Comtek alternatives

berniebeaudry

...can you use one transmitter base station, say like the Comtek BST-75 and tune in multiple receivers?

Yes, as many as you want. Think of it as setting up a little radio station; you can have as many "listeners" with receivers as you want. I remember a few years ago Mark Weingarten on the set of Santa Clause 3, on the first day of the shoot, and he told me he had 24 Comtek receivers going. Yikes...

--Marc W.

Wow, that's great. 24??? That many people need to have their ears tunned in, huh?

Thanks Marc.

That many people NEED to feel involved...  the Comtek headset (or equivalent) has become the backstage pass for many of the people who are on the set who often have loosely defined responsibilities or participation. Some sets have lots of guests and they all need to have headsets and a large monitor to watch.

That many people NEED to feel involved...

I did a media day for a studio recently. Very simple day 442  2 wireless 2 boom on C-stand 702T as backup. Talent and interviewer. They wanted 20 Comteks and I laughed. Being most a reality guy, I have 6 headsets. After talking to them more I told them I could easily set up a self powered speaker in the green room area and get away with my 6 comteks BTW If any of you don't own a Remote Audio Speak Easy self powered speaker you should it is great for this kind of stuff.

Wow, that's great. 24??? That many people need to have their ears tunned in, huh?

It depends upon how many suits and guests are on-set and how spread out things are.  The crew will need more sets if they're not close enough to the talent to hear.  My top, so far, was 15-16 Comteks on a Boost Mobile spot (plus a 216 for the boom op when we went wireless boom). The location was a race track (It's the set of commercials in which Danica Patrick's pit crew is in drag).

John B.

" can you use one transmitter base station, say like the Comtek BST-75 and tune in multiple receivers? "

that is how radio transmitters work! that is also where the term "broadcasting" came from...

any RX that is in range of the signal, tuned to the frequency, and compatible (and even some that are not quite!!) can receive the signal from the transmitter.

Has anyone used the Garmin Rino radios?

I'm thinking of picking up a handful of units for my own private lines to my boom op or utilities that is completely independent of other production channels.  They do have earpiece and automatic handsfree operation so you don't have to PTT.  The GPS / map feature looks really cool too, so I can keep tabs of where my people are in geographic relationship to myself.  Good for days when I'm in someplace larger like Kualoa ranch here on Oahu.  There is even an encryption option for privacy.  I don't think it replaces something as ubiquitous as the Comteks, but good for my own in-departmental use.

rf-lg.jpg

" can you use one transmitter base station, say like the Comtek BST-75 and tune in multiple receivers? "

that is how radio transmitters work! that is also where the term "broadcasting" came from...

any RX that is in range of the signal, tuned to the frequency, and compatible (and even some that are not quite!!) can receive the signal from the transmitter.

Yes Senator, I know how wireless systems work. I just didn't know you could have THAT MANY receivers getting a clean signal with one base transmitter. It is a mini radio station.

Like I said, I am still an amateur...but I'm learning thanks to all of you!

Cheers.

O.M.

G'day Tom,

I picked up a few of these units (or very similar ones - Rino 520) 2nd hand off our locations department once we returned to studio-work on a film a few years ago. (they used the GPS track function to scout/return to locations during a VERY remote shoot in the north west of Australia)

never used for communication during a shot, but I've found them extremely useful for communication between Mixer-utility as an alternative to production radios. (at 5-watt setting I seem to remember it cutting my comtek reception when I was transmitting)

my original decision to purchase was based on using the units during skiing holidays (units transmit their GPS location over the radio, HUGE battery life, no license required, can expand with cheaper/smaller units)... and being 2nd hand, production sold them to me quite cheap.

powerful transmission (variable up to 5 watt), and useful as an accurate speedometer when driving to set (if you don't have an in-car GPS)

cheers

Ian

Has anyone used the Garmin Rino radios?

I'm thinking of picking up a handful of units for my own private lines to my boom op or utilities that is completely independent of other production channels.  They do have earpiece and automatic handsfree operation so you don't have to PTT.  The GPS / map feature looks really cool too, so I can keep tabs of where my people are in geographic relationship to myself.  Good for days when I'm in someplace larger like Kualoa ranch here on Oahu.  There is even an encryption option for privacy.  I don't think it replaces something as ubiquitous as the Comteks, but good for my own in-departmental use.

rf-lg.jpg

Sorry gotta agree with everyone on here.  Go with comteks or lectro IFB's I've seen many used on ebay and all the sound companies around.

But I do love how the new comteks sound.  Just as good as lectro IFB's in my opinion.  One thing I am working on is I've ordered a headphone ampilfier and had a cable built for one of my comteks.  I'm gonna see if I can feed the headphone apmplifier with one comtek.  That way I just use one comtek but up to 5 people can listen.

What's the word on the street with regards to the new Zaxcom IFB units, the ERX1 and ERX2 (adds timecode ability).  They seem almost reasonably priced, especially the timecode unit, and I like the concept of an all-in-one boom op solution via the TRX992 / IFB100 combo.

Ive never worked on a job that Really needed more than 7 or 8 rx's , but that just me.However I know that people seem to appear on set and want to be with the in crowd and they come requesting a headset so you can never have too many.

