Sanken CS3E Selfnoise

Mattias Larsen

Hi Soundies,

I have recently been thinking of the selfnoise of my CS3E and I am not sure if it was always this high or if it has raised over time. I want to know if this level is normal, maybe someone can chime in or know where I should turn to if I live in Germany?

I did an unscientific test of lining up my SCX1HC and MKH416 trying to get claps and my voice in the same ballpark on the meters with 80hz hp engaged on the MP6. The difference is quite noticeable, but given that the other mics are lower noise it may not help much. If anyone is interested to listen to the polywav anyway, i have attached it. Maybe someone have a feeling for if its way out of spec or as it should be expected?

Selfnoise test.png

SelfnoiseTest-002.WAV

Assuming that the phantom power was the same for all and that you understand that the Audix has a lower output level than the others. how does that affect your findings? Having all 3 mics pulling on the same phantom at the same time could affect your results. I would suggest that you check out the new Sanken CS-M1 to replace all 3 of those you have.

Yeah I am aware that Cs3e was never low noise in that sense 15dba and the Audix and Sennheiser are a few dbs lower than that (but should be in the same ballpark). It's my favorite shotgun as it is really a problem solver, the lack of proximity effect is super. If common sense is that the mic is within spec I guess it's fine. Or is there a way to have it checked by Sanken without sending it to Japan? 

When I owned a CS3e I noticed a higher self noise than some of my other mics. Was never an issue for exteriors, but bothered me for certain interior scenes.

i never loved the sound of it and ended up selling it for a Sennheiser 8060. Not as directional, but dead quiet with a nicer tone.

Wouldn't the mkh60 be the quiter shotgun? I doubt (in terms of selfnoise) that I would hear much of a difference on a DPA 4017 or a 8060 to the MKH416, but I could be wrong.

The selfnoise is not much of an issue in reality though, if the selfnoise of the mic is what bothers me with a shot outdoors, then I have been extremely lucky. I can notice it quite present on outdoor "room tones" but I think it's the combination of the tight pattern and that the mic is tilted down as while booming to capture the same timbre. Maybe someone has an alternative strategy when capturing ambiances from outdoor, angling it towards the soundsourse? Sometimes I do a bit of both. 

For indoors or ortf I am mainly using the Audix which I am happy with but considering trying out Nevaton MC59 for really quiet spaces when I save up some. 

Yeah it’s noisey. Not a good choice in a quiet room with whisperers. But a great choice for most exteriors and people who actually push air. 

Tried recording some very quiet ambience in the New Mexico desert with it a few weeks back and mic hiss was about all I could hear, pretty useless for that. But even my Schoeps CMC5 was too hissy in that quiet environment. Needed a Sennheiser or DPA but only had those two. CMC6 would have been a little better. 

1 hour ago, Derek H said:

Tried recording some very quiet ambience in the New Mexico desert with it a few weeks back and mic hiss was about all I could hear, pretty useless for that. But even my Schoeps CMC5 was too hissy in that quiet environment. Needed a Sennheiser or DPA but only had those two. CMC6 would have been a little better. 

I do not know if it is relevant, but for such environments (obviously not the desert, as I live in Europe) I have an AT 4025 in my arsenal.

Not very expensive, but very capable. Pair it with a BBG for mild winds. It may fit blimps as well but I haven't tried it.

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/5bbed15003fe56a2/index.html

5 hours ago, Mattias Larsen said:

Yeah I am aware that Cs3e was never low noise in that sense 15dba and the Audix and Sennheiser are a few dbs lower than that (but should be in the same ballpark). It's my favorite shotgun as it is really a problem solver, the lack of proximity effect is super. If common sense is that the mic is within spec I guess it's fine. Or is there a way to have it checked by Sanken without sending it to Japan? 

I believe Plus24 (The US Sanken distributor) will listen to and check out a mic before sending it to Japan if you'd like. They did that for mine when I sent it over a couple of years ago anyway. 

-Mike

Gruppe 3 is the Sanken distributor in Germany. They have offices in Munich and Berlin. Talk to them if you want your mic checked. 

The Sanken is a bit noisier, but it also has a much higher sensitivity, so at least you can turn down your preamp gain a bit

1 hour ago, Constantin said:

Gruppe 3 is the Sanken distributor in Germany. They have offices in Munich and Berlin. Talk to them if you want your mic checked. 

The Sanken is a bit noisier, but it also has a much higher sensitivity, so at least you can turn down your preamp gain a bit

Thank you Constantin! Good to know that they have a place in Berlin. I will give them a try once my schedule calms down :)