a royal piece of crap.

Last week I lost a long, thoughtful post on a bird watching forum because Tapatalk decided out of the blue to truncate my post to a couple of paragraphs. It wasn't any kind of configuration limit, it even broke a phrase in the middle.

My stance on it (on the forum I administer) is: As long as the headaches it causes are markedly less than the bunch of users demanding it stays. The moment it becomes a chore itself it will be deleted summarily ;)

So, my recommendation as a forum admin: avoid it because it already  caused some headache. 

(LarryF, you would love that forum thread, I am fighting some "antenophobiacs" who preach about an electromagnetic genocide of sorts. You know, radio transmissions causing a decline of insects, birds, etc) :D

3 hours ago, borjam said:

[snip] (LarryF, you would love that forum thread, I am fighting some "antenophobiacs" who preach about an electromagnetic genocide of sorts. You know, radio transmissions causing a decline of insects, birds, etc) :D

It's a shame, that there is no decline of the "crazies".  They seem to be growing by leaps and bounds.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

I used to access this site via Tapatalk in the beginning and really liked it. But then gradually Tapatalk became more and more annoying and kept changing its interface. So when Jeff once deactivated the plugin for a while here some time ago, I switched to the mobile site and it works much much better and I just stayed there. Even though Tapatalk came back temporarily. I don’t miss it at all now. 

The only thing that I don’t like in the mobile site is the little circle that takes me to the latest unread post. It’s very small and can be missed easily. Other than that the transition was pretty simple

4 hours ago, Daniel Ignacio said:

The website works great on my phone, it’s one of the better mobile-friendly websites. I tried Tapatalk once and it lasted barely a day before I quit it. Also the amount of data it collects is ridiculous, this bit being the most egregious:

Thank you, Daniel! You have stated another one of the reasons I had been hesitant to install Tapatalk originally but I did have ti running for some time because there were members who said they liked it. I never did and so when obvious trouble showed up this time I disabled it altogether. I am convinced now to just steer clear completely  ---  members will just have to use the site as is without any "help" from Tapatalk.