Lectrosonics Announces D Squared Digital Wireless Mic System

karlw

45 minutes ago, Gordonmoore1 said:

so, to the AES question - do we need a word clock port?  and would TA3 connectors be ok? - its a room/space thing 

I would be fine with TA3 or even TA5 (for all 4 outputs?) In fact, Sound Devices had their AES outs on a DB-15 port on the 788, which in this case could be pretty good, too - for me. Or if the analog outs could be switchable to AES? Although it would be nice to even have both available simultaneously. 

The clock port I can’t really make up my mind about. It‘d be safer to have it, but only if there is an In and an Out port. 

I am not sure how most SRCs work, though. If they simply recalculate the samples it should be fine, but if they have to convert to analog first, then it would be stupid. That’s why the clock port would be preferable. 

If going with a multipin port like the DB-15 or DB-9, maybe an unused pin could be used for the clock signal? With a corresponding breakout cable. Although there would still be a wordclock out needed for the second receiver 

Congratulations Lectrosonics on a very fine looking system. I know people have wanting a 4 channel RX. Digital and analogue compatibility (like the Sennheiser 6042) giving users fantastic TX options and an easier transition to a digital wireless workflow. Really looking forward to seeing the Uk price.

Will the DSQD do the emulations of other analogue systems (eg Sennheiser, Wisycom like previous RX)?

Re DSQD power management: Are the circuits and displays of unused channels drawing significant current? eg if only using 2 is it still pulling for 4? 

Is there remote control of the the DBu settings via RF (as well as IR)?

Is there a minijack (or an other O/P) on the DBu to access the talkback signal?    

Regards.

3 hours ago, Gordonmoore1 said:

so, to the AES question - do we need a word clock port?  and would TA3 connectors be ok? - its a room/space thing - 

WC not necessary, really anything, DB-9, BNC, TA3, TA5, existing XLR output switchable analog / digital, not a dealbreaker or anything, but digital outputs would be sweeter deal

to daniel:

re your question on powering. You can power down the Dante module, and you can power down individual receivers for significant power savings. 

There are currently no plans to add analog compatibility modes - each one takes up a lot of code space. 

RF remote control is not an option on this system as you see it here. 

Talkback output is only available on one of the 4 XLRs (or Dante) as there just wasn't any additional real estate for any more output jacks. 

to constantin:

"Last word" on anything is "it depends", isn't it? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Using wireless designer, can this unit also coordinate M2R channels?  If so, would one do that from the built in scan or sync import scan from M2R?

addressing the AES question again, for those that would need AES, I think that also means for the majority, that they wouldn't need Dante, so an AES module that entirely replaces the 2x RJ45 jacks for Dante would suffice for me.  In order to use AES for cast channels though, I would either need to be able to remote control the transmitter in order to properly modulate the signal (like the two existing digital wireless companies, one from NJ and the other from Japan) or allow digital gain to be added in the box.

5 hours ago, Tom Visser said:

Using wireless designer, can this unit also coordinate M2R channels?  If so, would one do that from the built in scan or sync import scan from M2R?

addressing the AES question again, for those that would need AES, I think that also means for the majority, that they wouldn't need Dante, so an AES module that entirely replaces the 2x RJ45 jacks for Dante would suffice for me.  In order to use AES for cast channels though, I would either need to be able to remote control the transmitter in order to properly modulate the signal (like the two existing digital wireless companies, one from NJ and the other from Japan) or allow digital gain to be added in the box.

With the good spring rains we have had in New Mexico for 2019, we are having a bumper crop of tumbleweeds.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2019 at 8:32 AM, Tom Visser said:

(like the two existing digital wireless companies, one from NJ and the other from Japan) or allow digital gain to be added in the box.

What about the one from the UK? And the other one from Germany? Or do you disqualify their respective methods of remote control?