Wireless GO

daniel

Rode wireless go-ing to sell by the trailer load to the market of the up and coming video producers etc and maybe influence peoples expectations about how big a transmitter needs to be(?) The only other TX remotely similar in size are all the top of the range TX (give or take), of the all the UHF wireless manufacturers. Obviously these are far better systems (with all the added professional features and reliability) and scripted drama productions of any ambition should be paying the rental on however many are needed but it's not hard to imagine in the less well funded sectors it becoming *tricky to use anything but the smallest TX even if the larger (UHF) TX are more reliable than 2.4ghz stuff. 

https://www.rode.com/wirelessgo

https://zaxcom.com/products/zmt3/

https://www.lectrosonics.com/US/SSM-super-micro-belt-pack-transmitter.html

https://www.soundnetwork.co.uk/product/sony-dwt-b03r-transmitter/

https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/news-setting-a-new-benchmark-the-sennheiser-sk-6212-mini-bodypack-ise-2019

https://audioltd.com/discontinued/minitx-micro-transmitter/

* eg we'll have to justify it because it's a long shot and out of range or the number of channels needed precludes the exclusive use a 2.4ghz system.

I love the "worlds smallest beltpack for a RODE lavalier"  a bit misleading...   It may be the smallest for their product line, but not others..

The gigs I normally do need all that the better transmitters can put out...  I'll let other folks show up to jobs with these...

They may have their place... but not on my gigs...

I want a set for the sake of problem solving, not used for anything critical but could make a handy tool to throw on slate to get the AC calling scene and take or for simple PL between mixer and boom or to throw on an iphone for those also-live-to-facebook gigs

I agree with Mr AFMY, I need everything that my fairly high-end wirelesses can put out in terms of range, sound quality, ruggedness and freedom from interference from the storm of RF that is a modern set.  Producers may not know about specific wirelesses but they do expect that you will bring the best available, not the cheapest available.

I can imagine to use them just for monitoring my lavs. I use the small Tascam DR-10C recorders instead of wireless systems (so I always have clean audio) and one disadvantage is that I don't monitor them. Putting a Rode Wireless Go on the output of the Recorder would enable me to hear at least possible rustling or wind noise. 

Greetings

• 3 weeks later...

I've been experimenting a little bit with the Go as a personal monitoring system for camera return. Range is ok, but only in line of sight.

Camera headphone out -> attenuator 20dB with dc blocking capacitor -> Wireless Go TX

Wireless Go RX -> RTN in of 633/664

The rx delivers enough gain to feed the RTN in of the SD recorders, and all in all it works. Sound is ok for listening in, but not for monitoring all the time. The bass is clearly missing, the latency is little weird and the data compression becomes audible from time to time. But this solution is a very good help for ENG jobs where audio recorded on camera is required. You can check the hop with that in a very comfortable way, so it's worth the ridiculous price. Camera OP won't complain about weight or size and it doesn't harm my UHF frequencies.

Next step is building a power supply adapter. The internal battery lasts only a few hours.

On 5/25/2019 at 10:37 PM, Mungo said:

I've been experimenting a little bit with the Go as a personal monitoring system for camera return. Range is ok, but only in line of sight.

Camera headphone out -> attenuator 20dB with dc blocking capacitor -> Wireless Go TX

Wireless Go RX -> RTN in of 633/664

The rx delivers enough gain to feed the RTN in of the SD recorders, and all in all it works. Sound is ok for listening in, but not for monitoring all the time. The bass is clearly missing, the latency is little weird and the data compression becomes audible from time to time. But this solution is a very good help for ENG jobs where audio recorded on camera is required. You can check the hop with that in a very comfortable way, so it's worth the ridiculous price. Camera OP won't complain about weight or size and it doesn't harm my UHF frequencies.

Next step is building a power supply adapter. The internal battery lasts only a few hours.

Hi Mungo,

Is the bass missing however the system is used or is this related to the attenuation? Eg if you were sending from AUX3/4 of 633 at mic level (without padded connector) is there any improvement? cheers.

On Music Playback gigs with no Boom Operator, I always tape a transmitter and lav to the back of the slate to get slate claps and AC call-outs on camera and my production recorder. I think the wireless GO would be ideal for this, except for the battery life. Can anyone comment on how fast it recharges - after 5 hours in the morning, if I was to plug in an external power pack at Lunch for 30-45 mins would I get another 5 hours run time?

On 5/30/2019 at 12:24 PM, daniel said:

Hi Mungo,

Is the bass missing however the system is used or is this related to the attenuation? Eg if you were sending from AUX3/4 of 633 at mic level (without padded connector) is there any improvement? cheers.

I tried out. X3X4 had to be attenuated about 22 dB. But there is no difference in sound - the low frequencys are there, but there is a slight HPF in the Go.

14 hours ago, nickreich said:

On Music Playback gigs with no Boom Operator, I always tape a transmitter and lav to the back of the slate to get slate claps and AC call-outs on camera and my production recorder. I think the wireless GO would be ideal for this, except for the battery life. Can anyone comment on how fast it recharges - after 5 hours in the morning, if I was to plug in an external power pack at Lunch for 30-45 mins would I get another 5 hours run time?

Charging time is longer, I think about two hours. You can buy two units and change the Tx to a charged one after Lunch. Just relink. 

I tested an external power supply and had success with those excellent and expensive Traco Power THB-3 DC/DC converters: no annoying hiss or hum any more if powered from the same battery as the mixer / camera.