So If you are going to spend the money to buy a wireless headset system, I would recommend that you go ahead and spend the extra money for The Comtek M-216 Transmiter and pr-216 receiver. With the older style you are stuck with the crystal(letter) frequency. The new ones have a selectable freq range. (adjusted by the 2 selection switches with a flathead screwdriver)and can use mono or stereo headphones. (its still a mono signal however). the portable TX is more versatile over the cart based tx because you cant bag a base station,But the base station does offer you more antenna options and has xlr input for mic/line signal .

Matt

Ive never worked on a job that Really needed more than 7 or 8 rx's , but that just me.However I know that people seem to appear on set and want to be with the in crowd and they come requesting a headset so you can never have too many.

So If you are going to spend the money to buy a wireless headset system, I would recommend that you go ahead and spend the extra money for The Comtek M-216 Transmiter and pr-216 receiver. With the older style you are stuck with the crystal(letter) frequency. The new ones have a selectable freq range. (adjusted by the 2 selection switches with a flathead screwdriver)and can use mono or stereo headphones. (its still a mono signal however). the portable TX is more versatile over the cart based tx because you cant bag a base station,But the base station does offer you more antenna options and has xlr input for mic/line signal .

Matt

You aren't stuck with the older "letter band" freq.s at all if you have a base-station TX (BST-xx).  I have picked up lots of crystal sets used very cheaply, and it isn't hard to swap the crystals in and out of RX. 

One thing about the crystals--they stay tuned!

Philip Perkins

I am using Sennheiser G2 IEM Rx's for monitoring. I use the EW100 transmitter which is fine in a bag or on the cart and the range and sound quality are great. I use Sennheiser HD202 headphones or other smaller open back types or the real cheap little Sony's that are $15/ea at Best Buy.

I worked on a film a few years back with UK mixer Ivan Sharrock and this what he was using, never had any complaints and we also had up to 20 out on the set on big days when people came out of the woodwork to watch explosions and gunfights etc

I also like the idea of feeding a 5 or 6 way headphone amp in the client/agency tent with one receiver for commercials, only problem is those headphones get yanked, left on ther ground, stepped on, and drinks spilled on em.. nothing new I suppose!

Jon Chiles

I am using Sennheiser G2 IEM Rx's for monitoring. I use the EW100 transmitter which is fine in a bag or on the cart and the range and sound quality are great. I use Sennheiser HD202 headphones or other smaller open back types or the real cheap little Sony's that are $15/ea at Best Buy.

I worked on a film a few years back with UK mixer Ivan Sharrock and this what he was using, never had any complaints and we also had up to 20 out on the set on big days when people came out of the woodwork to watch explosions and gunfights etc

I also like the idea of feeding a 5 or 6 way headphone amp in the client/agency tent with one receiver for commercials, only problem is those headphones get yanked, left on ther ground, stepped on, and drinks spilled on em.. nothing new I suppose!

Jon Chiles

Good idea Jon!

I guess I didn't consider the Sennheisers because the dedicated in ear tx were all rack mount.  Didn't consider using a regular tx to send with.  I imagine you set the sensitivity so it can take line level (out of SD 302 mix out), or is there a special cable for that?  I looked briefly on the net to get an idea of cost and everything seems to be sold as sets.  Where is a good place to get the pieces separately?

Best,

Bernie

Bernie, I too use the Senn 300 Tx with the Rx, but i also have a 100 Tx which i use with the Cantar in a bag. I think there should be no problem with the 100 Tx accepting a signal from the SD, it takes the Foldback signal directly from the Cantar. I was told my my dealer that it made sense to buy the 100 series as a set, and use the receiver somewhere. I found an immediate use for it - to send audio to the video village - using a threaded EP to RCA cable to connect to the VTR that they normally use. I hope all this helps...

-vin

Bernie,

I use the IEM 300 with an old version of the ew500 (because I had that tx already). I use a 10dB pad out of my 442 or 744 because I found the line level too hot for the tx. I bought the IEM rx from Gotham. They also sell a nice neoprene pouch that fits it really well. Just make sure to set your IEM 300 to mono.

Gabi.

post-795-130815082926_thumb.jpg

the ring is line level signal , tip is mic  so you can go directly line. if it to hot  , the 788and and 744 outs could go down up to  mic level.

Yes, that is correct. I found the tx to be "happier" with a - 10dBV signal than it would be with a +4dBu. Since I use the 744t outputs to feed video village I didn't want to bring the signal down to mic level and chose to keep it line level and bring it down with a pad to feed the tx. Works for me.

Gabi.

Any of the Sennheiser G1 or G2 EW100/300/500 beltpack Tx's will work to feed the IEM 300 G2 packs. The pilot tone on the Tx needs to be turned off however.

I have also used the EW100 Rx's for monitoring as well as Oleg says when you set the output to +6 or +12 you get enough level, but you need an adaptor to send the signal to both sides of your cans wich can strain the minijack and you need headpones with inline vol control. Other issue with these is they have antennae as Mr Sharman said, they do get bent and knked but havnt had one break.. and no doubt they are fairly tough as I see rock n roll guys touring with them.

As for a place to pick up the receivers alone, any dealer can get them for you, you might find good deals on the internet and I have picked up a few on ebay although that can be sketchy. 

Jon Chiles