Intercom system for receiption

Matthias Richter

I´ve got a scene coming up where 2 actors will have dialog through a door with a window (glass). For them to hear each other we need an intercom system. Basically 2 small loudspeaker that gets a feed from the opposite side.

To have the dialog as clean as possible I want those speakers to just engage if the other side is speaking.

I thought to use Automix from my Nomad but (correct me if I´m wrong) that won´t work since the Automix will send both signals to one single output. I can´t use Automix as a gate / expander can I?

Other idea was to use 2 lavs / 4098 using Zaxcom TRXs and engage the expander in an extrem manner.

Or use the actor´s lavs, fade them up / down pretty hard and use those direct outs as feed for the speakers.

Or use IEM but that might be not possible with camera

Any other ideas?

Best, Matthias

I would give two individuals either Phonaks Invisity, or Roger earpieces. They are tiny and fit in the ear (so no extra pack), and can be painted with makeup to blend in. The Invisity works with a 216 transmitter (Comtek or Listen Tech) and the Roger will need a Roger base station. I don't think speakers will work, you'll just end up with bleed.  Hope this helps!

https://www.phonak-communications.com/en/products/ear-prompter/

https://www.roger-studio.com/

Budget ... I would need 2 TX for the phonak or else the actors hear themselves 

I did a similar scene last year using the radios direct outs (AF) into speakers  which went ok. 

I think if I use additional mics treated with the expander AND put them on faders which I will fade with the dialog it should be alright.

If the actors are well trained, they can hear themselves without hurting the performance. 

But yes, it'll be more natural if they can hear only the opposite voice.

(And even more natural if they're hearing it coming from the door/window with small speakers, rather than sourceless and in one ear.)

But hey, it's all make-believe...

Actors hearing themselves should be okay  as long as there’s no delay. Once you introduce delay, you will need to use two transmitters and make a mix minus. I can understand that budget may be of a concern, but the elegant and less hassle solution is to use earwigs. 

Maybe theres a local audio audio shop which you can rent from and they can help out on price. Other than that I feel that speaker solution will just cause more work than needs to be. 

I will suggest the obviously more elegant version using phonaks. The „should be ok“ part of the actors needs either asking / testing in advance or 2 TXs to be on the safe side. 

Since I have used the speaker version with that very same director last year as a quick and dirty DIY solution he probably won’t understand why we can’t use that system again.

Thanks for your input gentlemen!

22 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

I would put a receiver and a small speaker in each room tuned to the opposite room's mic, and make a point of no overlaps. 

Feedback occurs with this configuration unless you turn the speakers way down and point them away from the mic and actors. Not the best configuration since even pumping one mic will/could upset the apple cart.  

1 hour ago, Mirror said:

Feedback occurs with this configuration unless you turn the speakers way down and point them away from the mic and actors. Not the best configuration since even pumping one mic will/could upset the apple cart.  

You obviously need to position and adjust them properly. 

2 hours ago, Mirror said:

that’s true if I don’t fade the mic down that  would pick up the actor (and loudspeaker) in the opposite room. And also if there was too much bleed through the door. But then I wouldn’t need the comm-system anyway.