Countryman Isomax 2 All Purpose Microphone for dialogue

Roy

Hi guys,  

was wondering if this mic could be used for dialogues on a sennheiser g3 tx, or a lectrosonics smqv tx in noisy environments. 

i was looking for a cardioid lav for noisy situations. 

looking everywhere but found no answer regarding dialogue recording for film and broadcast purposes. 

Pls advise .thank you in advance

https://www.countryman.com/isomax-2-all-purpose-microphone/

Cardioid lavs are kind of a specialty device and not used that often for dialogue. They're more susceptible to wind noise, and there's also the problem of the talent moving their heads during normal conversation. I haven't found they necessarily keep out more noise than other mics in noisy environments. I did find that

they're sometimes better for resisting feedback in live stage situations, but only "somewhat," depending on actor's position. 

Audio-Technica, Countryman, DPA, Sennheiser, and Shure all make cardioid (and even super-cardioid) lavalier mics, but my advice would be to test them before committing to a purchase. You may find that noise-reduction in post or ADR are more practical solutions for noisy locations.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

In certain circumstances, a chest-mounted DPA 4080 can serve well for some background noise attenuation.  However, it needs to be able to be visible (most clients want hidden lavs), aimed properly, etc., so such use is quite limited. 

I employ them more for car visor mounts, but the low end rolloff is a bit extreme. It's designed to compensate for the proximity effect when placed on a chest. 

I have some of these and the accessory mounts for instruments, they work surprisingly well for very close pickup of violins, violas, cellos, double bass, brass, woodwinds etc and Countryman's mounts for them are cheap (comp to DPA) and unobstrusive.  For dialog they'd be ok, not my fave at all in my own comparisons, and they are kind of big by today's standards for being hidden in wardrobe.   If you want the Countryman sound in a "buryable" lav mic I'd recommend looking at B3--great sound at a reasonable price.

Yeah Mike, I recall the ECM-50 from my early ENG days. I do not think there was a 'lapel' (clothing mount) mic prior to it. I also recall it was only available in one color .. silver, and was powered by a 'n' cell battery.  The news anchors really liked the sound of them.

The '55' came in two colors, silver and black. (ECM-55b). My two remaining 55s can be powered by a AA or Phantom Power... and they still work.