Who says tumbleweeds don't have creativity

LarryF

All in all, you guys are doing some amazing stuff over there and I am thoroughly impressed. I know that once you announce something new, the tendency is for everyone to say what else they want. But like you said, all in due time. We know you’re a small company and we wouldn’t have it any other way. Just keep at it and keep them tumbleweeds rolling out :D

I couldn't agree more with you Jon. Gordon sorry if this thread has gone in a different direction but since you asked what features we would like. As others have mentioned a SM tyle TX the size of maybe a SMQV with 48V that has variable out put voltage 50,100, 250MW  to act as a stand alone radio boom would be amazing! The only reasn I say the size of a SMQV is to take advantage of the dual AA more run time VS a single MP50. Keep the single screw in SMA and the the 5 pin Lemo. I currently use the Ambient UMP II with a SMQV and I know my boom ops would love to cut down on the size and weight. I know beggers can't be choosers but if it was the size of a SSM (like some other manufacturers) I'm sure you couldn't keep them in stock.

@Sound Intuition I don’t know which mics you are using on your boom, but you may be interested in knowing that there is both a Schoeps and DPA version of an active “Collette” style cable that will allow you to use the 5V power from your current transmitter and plug directly into the capsule of your Schoeps or DPA capsules respectively. So unless you are using other brands or models, this could be a good solution for you to power your boom mics off of current transmitter models. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, codyman said:

Does anyone have a picture of a DSQD unit in a bag yet?  Kind of curious to how that looks / feels.

On the Lectrosonics Facebook page around June 4, Benjamin Kall asks for pictures in a bag and Devendra Cleary  shows one.

If I knew how to do a better link, I would. I hate Facebook.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

4 minutes ago, LarryF said:

On the Lectrosonics Facebook page around June 4, Benjamin Kall asks for pictures in a bag and Devendra Cleary  shows one.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Thanks, Larry!  Unfortunately (well not really) I deleted my Facebook account a few years ago.  Anyone mind reposting it here?

11 hours ago, LarryF said:

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

You mean the Facebook Group not the Facebook Page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/69511015699/permalink/10157006438815700/

11 hours ago, codyman said:

Thanks, Larry!  Unfortunately (well not really) I deleted my Facebook account a few years ago.  Anyone mind reposting it here?

No photo description available.

7 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

8 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Hi Ironfilm,

I don't have any idea what I meant (!)  I now get the group to page difference but how do you get the link to take some one to the particular discussion? Though I am smarter than the average creatures found under a wet log, Facebook baffles me.

Thanks in advance,

Larry Fisher

7 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Larry Fisher, you're not alone on this, Facebook makes it very difficult to just zero in on the thing you are interested in, or to refer back to something posted in the past  --- it is like a giant toilet paper roll that is continually spooling out  ---  I have s real love-hate relationship with Facebook (people that really understand it may have a better time than I do).

Thanks for the links.  I'm just going to post it below for archival purposes / I hope the original photographer doesn't mind (fair use for discussing it?).

I gave up on Facebook a few years ago / social media in general.  I don't like the whole "walled garden" approach to things.  Besides sound, I'm a petrol head who restores classic cars including some rather difficult ones that don't have a ton of info out there other than discussions on open forums.  I've even found important info on old newsgroups that have been archived (ever have to re-solder a Kaiser-Willy's era dashboard before!?!)!  That stuff would be impossible to find on a place like Facebook.

bag.jpg

3 hours ago, Jeff Wexler said:

Larry Fisher, you're not alone on this, Facebook makes it very difficult to just zero in on the thing you are interested in, or to refer back to something posted in the past  --- it is like a giant toilet paper roll that is continually spooling out  ---  I have s real love-hate relationship with Facebook (people that really understand it may have a better time than I do).

Thanks, Jeff. My relationship is more hate-hate.

Lef

18 hours ago, LarryF said:

Hi Ironfilm,

I don't have any idea what I meant (!)  I now get the group to page difference but how do you get the link to take some one to the particular discussion? Though I am smarter than the average creatures found under a wet log, Facebook baffles me.

