633 lockup

Ed Denton

I recently had a catastrophic failure of my 633 and wondering if this is a known issue: I had my folder setup with top folder as the project title middle folder [daily] and bottom folder [scene]. Recording to both SD card (SanDisk Extreme 32) and CF (SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB). Recorded a whole day no issue, but at the end of the day I needed to make some changes to the file names on the CF that I was handing off to producers. I went into the take list and changed the scene name and when I hit enter I got an error message saying “file does not exist!” Then I tried to turn of the 633 where the whole machine locked up and wouldn’t power down. Even unplugging the external power and removing the internal AA’s and still it wouldn’t power down (I actually have no idea how it was still on, there must be an internal backup battery). I had to search online for the force power off method which worked. I turned the 633 back on and checked the card which thankfully had all the files still in place. I tried again to rename the scene and again the 633 locked up and would only power down with the force power off method.

I often change the scene name and I’ve never had issues before. The only thing I did differently this time was using the SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB which I believe is an approved CF card. I have never had problems with my SanDisk Extreme cards. 

Is this a known issue?

That failure would be "catastrophic" if you didn't get your files back. You had a firmware+media issue, kind of a big diff (and be grateful).  I have had issues with renaming in the past, but only on non-SD branded cards.  Any more if I can I only do renaming on a COPY of the file on a laptop in WaveAgent....  Consider also A: reload firmware (to current) and B: do a check-in with SD if you can.

there are several SanDisk Extreme Pro CF cards, but two of the 64GB are on the approved media list:

https://www.sounddevices.com/6-series-approved-media-list/

that said, personally I'd recommend to get some of the Sound Devices labeled cards for peace of mind since you never know.

SanDisk has changed their controllers on their Extreme Pro 95MB/s SD cards some months ago for example (without changing the labels), breaking them for some devices, plus there are counterfeit cards floating on the market.

chris

23 hours ago, Ed Denton said:

I often change the scene name and I’ve never had issues before. The only thing I did differently this time was using the SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB which I believe is an approved CF card. I have never had problems with my SanDisk Extreme cards. 

Is this a known issue?

Did you use memory cards provided by the production or your own tested memory cards?

For peace of mind, I only use my own memory cards in my 664. Same thing when I use a rented 633 or 688.

At the end of each day, I insert one of the production's memory cards, and copy the sound files to it.

So far, I've never had a lockup. * knock on wood *

Just my two cents

Fred