Who says tumbleweeds don't have creativity

LarryF

square tumbleweeds.jpg

Though odd looking, the squared tumbleweeds are fully compatible with the rounder ones, often traveling in the same pack. The squared corners cause the squared version to bounce higher, catching more wind and adding to their range. Plant biologists think the squared shape is an evolution biased towards higher packing density, since it is well known that the West is running out of tumbleweed room.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Edited by LarryF
added s to tumbleweed in title

I’m very curious of the phrase, “the square tumbleweeds are fully compatible with the rounder ones.” Does this mean the new digital systems will also have analog FM compatibility because that would be amazing.

I’m also hoping that they have even better range now even though Lectro range is killer. 

I love how we are trying to solve Larry‘s riddles. Often they don’t seem to mean much, other than the advent of something new. Other times they really mean a lot. 

My bet is on a receiver that can both receive the digital ifb system‘s transmitter and the digital hybrid transmitters as well

Hopefully it’s something in the works. 

Im reposting an old post of mine which is hopefully what this is, if it actually is something new! Would love this idea to come to life someday. 

On 12/3/2015 at 9:49 PM,  Peter Mega said: 

As cool as this new system is, I'm a bit disappointed the new receivers are more or less the same as the existing ones. 

I would've loved to have seen a completely newly designed receiver that had a screen and presets for storing more channels (like at least 10) that could even be labeled. 

An indented knob for changing channels and a push down and turn for volume or visa versa. 

The current method of storing more channels to the next open channel is cumbersome and at times frustrating. 

Lectro is welcome to use these ideas for the next IFB receiver. 

Dont get me wrong though, I love my R1a's, I just feel they need an update.

Thanks and regards 

Peter Mega 

Hi 

Quoting myself here because I want to add some features to the ones above for my suggestion to Lectro for the next generation IFB receiver which I hope will be a reality sooner rather than later. 

More preset channels like 50 would be good. (I said 10 above but the more the better). This is so we could tune in talent radio mics for discreet monitoring for the producers wearing the IFB receiver. The shows I do regularly have up to 30 radio mics and sometimes 10-12 sound recordists.

The IFB receiver would be native 400 mode (can also do other modes, including current IFB mode) so could do the above and also receive a transmitter from each sound recordist who has a 400 mode tx in their bag transmitting a mix. 

The preset channels can be labeled with sound guys name or number so producer can select who ever they want to listen to along with the talent mic channels labeled with talent names for discreet monitoring of mics. The unused presets can be hidden so producer doesn't have to scroll through unused presets. Only the labeled presets are "visible" 

Easy to read screen on top.

Lock out of deep menu settings so producers can't change settings and only have access to headphonevolume and preset channel select.

A way of programming multiple receivers with a cable from a smart phone app so can set up different shows/names/presets.

Receiver would be as wide band as possibly, say block 19 to 26. 

Should be no bigger than current R1a.

Battery could be AA, need to think more on this, ideas?

A UM400a type clip, like the optional belt clip that's available for the current R1a. The current pouch doesn't last and the clip on the current pouch gets loose and eventually tears off the pouch. A UM400a type clip mounted on the receiver with a pouch around that would be better.

Anything else anyone can think of, please add yourthoughts  

To the fanatics at  Lectro, I give you the IFB R2. Please make it soon!!

Thanks

Peter Mega

26 minutes ago, Constantin said:

I don’t know, I mean they have just released the new digital IFB system. That would be a strange time to update their older IFB

You mean the M2R? 

The antennas are a deal breaker for me. 

Lovely system though. 

17 hours ago, ryanpeds said:

I’m very curious of the phrase, “the square tumbleweeds are fully compatible with the rounder ones.” Does this mean the new digital systems will also have analog FM compatibility because that would be amazing.

I would bet something like this !  Square signal (digital) and Sinus one (analog) in the same box...

21 hours ago, Peter Mega said:

You mean the M2R? 

The antennas are a deal breaker for me. 

Lovely system though. 

Yes I meant that. Well, not everything is for everyone, but it seems highly unlikely at this point that they‘ll update their old IFB system when they‘ve just released the new one

Not sure if this is Larry's tumbleweed, but there is an FCC certification for the DPR:

* Tunes anywhere in TV channels 14-36 - i.e. any legal TV frequencies.

* Size and weight of the HMa so probably plug-on.

* 50mw and 25mw power settings.

Also there is a unit called the DBu that is digital encrypted wireless in the LT form factor.  It might already be released because it was certified in 2017.  It doesn't seem well advertised but the manual is out there if you search.

On 5/29/2019 at 5:17 PM, drpro said:

I think Larry has been smoking some of that magic weed!!

I have never tried smoking tumbleweeds and don't intend to punish myself by doing so. One of our techs here tried smoking tumbleweeds once, a guy by the name of Dan Alighieri. A reader of the Berkely Barb, back in 1967, he had tried the craze of smoking banana peels and figured tumbleweeds might be better. He was very wrong. Once he could speak again, he said  "It was like inhaling sulpherous fumes from the nine circles of Hell". I thought I'd just avoid that particular torment.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

image.png

Get the power of four wideband Lectrosonics, Inc.receivers in a incredibly compact half-rack space with the D Squared Digital Wireless System! It fits neatly on your cart or even in your sound bag! 

Best of all, it works with most of the Lectrosonics transmitters you already own; the receiver is backwards compatible with the SM, LT, HM, SSM, HH UM400(a), LM, MM, and WM transmitters!

The system sounds great, with 24 bit/48 kHz digital audio, and features two-way IR sync, three levels of encryption, and tuning from 470-608 MHz in the United States