Recording trumpet: Options

swehner

I uploaded some recordings of me playing a short theme on the trumpet:

https://audiomack.com/album/stephanwehner/swan-lake-theme-recordings

There are a few different combinations of

1. Tascam DR-44WL

2. Shure SM57

3. Behringer ECM8000

The physical arrangement is : me blowing into the Shure (at an angle), the Tascam is 2 arms lengths away, the Behringer same distance again; all approx. at the same height. A regular kitchen.

My questions:

The Behringer and the Tascam tracks sound pretty much the same to me, which I hadn't expected. Now I'm thinking they're both condenser's so that explains it. But then again, the Behringer is supposed to be flat, as it is meant for measurements. How can I hear that?

The Tascam track sounds the best from the "solo" tracks (only one source).  Why would that be?

Mixing more than one together (Tascam+Behringer, Tascam+Shure) sounds better than single mic tracks, mixing all together sounds best among these.  Why?

Any advice on putting equalization on the Behringer?

The last track has reverb added (using sox, http://sox.sourceforge.net/sox.html). Is this legit? Seems like the easiest way to get a good sound out of this.

Any general feedback also appreciated.

First the general feedback: I'm not sure if you've realized, but this is a forum frequented by professionals who record things like ad spots, corporate video, reality TV, documentaries and feature films. While many of them might also have recorded an instrument or two every now and then, questions of this sort might be better suited for forums like Gearslutz, where - apart from the Post-production section - music is the focus.

Now, as for your other inquiries... While the Behringer mic might be ultra-flat, it doesn't mean that the mics on the Tascam necessarily have a wild frequency response curve. However the Behringer is omni so in another kind of space it might sound very different.

The Tascam probably sounds more pleasing to you since it's stereo, so it'll also capture a space more "lifelike" than a mono recording.

And finally, why do the mixed recordings please you more? Well, I've recently noticed American youngsters on YouTube every now and then use a catchphrase that I think goes well here. It goes: It do be like that sometimes. Instruments are often recorded with several mics (for example close mono, mid stereo, room stereo) etc for this very reason.