I decided it was time to improve my power distribution; I've been running multiple power supplies for my F8n and 302 and want to simplify things. I also want to be prepared for more bag work down the road. I'm trying to save money for mic upgrades, so I figured this would be a good place to go DIY.

To give credit where it's due, I got the idea for the BDS here:

https://henrirapp.com/diy-hirose-battery-distribution/

And grabbed the power meter circuit from here:

https://learn.adafruit.com/pro-trinket-power-meter/overview?embeds=allow

The hardest part of all this was getting the dimensions on the 3d printed remote housing correct, but when all was said and done it came together pretty well-

IMG_20190527_085048.jpg

And here's the system in use. For most jobs I'm stationary, so I picked up a 12v PSU to run the system as it's configured in the video. For mobile use I can switch over to a battery and enjoy less power draw since I won't have the FRC and 302 running. All in all I'm pretty pleased- it took about $150 dollars in parts, and gave me several hours of fun building it!

Thanks Philip! I wanted the meter to give me a single place to check the voltage, and thought the mAh reading could be useful as I add gear to the bag. And also… because it looks cool! It was $25 in parts, I figured what the heck.

Looks great! What batteries would you connect?

I've thought about making an adapter for Ikea's bluetooth speaker battery (Eneby), since it's quite a powerful pack for $20. It's rated at 14.4 v, 37 Wh. Making a cup for them would be an interesting project!

1 hour ago, Jacob Gustavsson said:

I've thought about making an adapter for Ikea's bluetooth speaker battery (Eneby), since it's quite a powerful pack for $20. It's rated at 14.4 v, 37 Wh. Making a cup for them would be an interesting project!

That is a very good value battery. And a nice shape. Are you going to charge them in the radio? Perhaps its possible to cannibalise the radio to make a shoe/charger.

5 hours ago, Jacob Gustavsson said:

I'm using a Talentcell 6000 mAh 12v pack with a built in USB port: https://amzn.to/2EDi5ip

$30 US. When I upgrade my radios I'll probably step up to an Inspired Energy battery rig, but for now this has worked with no issues

7 hours ago, daniel said:

That is a very good value battery. And a nice shape. Are you going to charge them in the radio? Perhaps its possible to cannibalise the radio to make a shoe/charger.

Using the speaker to charge it seems like a good start, but then it would be fun to try and create a separate charger, maybe even a dual bank charger. 

2 hours ago, Allen Rowand said:

I'm using a Talentcell 6000 mAh 12v pack with a built in USB port: https://amzn.to/2EDi5ip

$30 US. When I upgrade my radios I'll probably step up to an Inspired Energy battery rig, but for now this has worked with no issues

Nice, also very good value for the Talentcell. Inspired Energy is pretty neat with monitoring battery usage and approximate remaining time, it's a good upgrade but costs a bit more of course.

I think this is really cool that your making your own gear, I have been eyeing a BDS system for ahwile.

I have a few suggestions, positive reinforcement. 

You have to get the form factor down. It's gotta be nano sized. ( Try telephone wire for connectivity, or ethernet) RJ35 or whatever can take an underestimated amount of power. 

The toggle on/off is to tall. Should be recessed slide switch with indent, ( hard to turn off) and low profile. 

Again, this idea is really cool and gets my brain thinking. 

Cheers, 

D

Thanks @Dalton Patterson and @Mirror!

Dalton, I agree that it could be made a bit smaller. I could print an enclosure for the distribution end that would only be as big as necessary. I don't know about the wiring; it's only 18 gauge now. Downsizing the remote would take some work, though. It's not much bigger than the internal components, but I might be able to thin it if I shave connectors down.

Well, that didn't take long- v2 is built! The remote is mostly the same, just as small as I can make it:

IMG_20190612_145531.jpg

I shaved a couple mm off the thickness as well. Depending on how I mount it I might be able to not use the cover screws:

IMG_20190612_145639.jpg

The main distro is much smaller, thickness is roughly the same. I printed a cap to cover the unused output:

IMG_20190612_145711.jpg

There's a mode switch to set whether I'm running from a battery or mains:

IMG_20190612_145729.jpg

When in battery mode the power meter estimates the percentage of charge remaining. This assumes I'm using my 6000mAh pack and it's starting from a full charge:

IMG_20190612_145801.jpg

I've also programmed a low voltage warning:IMG_20190612_145844.jpg

In this photo I've hooked up a 9v battery to simulate low voltage; in real use it obviously wouldn't report 99% left. The battery mAh rating and low voltage warning level can be changed if/when I upgrade my battery. Looking forward to testing next week!

17 hours ago, Mattias Larsen said:

It looks really neat. Good work! 

Thanks! I still need to calibrate the battery percentage;  my work has been indoors with wall power, but I've hopefully got some bag work coming up.