Who says tumbleweeds don't have creativity

LarryF

Wow, at less than 2 lbs, less wide than a Sound Devices 633 and compatible with damn near every transmitter under the sun (and block!), this thing could be really great for people like me who generally are doing bag gigs but occasionally have a cart one as well.  Very impressive!

Can we expect this technology in the SM series formats? I love the technology but people complain about the size of an SMQV these days, these LT style transmitters are just a tad too big for what I’d need. 

The squared tumbleweeds --Both a digital reference and the DSquared name.

The three square tumbleweeds--Three digital products announced.

"Are fully compatible with the rounder ones, often traveling in the same pack." --Compatible with older 400 series Digital Hybrid transmitters. 

"The squared corners cause the squared version to bounce higher, catching more wind and adding to their range." --Self explanatory. 

"...higher packing density, since it is well known that the West is running out of tumbleweed room." --Eight channels in 1RU as well making more efficient use of remaining spectrum.

Dan Alighieri and "It was like inhaling sulpherous fumes from the nine circles of Hell". --Reference to Dante Alighieri and the nine circles of Hell in Dante's "The Inferno".

There were some darn good guesses some so good we've been looking for hidden microphones in Engineering. It's tough because we've got dozens of them just laying around in the open.
Best Regards,
Larry Fisher

9 minutes ago, JonG said:

Can we expect this technology in the SM series formats? I love the technology but people complain about the size of an SMQV these days, these LT style transmitters are just a tad too big for what I’d need. 

What features would you like to see in this form factor?

10 minutes ago, JonG said:

Hi Jon,

You've got two guesses, neither of which is "no".

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

23 minutes ago, Ontariosound said:

2.5 Amp current draw. I know there is a lot of technology going on inside (and the display). But that is a lot of current draw for the advertised "bag" use.....

They wrote that current draw for 7.5 Volts. At 14 Volts it would be half that. I will get that changed to a range of values depending on input voltage. Our mistake.

Best,

Lef

Also, the 2.5 Amp current draw includes all internal channels working, the Dante card powered, and antenna bias power for both RF input ports. You have control over the powering of all those things so, if you don't need them, that figure comes down.

If you powered down the Dante module, and timed out the LCD backlight, you can save over 2W. 

3 hours ago, LarryF said:

Hi Jon,

You've got two guesses, neither of which is "no".

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Woo!

1 hour ago, karlw said:

Also, the 2.5 Amp current draw includes all internal channels working, the Dante card powered, and antenna bias power for both RF input ports. You have control over the powering of all those things so, if you don't need them, that figure comes down.

Double woo!

3 hours ago, Gordonmoore1 said:

What features would you like to see in this form factor?

I definitely like the dual mode (digital and digital hybrid). I personally don’t care about compatibility with 100 and 200 series. If it is possible to return to step output power amplification instead of attenuaters, that would be amazing. I’m able to save battery life and keep the transmitters cool by operating at 50mW on my SMQVs, and power them to 100/250mW when needed, but as I understand it, the SMQWB use an attenuator which doesn’t decrease the power draw. Correct me if I’m wrong there. But the SM series for me is the best system out there, and I think I’ll break down and cry if they are no longer available! ;) If a new version of them became available with what this new system has to offer, my only words would be “take my money now!” 

Also maybe an SR”D” (get it!?)

Is there any way you will make a version of this with AES3 outputs? 

I know I know, you release a great new product and immediately everyone wants it re-designed. 

It‘s just that many of us still have recorders, which are perfectly fine still, that only have AES3 inputs and no Dante. Yes, we can use the analog inputs, but I want it digital (so I can split it easier, and stay digital). 

18 minutes ago, karlw said:

Constantin, we'll see if we can fit that into our design schedule for future updates. 

Picturing two of these units feeding directly AES into my 788T sounds like something dreams are made of!

22 hours ago, JonG said:

I agree with Jon. I too love my SM's and the ability to change the output W on the TX's. In the studio I always run at 50mw to conserve battery life and keep them cool, but on those crazy location days it is nice to have the ability to kick thiings up if needed. I run SMV's, SSM's for talent and SMQV's for my radio booms and car plants.

22 hours ago, JonG said:

LT style transmitters are just a tad too big for what I’d need. 

These days I'm lucky to get a SSM on some of the wardrobe and actors have become very tech savy to the fact that smaller TX's are available.

19 hours ago, Constantin said:

I know I know, you release a great new product and immediately everyone wants it re-designed. 

You can't make all the people happy all the time I know but if you could implement some of the new technology into the SM "style" for future release that would be great!

19 hours ago, Constantin said:

Is there any way you will make a version of this with AES3 outputs?  

+1

The ability to replace the VR Field and pull a half rack out of the cart and go quickly into a bag with the front mount BNC's is an amazing feature and maybe the DBU's only get used as RB's?

The backwards compatibility to your existing SM, SSM, WM and digital hybrid et al gives you a chance to begin upgrading without being forced into an entire system replacement and gives us the time needed for developing the full ecology - something had to come first.  X number of engineers can design Y number of products.  When you have 5Y number of product ideas and needs - well........   This is only the beginning........

