Gefell M310 and other super-cardioids/cardioids for dialogue AND music recording

Andrej H

11 hours ago, pillepalle said:

@ Werner Althaus

Yes, there might be some old mics that they don't support because they have no spare parts any more, but generally their support is quite good. At least here in germany. 

Greetings

Totally agree, the reason I mentioned this is that some people believe MG has a direct link to their past, like other historic brands due to some deceptive advertising on their part early on, linking their brand to the Neumann legacy.

Just now, pillepalle said:

@ Werner Althaus

I think they are linked to the past, but not in a way that they repair 70 year old mics. You can get some new capsules, or parts for old microphones depending on what you have. In this Video he presents for example a rebuilt of the M7 Capsule that fits on the old tube mics from the 50th:

Greetings

Thanks for that video, my info might be outdated as it goes back to the G-Prime/ Gotham days when they co-owned MG, at that point they only supplied parts for microphones made since the early 90's according to Jerry Graham (owner of G-Prime/ Gotham).

Anyway, I have used a few MG mics and liked them, I just wasn't a big fan of some of the claims made regarding their part in the fabled Neumann saga.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2019 at 2:52 AM, JonG said:

I say go with Schoeps and buy an mk41 and mk4 capsule. You get the best of both worlds quite literally. 

I do not have experience with today’s Gefell mics, but I have seen people send them in for repairs seemingly regularly. I know that it is not the same company as yesteryears, only in name, much like Telefunken and other coveted vintage manufacturers who closed up shop years ago and suddenly reappeared in recent times. 

JonG is correct. Not the same company it once was. I'm partners in a small East German studio and we've had a bunch of  UM70's in and out.  They are magic, with a clear low end I could marry.  However, less than a year after getting one pair matched and they already need to go back with weird power short issues. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've been on a campsite near Paris for documentary work and made some location recordings with my m310. I've uplaoded a video on youtube of a ballad recorded in an ORTF like setup at about 5 feet distance from the two musicians. I've used two Rycote Baby Ball Gags as wind protection. There was quite some ambient noise around so the recordings conditions where far from ideal, but nevertheless I like the result. Also 10 days of camping in humid conditions near the river Seine the mics survived without any problem. 

Greetings

PS: Here's a cellphone snapshot from the setup somebody made during the recording

recording_.jpg

• 6 months later...
On 5/25/2019 at 2:25 AM, mikerobertson said:

Just a heads up - the MG 210 and 310 don't work with a Lectro plug on [without an additional piece]. Ive tried it with Audio Limited and Zax with success.

Hi There Mike.

What additional piece of are you referring to? I just bought the M310 and it is amazing! . I'm using it with a Sony UWP Plug ( Don't judge me) and for some reason there is a slight "warble" in the sound If I push the gain on very soft Dialogue. This does not happen on any of my other cheaper microphones. is it a 48V wiring problem of some sort you think? Let me know your thoughts.

8 hours ago, mikerobertson said:

I'm not really sure, it could be something to do with the optical coupling, or the up-charging to 80V across the membrane. Maybe someone with better engineering knowledge could chime in. 

It could also be the current draw from the plug in tx isnt sufficient....

• 3 months later...

I've found an intresting comparison of super and hyper cardioid mics from Schoeps, Gefell, Neumann and AKG. Not super scientific but nevertheless you can hear some differences. Owning the M310 from Gefell I always wondered how much different a Schoeps CK41 would sound. Now at least I have an impression 🙂 The Schoeps seems to have a tighter pattern and less ambience than the gefell and the Neumann has hyped or sharper highs, at least to my ears. Although the noise floor of the AKG generally is a little higher I quite like the sound of it. 

The outside test is made just to test how prone the mics are to wind noise.

Greetings