Solo Trip to Philippines

Kent Corbin

Hi guys! So this summer I’m planning on going on a trip to the Philippines where I’ll be recording a speaker there for 10 days! I’m extremely excited but also very curious about gear. So, I’m going as a one man crew, filming and recording audio at the same time. The person I’m filming will largest be holding meetings outdoors, so I’ll have to be recording him there. In the day time, I’ll be moving around a lot, and as are documentary short films, many of the situations will be “run  and gun.”

What I Have: have a Canon T6 DSLR and a rhode mic, however, with a budget of roughly $500 I plan on buying some gear soon. I was trying to figure out what gear I should get for recording audio. I know you guys are experts in this field so I came to you. 

I know much of this probably seems amateur, but I believe in making the most for a less than ideal situation, so I’m turning to you guys. Any tips on what I should buy? Thanks!!

Kent Corbin 

kentcor@mail.regent.edu

Hi Kent, welcome to the forum.

Seeing that you are a film student and you're excited about this project, I don't want be too hard on you, but this honestly sounds like an opportunity to learn things the hard way.

Perhaps start here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0415722071/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

forget about gear for a while - Take what you have and borrow some stuff, run around in your home town for two days filming similar situations as you're planning to do later on, sit down look at it and listen very hard, realise all the things you messed up, repeat the same procedure like four or ten times times.

Then read up a bit about gear and then come back and ask specific questions ; )

chris

Isn't this the one with no mic in?

Are you sure this is the camera you have?

Check the prices there, maybe with the currency exchange difference and duty free you will be able to buy a more appropriate camera for video recording. These cheap dSLRs are the lowest of the low for video in 2019.

Buy maybe the Rode Go or Sennheiser XS for your speaker.

1 hour ago, Kent Corbin said:

Hi Kisaha! I just switched from a Canon T6 to a Canon T7i so hopefully that helps with the overall quality. 

It is 1i better!

Check the aforementioned cheap wireless systems I suggested above and you may be fine.

After 10 days filming on a foreign land you will certainly learn a lot.

Good luck with your audio-video adventures!