Nomad questions Zax tech can't answer

Jesse Flaitz

Warning: Annoyed rant below, here are the two questions:

How do you all get around Zaxcoms lack of PFL on input 9/10?  So far I have headphone presets I can cycle that solo those imputs on HP9/10, not really optimal.

Virtual fader issue was a bug induced in 8.01.  It will be fixed in an updated version.

Edit: removed an excessively (if warranted) antagonistic paragraph. It stands, but might be distracting to the two questions at hand. 

2 hours ago, Jesse Flaitz said:

Has anyone else experienced their virtual faders failing to work on v8.01? I bought a Nomad with 7.81 that had working vfaders, I updated it to v8.01 and now they seem to be totally ineffectual again.  Sounds like a firmware bug, but I've not seen anyone else talking about vfader problems so I go back to thinking it's an issue on my end.  The vfaders have no effect on post fader sends, they dont attenuate or amplify the signal at all.  They don't work with the setting at vfader+trim either, returns 1/2/3/4 just send the signal wherever it's bused like it's prefade sends.

I also asked about the reason virtual faders were not functional on my Nomad 12, v8.01.  After three weeks of calling while their Nomad technicians seemed to be permanently at lunch, and no follow ups to email requests until I expressed my dissatisfaction (even then I got "have you tried factory reset?" voicemail, which I tried).  Finally I gave up on trying to get help on the phone and just sent in my Nomad 12 to zaxcom barely 3 months after the upgrade from a 10...

Obligatory I do like my Zaxcom stuff footnote, I just wish they didn't make it so difficult to like them as a company.  And boy do they make it difficult. 

I too am getting fed up with the Vfader issue. I’ve had to go back to 7.97(J?) in order to use them again but I lose the advanced 8.XX features. 

Many of us have repeatedly asked for this to be addressed and nothing has happened in.... a year, maybe? 

Cheers,

Evan Meszaros

10 minutes ago, hobbiesodd said:

I too am getting fed up with the Vfader issue. I’ve had to go back to 7.97(J?) in order to use them again but I lose the advanced 8.XX features. 

Many of us have repeatedly asked for this to be addressed and nothing has happened in.... a year, maybe? 

Cheers,

Evan Meszaros

I don’t mind so much the bugs or “features” that come along with large updates. What annoys me greatly is being told “oh I’m not sure”, or “ask other mixers about it on Facebook”. When these problems are KNOWN. Just tell me you don’t know what’s wrong or you’re working on it, don’t pretend like there is some solution I missed. 

27 minutes ago, Jesse Flaitz said:

I don’t mind so much the bugs or “features” that come along with large updates. What annoys me greatly is being told “oh I’m not sure”, or “ask other mixers about it on Facebook”. When these problems are KNOWN. Just tell me you don’t know what’s wrong or you’re working on it, don’t pretend like there is some solution I missed. 

Please let us know what Glenn says. 

Cheers,

Evan

It took a while for us to figure out that we broke the virtual faders when version 8.00 came out. We are working on the fix now so I hope to have it out soon. This fix has been on the back burner too long. We will see if we can find a way to PFL inputs 9-10. This is a hardware limitation due to the number of available buttons on the front panel. The use of returns 1-4 as inputs was an after the design kind of thing that has some limitations that the hardware makes difficult to deal with. We will see if we can find a work around.

Glenn

6 hours ago, glenn said:

It took a while for us to figure out that we broke the virtual faders when version 8.00 came out. We are working on the fix now so I hope to have it out soon. This fix has been on the back burner too long. We will see if we can find a way to PFL inputs 9-10. This is a hardware limitation due to the number of available buttons on the front panel. The use of returns 1-4 as inputs was an after the design kind of thing that has some limitations that the hardware makes difficult to deal with. We will see if we can find a work around.

Glenn

Thank you for the straight forward response, this helped a lot. This was not the response I had received from tech support. I received what could be described as “uncertainty”, especially with the virtual fader issue. As if there was something that could be done about it, if only someone knew what it was. That is not an acceptable answer as far as I’m concerned. 

Edit: I don't even really mind the lack of return 3/4 pfl as the HP preset thing kind of works and I need those inputs so rarely.  Again, it's just about being led to believe there was some solution to it when there wasn't. Much appreciated.

4 hours ago, glenn said:

Glenn

Thanks for the response, Glenn. Being stuck in 7.97 for so long has been frustrating on a daily basis, since that version has its own set of bugs. 

Looking forward to moving forward!

Cheers,

Evan Meszaros 

Great, the faders thing has long frustrated me. Another bug that still lingers is on the QRX100. When changing from dual to single, or single to dual, the frequency will read the correct number, but will be not tuned all the way. A reboot later and everything is cool.