Thanks in advance,

Larry Fisher

It is a generational thing, for instance my mother (who is waaaaay smarter than the average cookie. And for her generation is pretty clued up, she even studied Computer Science at Uni! Learned to program in COBOL. Although.... one her classmaters did his Masters using Punch Cards!! Gee....), yet when it comes to computers / social media / technology she can struggle. Oh well.  (she'll freak out if I pop home to visit her and make any changes to her PC whatsoever! Sigh)

Probably I won't be immune to this either, I suspect one day (if I have kids!) then my children (or grandchildren) will roll their eyes at me trying to grasp their new modern technology just as badly as my mother does. 

Anyway, to answer your question: right click on the date / time segment next to a person's name who started the thread and select "copy link". Easy

18 hours ago, Jeff Wexler said:

There is a search function, which I often use (for instance to find the link Larry referred to, it only took me a few seconds to find even though I had never seen that discussion before). 

However yes, in general the process of discovery is not as good as Google is. With Facebook being a "Walled Garden" I do fear for the future, Facebook won't be here forever. 

What if someone in the future wants to read about a product from 2019 such as DSQD/Nova/Scorpio? 

If 90% of that discussion has been only on Facebook then that info might end up being lost forever. 

At least now if I want to research a product released a decade ago I can easily find lots of discussions on jwsoundgroup, or if the product is even older then I hit up google groups for RAMPS for my extra research, and if I hit any dead links then I've got Archive.org to rely upon. 

But will this still be possible in 2030/2040/whenever once Facebook has disappeared?

Who remembers when Myspace used to dominate social media like Facebook does now? Now Myspace is a nobody. The same will eventually happen to Facebook given enough time. 

And music from the Myspace generation has disappeared....  

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/myspace-lost-music-809455/

"One day" that will happen as well to all the collective knowledge shared in facebook discussions. 

25 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

With Facebook being a "Walled Garden" I do fear for the future, Facebook won't be here forever

And that is exactly why we need to have the discussions here at JWSoundgroup and NOT on Facebook.

Facebook is TERRIBLE for proper discussions. Apart from keeping track, if you return to a discussion it is very difficult to return to the place where you left off (especially on the phone) and then there are all these side discussions. And there are no real quotes, so people often don’t know what you’re talking about and so a lot of time is wasted clearing up mis-understandings, if that happens at all. 

I would so love it if we could move all Facebook location sound discussions to this place, but alas I doubt it’s possible 

4 hours ago, Constantin said:

And that is exactly why we need to have the discussions here at JWSoundgroup and NOT on Facebook.

Facebook is TERRIBLE for proper discussions. Apart from keeping track, if you return to a discussion it is very difficult to return to the place where you left off (especially on the phone) and then there are all these side discussions. And there are no real quotes, so people often don’t know what you’re talking about and so a lot of time is wasted clearing up mis-understandings, if that happens at all. 

I would so love it if we could move all Facebook location sound discussions to this place, but alas I doubt it’s possible 

Not to talk about the huge privacy problems. However be careful what you wish for :)

On 6/22/2019 at 10:21 AM, Constantin said:

+1

I noticed this little tidbit on the Trew Audio description of the unit: "A kit is also available to mount antenna inputs (BNC connectors) on the front panel."

I'm assuming this is to aid in bag use.  Is there any info/pictures about that kit?  Can't seem to find any dealer listings of it.

On 6/22/2019 at 8:09 PM, Kisaha said:

@IronFilm to pass to the university I had to be tested on Cobol. Got 15 out of 20 which was the best grade in my periphery (1/5 of the country).

Certainly there was a period in time when Cobol was commonly taught (certainly in many business schools, less so if you're in the sciences/engineering like myself), but I doubt there are many Universities remaining in the world which have Cobol as a compulsory part of their teaching! 

On 6/22/2019 at 8:09 PM, Kisaha said:

I do not use social media at all. People say it is bad for business, but I can't find them useful.

Social Media is certainly extremely useful for networking and thus business. 
But if you find life is ticking over just fine without it, then I guess you don't "have to" join.

On 6/22/2019 at 8:21 PM, Constantin said:

I certainly would prefer if discussions are here instead, but I check out both so as to not miss out. 

Facebook groups have got a lot better than they used to be! Greatly improved. But yet, I still prefer a good forum like this here.

That ship sailed a long time ago!

I was under the impression that Facebook still exists solely so that crazy relatives of yours can post links to conspiracy theories and "1 like 1 prayer" posts / give them some sort of soapbox feeling of importance they don't deserve.  At least that's what it was on my feed when I quit years ago!