TC rates and sync box settings

wolf

• 3 years later...

Yeah! Please maintain that link to that guys website that you posted 3 years ago.

unrealexpectations.com

:)

When a post comes up as unread, sometimes I don't immediately start reading the date it was posted. Instead I read the content and the content seemed promising. This happens every now and then to multiple people on this site. Innocent mistake that two of us made today.

It's nice to know I can always count on someone at JW to be a smart ass though.

8)

Sorry Malcolm.

then set it for 23.976.

It wasn't the time code rate I was querying (We will be shooting at 24 fps.) but whether I need to connect and set the sync even though we are not recording the audio. on the camera.

I apologise for the confusion Mike I should have mentioned this.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

Malcolm, on the Alexa shoots I've worked on we didn't use a Clockit/Denecke box. If you jam the Alexa directly (5 pin LEMO standard), it will hold sync. I rejammed at lunch, but it probably wasn't necessary. Very reliable timecode circuitry on camera (Ambient). AC should guide you through the procedure. note: don't know about PAL world, but it's probably 23.98 you need.

Chris Newton

Does anyone know the settings for a Deneke box on an Elexa.

The Senator is right! There are many European users shooting 25fps on Alexa, and American users shooting at 23.976. I haven't run into a 24.00fps Alexa shoot yet, but for all I know, it's possible.

I'd get the post department to send you a memo in writing specifying picture frame rate and timecode rate, and my own feeling is that picture timecode and sound timecode should be identical (or as identical as humanly possible), plus a timecode slate jammed to sound. I have found the Alexas will hold a jam for a decent amount of time, but I still rejam them every 5-6 hours or after a major move. I had two recent Alexa shoots in a row, one where they ran it in external from a Denecke SB-T (23.976), and one where they just jammed it every so often, and both worked perfectly.