Large mixer..

I'm working on a project that might involve working with a borrowed Yamaha DM2000 mixer.  Sorry for my ignorance here, but how does 24 tracks get though the mixer, and into a software app (metacorder or boom) on a Mac Laptop?  The Yamaha has no FW (a talk with the Yamaha guys at NAB confirms this), so I'm assuming there's something I'm missing?  ADAT?

Thanks

-Richard

Segio,

Whats a "minitower Mac"?

Looks like the Motu will NOT work with a laptop??

Thanks

-Richard

I think he means a MacPro "desktop" style computer.  MOTU boxes certainly do work w/ Mac laptops, that's how most of us here use them all the time.  I think they will work w/ a PC laptop, but getting MOTU stuff to work w/ any sort of PC is much more convoluted than getting it to work w/ Macs.  And--as you know, the two main apps used by film/video recordists (Boom Recorder and Metacorder) are Mac-only.

Philip Perkins

Guest jimg

I'm working on a project that might involve working with a borrowed Yamaha DM2000 mixer.  Sorry for my ignorance here, but how does 24 tracks get though the mixer, and into a software app (metacorder or boom) on a Mac Laptop?  The Yamaha has no FW (a talk with the Yamaha guys at NAB confirms this), so I'm assuming there's something I'm missing?  ADAT?

Thanks

-Richard

You will need the appropriate card (or cards) to use ADAT with the DM2000. I know the mixer has more than one slot for cards and maybe as many as 6. It's been a while, but I don't think it has any native ADAT I/O. So you might look for the mLan card on eBay as well if that proves the easiest way to go.

Best regards,

Jim

You will need the appropriate card (or cards) to use ADAT with the DM2000. I know the mixer has more than one slot for cards and maybe as many as 6. It's been a while, but I don't think it has any native ADAT I/O. So you might look for the mLan card on eBay as well if that proves the easiest way to go.

Best regards,

Jim

I use three MY8AT cards on my Yamaha O2R which allows for 8 busses & 24 return from my Power Mac loaded with a RME 9652 interface. I'm not sure the DM2000 supports this cards, but as Jim mentioned you could use up to trhee MY16mLAN cards on the DM2000 for a whooping 48 tracks!

Some more research on this..

Indeed the MOTU 2408mk3 will NOT work with a MacBookPro because of the Card.  Good news is though, it has the option of using a PCIe card, which is whats used on a MacPro.  So, it looks like I'm either going to buy or rent a MacPro.  But, more good news is that a MacPro is more then enough power to capture 24 ISOs, plus I can load it up with hard drives too..

So, I'm hoping this all works.  :)

-Richard

May not be the right thing for you - but there are these 24 track recorders available - Alesis for example. I used one on a gig that involved a rock group competition a couple of years ago. Pretty simple as a recorder, can take two hard drives in caddies and has a simple but special cable to connect hard drives to computers using firewire...

In my gig, this recorder was fed by a moderately large analog console and I was in charge of recording and FOH (through a smaller footprint mix console).

And these recorders are not too expensive either.

Please excuse if I am taking you into a wrong direction.

-vin

May not be the right thing for you - but there are these 24 track recorders available - Alesis for example. I used one on a gig that involved a rock group competition a couple of years ago. Pretty simple as a recorder, can take two hard drives in caddies and has a simple but special cable to connect hard drives to computers using firewire...

In my gig, this recorder was fed by a moderately large analog console and I was in charge of recording and FOH (through a smaller footprint mix console).

And these recorders are not too expensive either.

Please excuse if I am taking you into a wrong direction.

-vin

But no TC w/ HD24, and you MUST externally clock it if you want to stay in sync w/ video.  BUT, cheap, and quite good sounding, and all in one box.  Figuring out how to get the files out of it for use in post is a bit of a challenge--since it records in a proprietary format.  And....this from the Alesis website:

>>We are aware of an incompatibility with FST/Connect and version 10.4.9 of Mac OS X and are working on a resolution.<<<<

That all said the HD24 worked out well for some concert films I worked on, even if it isn't my first choice for that work.

Philip Perkins

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

-Richard

Hey Richard,

By far, your best bet is to track down an MLan card.  It's a clean setup and the most hassle free.

I'm using that exact system (well, with an O2R actually) on a show currently and it's solid. 

Check with Wexler or Bexel for the cards.

post-134-130815080995_thumb.jpg

Richard, you're in luck: there's a 16-track MLAN card up on eBay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-MY16-mLAN-Mini-YGDAI-Card-O1V96-02R96-DM1000_W0QQitemZ200340859232QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea53ee960&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

In case that long URL doesn't work, just do a search for MLAN and you'll find it.

We have a DM1000 in one of our Telecine suites, and it's a dynamite mixer -- very logical and straightforward to use. The DM1000 is identical except it's bigger -- more features, etc., most of which we never use. I really like the long-throw faders, which are much better than the ones in the (cheaper) Yahama 03D.

--Marc W.