744T and 2 X FS7 timecode workflow.

Kisaha

I have been given a 744T with only a 5pin Ambient cable to TC IN/TC OUT.

We will be using 2 FS7 cameras.

Does anyone know which is the best workflow to work with this setup, and what else do I need to make it work (e.g TC from 774T to 1 FS7, and from that FS7 to the other one?). I asked for wireless TC but it is not possible.

Any other comment/suggestion/tip for the 774T as a recorder will be appreciatable also.

there is no 5pin tc in at the fs7...

only bnc, so if you want hardwire you have to use TC Lemo out from 744t to bnc in of the fs7, better would be to use 2 sync boxes like tentacle with their cables...

if you go hardwire you need to split the bnc cable for your 2 cams, i think (correct me if i am wrong) that the fs7 can only do tc in or out with the same connector

Yes, the cable I have is lemo split to BNC IN and BNC out (so I can choose to give timecode to the FS7, or take from the FS7, I was planning to give).

I am not sure if there is a passthrough TC from one FS7 to the other. I will search for the manual later..

Cheers.

This is assuming your fs7's have the "pro" back not sure what it is called but supplies tc io and battery. There is no pass thru only one port with switch in and out. Use a bnc T adapter to split your tc out to ea cam set to tc in and you are good to go. Worse case no back i manually punch in tc all the time with these cams and it holds well if they stay out of high speed. Tc stays accurate within a few frames to at least keep your recorded audio close

The cameras need XDCA backs to be able to input TC.  They have BNC connectors.  So to connect, you need 5 pin Lemo to BNC, right?  As was said the cameras will drift off a jam so to keep them in tight sync with your recorder you might want to consider putting one of the many available sync/TC boxes on the camera.

The one I saw it has the back and I did jam the 744T's TC on the Sony. (Indeed I set it to input and I had the 744 to output).

Do they drift easily?

I will have no other hardware available.

Thank you all very much.

Not the worst not the best.  If you have no TC boxes then jam the cameras (if they have the XDCA backs) from your 744 and then rejam them every few hours at least, if you can.  If they don't have the XDCAs you can't input TC to the cameras, so then get all the devices onto the same rough time-of-day TC if you can (ie set their TC to a value), then start them all at the same time in free-run TC mode, and use a slate to mark the takes.  Make sure you have a mic working on both cameras, that will help post sync to your files a lot.   If you don't have a real slate a steady hand-clap, full frame and in focus, will work.  Keeping some notes about what take is at what audio TC will help them too.  If they have audio-to-audio sync capability in post (like PluralEyes) they can try that too.

Ok, that is what I wanted to hear, I have to keep jamimg at "short"-ish intervals.

This is a mixed production and I can't (=I am not paid to!) use my own equipment so I will use whatever they give me. I will bring only a couple of wireless kits and an Audix kit just for safety. 

We will be filming on some dodgy areas also, so I wouldn't like to risk my own equipment for free.

Thank you very much for the suggestions.

Working with 2 FS7 is what I do most of the time by now. I do jam from the 633 at least once per hour, or, if available use Nano Lockits on cams and mixer, jamming wirelessly from time to time. No complaints.

Sometimes the tc i/o switch got switched during the shoot by accident. I "lock" it with adhesive tape.