Local 695 fees?

Don't join the Union until you're offered work.

Go to CSATF.org get on the experience roster.

Being rosterized is as good as being in the Union. Because at that point, its just about paying $$ to the local.

(I paid $3200 to the 700, and I was in the moment I signed a check.)

Find a union gig .

You can work 30 (work) days before needing to join, then you can pony up the $3K or so initiation, and $50 a month or so fees..

FIY, The local WONT find you work, you could be on an available list, but its all about networking.

To be fair, the question had no reasoning.

So call here:

(818) 985-9204 

14 minutes ago, RadoStefanov said:

I am already on a union show under another local.

I am familiar with the roaster procedure.

Are you on the CSATF roster?

Until you are, the 695 won't talk to you!!

I think this is the sort of question best answered by someone in the office who would have access to the latest costs. There are four people (at least) in the office competent to answer a question of this kind:

Scott Bernard, the Business Representative. (He generally makes himself available to members but probably has limited time to discuss issues of this sort.)

Joe Aredas, Assistant Business Representative, the Field Rep. Joe's father is a representative with the International and he, himself, has been a member and officer of Local 695 for many years.

Heidi Nakamura, Assistant Business Representative. She has similar responsibilities to Joe. I don't know her personally but she has been in that position for a few years.

Laurence Abrams, Education and Communications Director. Laurence has occupied that position for ten years or a bit longer. Previously he was a boom operator.

While the information you seek isn't directly available from the website, there is a contact link that you might use to send a message to any or all of the people above. You'll find it on the "Why Join?" page:

http://www.local695.com/html/whyjoin.html

Clicking on the links on that page generates an inquiry through the website but you could make your query to the attention of any or several of the people I named.

And, of course, you could call the Local directly:

(818) 985-9204

David

Yep!  You had better be working to pay those work dues 🙂  I was always a fan of calculating work dues off of payroll.  Those guys working more, and enjoying more local union benefits should pay more than those schlubs like me who went to work in LA for 6 weeks a year.  But what do I know?

D.

@RadoStefanov yes dues are around $300/quarter. I don’t know what the numbers look like for other positions. 

To be fair, a single union day as a mixer (with rental) should cover the cost of the dues, so all in all it is worth it. I will also add that if you are not in the union, you are less likely to get calls or referrals for those jobs. I label my contacts in my phone like “sound mixer LA 695”, so I can search for a mixer in Los Angeles that is 695 in case I need to make a referral. If your name doesn’t come up when I type in 695 in a contact search, you won’t get a referral. I doubt others are organized in the same way, but it works well for me. 

In any case, I’m sure you won’t have trouble getting in or finding work. 

1 hour ago, JonG said:

@RadoStefanov yes dues are around $300/quarter. I don’t know what the numbers look like for other positions. 

To be fair, a single union day as a mixer (with rental) should cover the cost of the dues, so all in all it is worth it. I will also add that if you are not in the union, you are less likely to get calls or referrals for those jobs. I label my contacts in my phone like “sound mixer LA 695”, so I can search for a mixer in Los Angeles that is 695 in case I need to make a referral. If your name doesn’t come up when I type in 695 in a contact search, you won’t get a referral. I doubt others are organized in the same way, but it works well for me. 

In any case, I’m sure you won’t have trouble getting in or finding work. 

More like cover it 4+ times over in one day.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...

you can surf the heath-care benefits as long as you meet the minimum required employer contributions per quarter. that minimum may vary from local to local. If you fail to get “enough” union days, you will be booted out of their eligibility for health insurance benefits fund…eventually… and until you re-acquire that minimum. I have played the game a few times.  

The IATSE National Benefits plan is a lot easier to keep than the MPIP. If your Local is signed up with the IATSENBP instead of MPIP then so long as you do an attainable number of days every 2 years you can stay in by self paying the difference. Check with your Studio Mechanic Local on that before you join.