More on the Christian Bale rant

Sonny

I know we've discussed the Christian Bale "Terminator" rant here before and that it sparked a discussion on rights to privacy that actors should (and usually can) expect on set.  Well, Christian is talking about it again, and mentions the understanding that actors have with us regarding eavesdropping.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/apr/30/christian-bale-terminator-salvation-rant

I couldn't wade through all of the reader comments of the Guardian article, but I hope someone pointed out that the camera was rolling and that the director never called cut (wasn't that the consensus?).

It appears that CB goes out of his way to blame the sound mixer. He doesn't add speculation of editorial, production, or other possible sources of the leak.

Did they walk off set to continue the fight?  If so I would hope the mixer would have stopped recording...

Perhaps the audio that was leaked was *not* from a production sound roll but from an EPK feed or perhaps even someone tuned into the Tx freq or tuned into the Comtek channel?

Dan Izen

Did they walk off set to continue the fight?  If so I would hope the mixer would have stopped recording...

Perhaps the audio that was leaked was *not* from a production sound roll but from an EPK feed or perhaps even someone tuned into the Tx freq or tuned into the Comtek channel?

Dan Izen

As previously discussed, I think we determined that this all took place on set in front of everyone, and in my opinion with no expectation of privacy.

It's a shame that Christian Bale blames the mixer.  Christian is the origin of the sound, and although the quality of the recording obviously makes the source of the recording his wireless mic, the debate of whether to record or not record is full of legal and moral issues.  If we are being paid, we do not own the tracks we record, and once we turn them over, our responsibility with regard to actor privacy is done.

Robert

this has been researched, and discussed...

we have heard from the highly respected mixer involved, who had been out of the country for months when the recording surfaced.

yes, it was his recording

yes he was rolling,

yes it was a take, that is,

yes they were shooting,

and yes,  "CUT" was not called.

and absolutely: "NO" the mixer was not the source of the recordings surfacing, absolutely N O

having witnessed some on set tantrums and F-bombs, that doesn't necessarily kill my respect for a professional,  but this latest, undeserved insult by Mr. Bale seals his standing in my opinion

• 2 weeks later...

It is so patently clear that Mark Ulano had nothing to do with leaking the recording to the media. For Christian Bale to continue to blame the sound mixer is at the very least ill-informed. The only thing Mark is guilty of is not cutting the take. Remember, this recording surfaced a full 7 months after it was recorded.

Here, from a recent news article: "The tape was initially leaked after being sent by studio executives to an insurance company in case Bale went ahead with his threats to bail on the film and although the source behind the leak was being investigated, no finger has yet to be pointed."

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

as no "cut" call is heard on the tape, he is not really "guilty of...not cutting", he is guilty of properly doing his job!

I have had little rants happen during takes (ok, nothing nearly this extreme!) and the folks involved suddenly "recovered", and continued (or restarted) the scene.  imagine the potential rant aimed at the sound mixer if something like that had happened, and then the sound mixer said s/he had cut the take on their own!!

I suspect Mr. Bale has some issues...

Doesn't Mr Bale even say to the first something along the lines of we will not take a minute, let's just do it again now?

Yes, that is what he said, sort of. The 1st AD (or someone) says "let's just take a minute" and Christian Bale says "no, we will NOT take a minute, let's just do it again now" but this was AFTER over 4 minutes of tirade. There are those who think Mark Ulano should have cut and then stayed ready to roll again if necessary, and there are others who feel there was nothing wrong with rolling until someone says "Cut".

-  Jeff Wexler

here's what i wrote about this on RAMPS:

I think this calls for professional organizations like CAS and the

sound union to stand up and announce support of the sound mixer. What

else does CAS do except give an award every year, what is the value of

being a CAS member? The sound unions - are they going to stay mum?

Are we people going to write about this in these usenet groups and

JW's private group and just "discuss" it or laugh it off?

How many of us sound mixers have faced inordinate trouble from actors?

If there is a poll on this one, i am sure it will be a majority. Why

then should we keep taking shit from them? I remember a senior sound

mixer - when i wrote to him saying i saw a film he had done (this was

many years after) - he wrote back saying actor xxx behaved like an

asshole during the entire shoot. Now this mixer has branched off and

become a successful businessman, mentor and friend of the sound

community.

Mr Ulano is very right in keeping his silence. Any word from him will

become a part of the paparazzi playground - which this whole incident

has become. I am sure anyone who has worked with him (producers and

directors to start with) will have NO problems hiring him again and

again in the future. Any attempts by anyone to taint the good name of

a sound mixer of Mr. Ulano's stature should be answered with some

strength by the bodies that stand for sound in the US. This is my

humble and strong opinion.

-vin

I think the words "cut" may not have been spoken, but I expect the cameras cut.  The cut was surely implied.  It's a personal choice to have kept rolling or not.  Personally, I would have kept rolling to document the event in case of an unfortunate outcome.  I might have asked the producer if I should erase it from dailies and give him the only copy, just to cover my ass, but that's about all I might have done differently.

Why does this keep going on and on?  Seriously, did something come up again, or is it just hurt egos on all sides, with everyone trying to save face.  A series of 'f-ups', move on, nothing to see here.

On a side note.. It always cracks me up when 'we', in Hollywood, are expected to all be 'prefect'.  Seriously.. NASA doesn't even have these kind of exacting standards.

-Richard

Thank you RVD... I feel this will put an end to all kinds of paparazzi based attempts to further this matter. Whether Bale is professional in his ways in general or not is not being talked about in the hallways, but now Mark Ulano is being dragged through them. This letter as you mention is not actually for the general public - but for the film community in general. These organizations exist because of the fine people who are a part of it - like Mr. Ulano for instance.

-vin

Finally, to lasoundmixer, Christian Bale is from Wales which would make him Welsh not a Brit.

Sorry to be pedantic - it would make him a Brit - Brit = British, encompassing the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island, or England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Island, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man. So he is both.

As I said, sorry for being pedantic!

The English also like to refer to themselves as English rather than British - the term Brit or notion of being British only really comes into play when a) referring to an English person in movies, B) the Olympics, c) when Andy Murray or any N. Irish, Scottish or Welsh sports person is doing well, d) martial victories.

Jamie (born in England to an Irish Father and a half Scottish Mother), Brit (or something)

" Why does this keep going on and on?  Seriously, did something come up again, "

well. actually, yes!  Mr. Bale brought it up again during the publicity circus for the movie opening!

and specifically, while he admitted (DOH!) that his rant had happened, he tried to deflect it to being the issue of how it got out, and he specifically blamed the production sound crew, describing them as being unprofessional.

...and he specifically blamed the production sound crew' date=' describing them as being unprofessional.[/quote']

I'd like to be an interviewer just to ask Mr. Bale: "so let me get this straight: you hate both the cinematographer and the sound mixer? Was there anyone on the crew you did get along with?"

--Marc W.