Weird lav sound

TVPostSound

I am a Re-Recording Mixer by trade, but my second love is recording sound effects and ambiences, so 

Im not very save with lavs.

I need to speak to my production mixer (for the lack of a better term) about interviews he does.

I have a female lav recording that "snaps" on consonants like the C and K in the word cake. To the point I have to make and edit in front

of said consonant, and do a hard fade up. 

What do I tell this person, is it the way he mounted the lav?, Is it a bad lav?

Ill upload a clip Tuesday if need be.

Thanks

I do not think it's a placement issue or a damaged mic, likely some component being clipped somewhere in the signal chain. Is the lav wireless? Over-driving a transmitter's input stage can cause that type of sound. So can feeding line level to a mic level input.. a common mistake of inexperienced folks. Is the audio from a camera?

Thanks

I understand they are using COS11 wireless (why on earth wireless in a sit down interview?) Most likely illegal blocks.

SD 788, I downloaded the stick to see if it was the file.

2 Lavs and boom only, don't even ask me about using the boom!!!

Lav Levels are 15 to 20dB low. Boom sounds like its 10 feet away in a warehouse.

EDIT: Just found out, its the AC mixing the interviews (AAAARRRGGGHHH)

35 minutes ago, TVPostSound said:

Thanks

I understand they are using COS11 wireless (why on earth wireless in a sit down interview?) Most likely illegal blocks.

SD 788, I downloaded the stick to see if it was the file.

2 Lavs and boom only, don't even ask me about using the boom!!!

Lav Levels are 15 to 20dB low. Boom sounds like its 10 feet away in a warehouse.

Hahahaha, well hopefully it’s the last time.

On 5/19/2019 at 10:28 PM, TVPostSound said:

Boom sounds like its 10 feet away in a warehouse. 

:( Good luck to ya.

Are wired lavs standard for sit-downs? As much as I would like that, I’ve still been asked to run wireless for interviews.

8 minutes ago, TVPostSound said:

No they use the same wireless on interviews as they are post competition interviews.

Why run wireless for interviews, whats the advantage, I see none.

Because people do silly things. Most want to bolt from the chair the moment the interview is over. Saves a broken wire and reduces tripping hazard.

I have a hard enough time just getting the boom out of the way before someone stands up into it. Not everyone knows to stay put until they have been de-wired.

2 hours ago, carbonhobbit said:

Because people do silly things. Most want to bolt from the chair the moment the interview is over. Saves a broken wire and reduces tripping hazard.

I have a hard enough time just getting the boom out of the way before someone stands up into it. Not everyone knows to stay put until they have been de-wired.

Totally and then they want to run away still wearing your transmitter etc!

In answer to TV POST SOUND:

Using a hard wired microphone can present problems in the control of dynamics.

Using a good radio system you will find that the excellent compressors and limiters

take control of louder unexpected peaks without audibly being detected.

Normal human speech has a wide dynamic range - just listen to a dinner table conversation.

If you have any spare time with you prod mixer give it a try both ways as it will surprise you!

mike

On 5/25/2019 at 4:03 PM, Mike Westgate said:

Totally and then they want to run away still wearing your transmitter etc!

In answer to TV POST SOUND:

Using a hard wired microphone can present problems in the control of dynamics.

Using a good radio system you will find that the excellent compressors and limiters

take control of louder unexpected peaks without audibly being detected.

Normal human speech has a wide dynamic range - just listen to a dinner table conversation.

If you have any spare time with you prod mixer give it a try both ways as it will surprise you!

mike

Funny you say that.

The issue as I figured it out is abuse of limiter function.

As proven. A radio system in a sit down interview is one more thing to go wrong.

There is no need to use a compressor or limiter in an interview.

Well maybe a limiter to keep it from slamming the top, but NO compressor.

Thats MY job in post!!

Todays "reality" mixer can't even drop a boom just above framing, and reality interviews are framed tightly.

On 5/30/2019 at 5:39 PM, TVPostSound said:

Funny you say that.

The issue as I figured it out is abuse of limiter function.

If this is an analog FM system, probably an artifact of the companding and pre-emphasis  in the Tx.   

Does the key jingle test produce the same artifact?   

You could suggest he  turn down the level at the Tx and up at the Rx.

Mark

On 5/30/2019 at 5:39 PM, TVPostSound said:

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 2:51 PM, TVPostSound said:

I am a Re-Recording Mixer by trade, but my second love is recording sound effects and ambiences, so 

Im not very save with lavs.

I need to speak to my production mixer (for the lack of a better term) about interviews he does.

I have a female lav recording that "snaps" on consonants like the C and K in the word cake. To the point I have to make and edit in front

of said consonant, and do a hard fade up. 

What do I tell this person, is it the way he mounted the lav?, Is it a bad lav?

Ill upload a clip Tuesday if need be.

Thanks

Did you upload the clip? I have had Cos 11 do some really wierd stuff twice. After another mic and transmitter receiver combo I tried a MKE and issue stopped. 

Thanks for following up, there have been more issues a Ive been going through the season.

Some interviews needing 30dB gain just to be in range, some LAVs so muffled like over compression, that the echoey boom with Izotope 

de reverb had to make due.

I looked at the credits sheet and found the "Interview mixer" , IMDB'd him, and noticed only PA credits!!!

Wrote to the Audio Supervisor, and pretty much threatened his never coming back to one of our shows, if he didn't 

"supervise" the interviews, or ever had that person working on sound!!!

The perks of being the in house re-recording mixer!!!!