$75 solution for hardwired, multi device TC synch

12 hours ago, tourtelot said:

I am looking for an app that will take LTC in in the TRRS and convert it to MTC

Strange that this did not come up:
https://www.videotoolshed.com/handcrafted-timecode-tools/ltc-midi-readerconverter/
(Working on an update now, latest version is a bit CPU hungry, should be fixed by tomorrow)

On 5/14/2019 at 6:46 PM, Philip Perkins said:

Computer clocks are notoriously inaccurate over long time periods. 

What is the problem of syncing to network time every 10 minutes? That should take care of the problems.

On 5/17/2019 at 2:37 AM, tourtelot said:

OSX but not IOS, correct?

Assuming you are referring to my LTC reader / converter, indeed no iOS, but both Win and Mac.

(As it also does Midi, it is used a lot to slave other equipment, (video) display in post, laser shows and pyrotech stuff. (That always scares the hell out of me, since that comes with a lot of responsibility.))

Well, I'm in Post, and I never use any 'pads'...
(Even my laptop is crippling me, having just one screen and no full blown keyboard...)
I occasionally help out at events (light, mics, couple of big screens, OSD countdown clocks, video playback and a cam, that kind of work.
I was amazed to see that the sound / light guys bring about 12 laptops. (Granted, mission critical systems like PowerPoint (that is also used for video playback) are double.)
No Ipad to be seen there, and the laptops are all Windows.

P

On 5/15/2019 at 12:17 PM, Philip Perkins said:

I find Reaper anything but useless, but we won't start a DAW fight here!   Recording on a laptop isn't great idea if avoidable in any case.   Reaper apparently does generate TC in accordance with a clock source fed to its interface.

This isn't about the DAW. It's about the fact that reaper does not timestamp the sound files with SMPTE timecode. 

On 5/15/2019 at 10:56 PM, Bouke said:

https://www.videotoolshed.com/handcrafted-timecode-tools/ltc-midi-readerconverter/
(Working on an update now, latest version is a bit CPU hungry, should be fixed by tomorrow)

What is the problem of syncing to network time every 10 minutes? That should take care of the problems.

I will check it out. 

It did come up, but I missed the part about it generating timecode as well. 

On 5/15/2019 at 8:53 PM, Wandering Ear said:

Reaper writes the timestamps to the wave files if you have "Write BWF (bext) Chunk" selected in project settings.

I'll check it out.

Why this even is an option, instead of a standard feature is puzzling to me. 

On 5/15/2019 at 10:56 PM, Bouke said:

Syncing to Network time will not work for most US users that are tied to 59.94 hz clocks for timecode.

NTSC timecode (29.97 or 23.976fps)  does not run in real time.  You can jam to a network clock when you first turn on a TC generator,

however unless you jam all other generators to that one you will drift at .1 %.  from Network (real time of day).

By stating that Laptop or Computer clocks are not very accurate I believe the OP was referring to crystal of the 

normal laptop not being as accurate as most Temperature Compensated crystals used in all pro Time Code Generators.

So long term sync between different free running devices will not be frame accurate even if they are both running at the same integer time base

frame rate..

On 5/21/2019 at 8:08 AM, Henchman said:

This isn't about the DAW. It's about the fact that reaper does not timestamp the sound files with SMPTE timecode. 

Why this even is an option, instead of a standard feature is puzzling to me. 

Reaper is a highly flexible DAW.   You have more options than just recording bwavs.  You can record rf64 or wav64 too, or just standard wav files whose standard does not support the timestamp metadata.  Should those options be on by default too?  Which one?  I really don't see how giving people control over their recording file type is not a good thing.

I would argue that if you are getting files that need timestamps but don't have them it is the oversight of the recordist, not the software.

3 hours ago, tourtelot said:

Am I just missing the IOS app?  Looks good for OSX.

D.

No iOS app.  OS X and Windows only.

14 hours ago, cmgoodin said:

NTSC timecode (29.97 or 23.976fps)  does not run in real time.

Yeah, that was why DF was invented :-)
(But that does not exists in 23.976, and it's beyond me why there is no DF flavour of that.)

14 hours ago, cmgoodin said:

Laptop or Computer clocks are not very accurate I believe the OP was referring to crystal of the 

normal laptop not being as accurate as most Temperature Compensated crystals used in all pro Time Code Generators.

Nowdays, a Mac 'learns from it's mistakes'. It checks network time every now and then, compares that with previous checks and calculates its average offset, and compensates for that to make it fairly stable, so it's not that much of an issue anymore. (But no, it's obviously not genlock stable.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2019 at 12:11 PM, Philip Perkins said:

If you are using gear (cameras) that will stay stable w/o genlock, or even cameras that will talk to the JB1s.  Meanwhile, back at the laptop....

Sub $1K solution with genlock:

3x TCS Ltd Ultrasync ONEs