So, for an SM and SSM style transmitter in the digital realm - what features are you really looking for? 

Variable power (25, 50, 100, 250mW), dweedle tones, removal antennae, digital and hybrid TX, wideband. If I could have it my way, everything found in Ann sMQV as well as the new DBu. 

I personally don’t care that much about IR. I set everything manually out of habit. 

As far as SR”D” is concerned, same as what’s available in an SR as well as these new receivers. 

One thing that I thought about too is this: a PSC SIXPACK can pass AES for other wireless but not Lectros because of the base plate. However, if the uni baseplate could output AES, then one could use such a system with Lectros and keep their workflow digital. Maybe a new uni baseplate and a firmware update (not sure if it’s possible). Just a thought. 

27 minutes ago, JonG said:

One thing that I thought about too is this: a PSC SIXPACK can pass AES for other wireless but not Lectros because of the base plate. However, if the uni baseplate could output AES, then one could use such a system with Lectros and keep their workflow digital. Maybe a new uni baseplate and a firmware update (not sure if it’s possible). Just a thought. 

Lectrosonics after all can already output AES from their SR series with their SRAES3 base plate. Maybe a 2nd gen uni baseplate could somehow support AES as well. 

6 hours ago, Gordonmoore1 said:

The backwards compatibility to your existing SM, SSM, WM and digital hybrid et al gives you a chance to begin upgrading without being forced into an entire system replacement and gives us the time needed for developing the full ecology - something had to come first.  X number of engineers can design Y number of products.  When you have 5Y number of product ideas and needs - well........   This is only the beginning........

So, for an SM and SSM style transmitter in the digital realm - what features are you really looking for? 

The only things I would re-consider over the SMWB's, would be to eliminate the need to menu dive for Freq and Gain, and to overcome what I perceive as diminished range vs. single block transmitters. Personally, I'm only interested in single battery SM style units. I suppose a nice OLED display would be welcome.

Additionally, changing everything over to lemo would allow me to ditch the adaptors for my SSM style packs. 

The ability to control the transmitters remotely over RF would be great as well!

2 hours ago, Wyatt Tuzo said:

The only things I would re-consider over the SMWB's, would be to eliminate the need to menu dive for Freq and Gain

I'd have thought Lectrosonics' tweddle tones worked with the SMWB? 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/449256-REG/Lectrosonics_RM_RM_Remote_Control.html

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.newendian.android.LectroRM&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/lectrorm/id459947180?mt=8

I would have also liked to have seen AES on the new D2 Receiver.  That currently makes it a deal breaker for me. I need a receiver that outputs AES for the Cantar Mini. I’d be fine if the XLRs could do both analog and AES with either a physical switch or menu option. 

As as for the new transmitter, I agree that it’s too big. The LT style isn’t great for narrative. It’s hard enough to get SMVs and SSMs on talent. For the future I’d like to see SMV and SMQV style and don’t use the new wideband menu system. I don’t care for it. I like the older versions better. Removable antenna, lemo Connectors all around, multiple options for RF power, RF controllable parameters would always be great, don’t care much about IR but that seems to be easy to add. I’d really like to see an SMQV style pack that will do 48V. If you do a plug-in style Transmitter please change the XLR connector to the screw on type similar to Wisycom and Sony. I think it’s a much better way of securing and it’s much easier to use. 

On 6/5/2019 at 11:00 PM, IronFilm said:

I’m well aware... if you read the rest of my post, I mention making changes remotely. Gordon had requested features one may wish for in a future hardware release,m. 

My statement you have quoted is based on the fact that, to change frequency or gain on the wideband transmitters (the two most frequently altered settings) one must scroll through a menu (unlike the original SM’s). I preferred being able to change these settings through easy key sequences. I felt the original design was quite elegant. 

15 minutes ago, Wyatt Tuzo said:

I’m well aware... if you read the rest of my post, I mention making changes remotely. Gordon had requested features one may wish for in a future hardware release,m. 

My statement you have quoted is based on the fact that, to change frequency or gain on the wideband transmitters (the two most frequently altered settings) one must scroll through a menu (unlike the original SM’s). I preferred being able to change these settings through easy key sequences. I felt the original design was quite elegant. 

Agreed. I like the original menu system as well. 

I am a bit confused by the "export version" just adding 6mhz more into the 600 band, but not covering the C Blocks, which are legal and used by me among others in Europe. Are we abandoned, and not able to slowly upgrade? Or is there another version for europe coming its way? 

16 hours ago, NickFriedrich said:

I am a bit confused by the "export version" just adding 6mhz more into the 600 band, but not covering the C Blocks, which are legal and used by me among others in Europe. Are we abandoned, and not able to slowly upgrade? Or is there another version for europe coming its way? 

All things in good time - see previous statements about X number of engineers and X+Y number of projects.  There are actually several export markets - some are easier to comply with specific regulations than others so the easy ones tend to come first - Europe is a bit tougher to comply with and requires more engineering time.  So the short answer is - No, Europe is not abandoned - it will simply take more time.  

Social obligations require that we keep these engineers securely employed and distracted from more dangerous ideas (in the interest of the security of mankind) so we have many more projects to keep them out of trouble and away from things that go "ka-boom"