HP Video Transmitter

JonG

I just worked on a show that came through town, and the camera folks were using these video transmitters that I’ve never seen before. The brand is HP Video and these are simply called Model 1. I looked up the web site and found that they operate on 5gHz, but I can’t find out anything about the power level in which they transmit. I wrote the company but surprise, no reply. 

The only reason why I care is because I feel like they may have zapped my block 20 SRB somehow, if that is possible, because as soon as I powered it up on set it began behaving abnormally, as I discuss in another thread. My block 21 SRB was also receiving hits, as well as my Comtek 216s. 

I have a feeling that these things may not have FCC approval, and are likely spewing out RF all over the place. The DP on the project said “my friends make these so I decided to try them out” and of course had no other information about them besides that. 

http://hpvideo.tv/index.php/online-store/wireless-video-audio/hd-wireless-2/hd-wireless

C3336D9F-69FF-41C9-9562-D6FC9BA289F2.jpeg

I am looking at their website. 1 mile on 5 GHz? That is a tall order, especially with obstacles. There is much less noise on 5 GHz than on 2.4, but with half the wavelength a wall is a large obstacle. If the claim is true they must be using quite a high power. So, FCC certification...

The website is on a cheap hosting company, registered by a Glendale CA resident and other than the HPVIDEO name I don't see any formal company stuff. So it must be a really tiny company or a one man show. Searching for the registrant name I saw some hits on the Texas Instruments support forum. 

And there are obvious typos on the website:

http://hpvideo.tv/index.php/online-store/wireless-video-audio/hd-wireless-2/white-red-jacket-detail

What is a "3.5 Gb antenna"? I guess he wanted to write "dBi". 

Going to the FCC OET (Office of Engineering and Technology) a search come up with:

There are no applications on file that match the search criteria specified: 
Applicant Name: HPVideo 

I asked them for their FCC ID Grantee Code (FCCID). It's not in their literature. For instance Lectro's is DBZxxxx

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

1 hour ago, JonG said:

billing the production company for my SRB damage

Agreed. 

You went to use your functioning equipment. It failed. Regardless of definition, the equipment worked and then it did not by no fault of your own. Your out the money you spent to provide working equipment. That requires compensation for loss or ( damages). 

If one rents a hotel room and doesent sleep in the room one still pays for said room. Especially if reason for not staying was inability to use room caused by their party. Maybe the room is rentable after repair maybe it only takes a good cleaning, but that’s the owners discretion not the renter. 

41 minutes ago, borjam said:

damaging it permanently? I really doubt it.

Permanently damage is not necessary. The item is no longer guaranteed mission critical trustworthy. 

I agree with the argument that if someone caused equipment failure, that constitutes need for replacement, in addition to rental fee. This is a business not a hobby. You didn’t make it so that you have to verify your equipment and pay for bench time. 

Miss you buddy,

Hope your doing well. 

D

14 hours ago, Dalton Patterson said:

Permanently damage is not necessary. The item is no longer guaranteed mission critical trustworthy. 

My apologies, English as a second language ;) I forgot that "damages" includes the costs incurred to solve the situation, not necessarily actual physical harm to yoru gear. 

So, indeed, someone should reimburse the costs incurred.