Are cold post rooms sexist?

Jay Rose

Every post suite I've ever worked in has had aggressive air conditioning. (Dub stages? Not as much. I'm talking about video-style pix or audio rooms.)

Clients have often complained about about the temperature, and would ask me to make the room warmer. But mostly the female clients. (After the session I'd have to turn the 'stat back down to make the facility's CE happy.)

Some theorists maintain it's because corporate men usually have to wear suits - or at least buttoned collars and ties - while corporate women (even highly professional ones) expose more skin. But in a post environment, most of us - male and female - wear slacks or jeans and an open-collar shirt of some kind. The other likely cause is that men and women tend to have different metabolic rates, so different temperatures are more comfortable.

But now there's a study showing it's more than comfort: 

...in a large controlled lab experiment (N = 543)... [we find] at higher temperatures, women perform better on a math and verbal task while the reverse effect is observed for men.

I've always wondered why there were so few female audio post engineers, when we know women usually have much better hearing than men. Could our facility practices be part of the reason?

(Yes, plenty of other reasons in play, probably dating from a kid's earliest playtime exposures to STEM and reinforced by cultural norms throughout their education. This appears to be yet one more.)

4 hours ago, Jay Rose said:

Clients have often complained about about the temperature, and would ask me to make the room warmer. But mostly the female clients.

4 hours ago, Jay Rose said:

I've always wondered why there were so few female audio post engineers, when we know women usually have much better hearing than men. Could our facility practices be part of the reason?

Jay! Always a challenge, always a pleasure!

There's an old 'classic' Big Youth song, Mammy Hot Daddy Cool, which goes into this issue in more length - I will only quote the first line;

"The daughters like it hot, diddly - oh"

The second point is just this - both male and female selective hearing has been proved time and time again to be EXACTLY EQUAL!

Jez x

I will put in the female two cents:  I'm sure it isn't intentionally sexist and I would certainly (and have not) let air conditioning keep me from working in the studio, but I do believe that many women do feel temperature differently than men.  That said, I have worked in some production settings that were kept so cold that even the thought of going to work in them made me depressed.

Query: how was UofT GSU so sure of who the offender was, and how to find them online? Were there only two people on the train? Or did he* wiggle around and say "smell what I did"?

(*Unfair assumption. Women can be rapists as well. I believe they also fart when circumstances are, uh, ripe.)

1 hour ago, Jay Rose said:

Query: how was UofT GSU so sure of who the offender was, and how to find them online? Were there only two people on the train? Or did he* wiggle around and say "smell what I did"?

(*Unfair assumption. Women can be rapists as well. I believe they also fart when circumstances are, uh, ripe.)

Well, you can eliminate all the women on the train because women don't fart. Just ask them. That leaves just the men and since all men are guilty just by way of gender it doesn't really matter who you pin it on.  If it wasn't the exact perpetrator this time, he is certainly guilty of it in the past so it all comes out in the wash.

1 hour ago, Olle Sjostrom said:

Wow. We just got trolled by a troll who got trolled by another troll 

No, really just a simple troll. 

Strangely enough, among 100 troll posts he has one post  that’s actually worth your while. 

Wish it were the other way around

Anyway, it’s Interesting how everything can be analyzed and make a point out of, even though it’s totally moot. Adjust the temperature and move on. And on farting: I have a lot of male friends who fart to get attention. It’s stupid and offensive. Just don’t do it. I don’t feel raped if anyone does it, I just feel sorry for the asshole (no pun intended) farting. 

3 hours ago, Mirror said:

I've never been in a site where so many people have zero sense of humor.  

Later bruh....

At first blush, you appear to possess an acute lack of awareness. 

But that's not what's really happening here.  First, you bait people with an obvious politically polarizing stance, and then accuse them of not having a sense of humor if they're unhappy with you diverting an otherwise interesting discussion. 

The worst kind of passive aggressive that belongs somewhere other than this forum. 

An interesting aspect is that it's not strictly gender-based. Metabolism, circulation, etc., certainly figures into it. Good air circulation also makes a difference. 

I have a friend who'd much rather live in a refrigerator than be even a little bit too warm. Like Daniel above, I'm of the opposite polarity. 

As far as in-studio temp, I find that if the room is adjusted reasonably, I've never had either males or females even mention it. 

18 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

At first blush, you appear to possess an acute lack of awareness. 

But that's not what's really happening here.  First, you bait people with an obvious politically polarizing stance, and then accuse them of not having a sense of humor if they're unhappy with you diverting an otherwise interesting discussion. 

The worst kind of passive aggressive that belongs somewhere other than this forum. 

Politically polarizing?  A meme poking fun at people that think that men farting is on par with rape in a  thread about the temp in mixing rooms being sexist is too far of a stretch for you?  OK boring guy, continue watching Downton Abby and naval gazing.