Comtek squelch

Ed Denton

I’m wondering whether this is normal thing or whether I’m not using my Comteks properly. Say I’m feeding an M-216 from the bag and running a few PR-216 receivers. If I turn off the transmitter while the receivers are on, they get blasted with white noise. I thought Comtek PR-216’s had a squelch but if they do it doesn’t seem to be particularly effective. If this is a function of normal operation I can’t understand why people love Comtek so much. There are so many situations where it is impossible to turn off all the receivers when changing a transmitter battery for example. 

I have noticed this also (for years). It happens , but not necessarily on all receivers.

It is the receivers, because it doesn’t matter what type of tx I am using. I have BSTs and M216s. 

It,s just something we have learned to live with, like letting your crew know when turning on or off phantom, or plugging in a mic with live channel for some reason. It’s common but really should have been taken care of by the manufacturer years ago. Maybe it’s prohibitively expensive. We just work around it. We don’t “love Comteks” that much, but they sure are useful.

On 5/3/2019 at 4:49 PM, Ed Denton said:

I’m wondering whether this is normal thing or whether I’m not using my Comteks properly. Say I’m feeding an M-216 from the bag and running a few PR-216 receivers. If I turn off the transmitter while the receivers are on, they get blasted with white noise. I thought Comtek PR-216’s had a squelch but if they do it doesn’t seem to be particularly effective. If this is a function of normal operation I can’t understand why people love Comtek so much. There are so many situations where it is impossible to turn off all the receivers when changing a transmitter battery for example. 

Your 216 has frequency choices.... if you shut off the trans. and a plugged in receiver unit blasts with noise....change to another channel... you have them there for a reason, use when you need to... I will admit, it almost never happens to me... but, if it did, that's what I would do. If the problem still exists, leave the unit powered all the time... If necessary announce a batt change so people know...when you get home, try again in a different area and see if there is still the issue...  

You can always call them, they are really nice and will possibly have other ideas... or send in if need be... crap happens... Normally my units are and have been rock solid for many years...