Rode launches the new TF-5 as a matched pair

pillepalle

"“The TF-5 is the best small diaphragm condenser in the world, plain and simple,” says RØDE Founder and Chairman Peter Freedman AM."

Huh. That's from the press release. More such statements here:

http://www.rode.com/blog/all/introducing-the-rode-tf5-premium-condenser-cardioids

And hera's a two-minute promo video with Tony Faulkner (the TF in TF-5):

12 minutes ago, Display Name said:

Looks interesting. 

I guess we soon will see these compared with a pair of cheap, tiny but well renowned CM-3. 

Speaking of which, Line Audio have just announced the followup to the CM3 - the CM4. Higher output, same price. Hopefully with a similar sound. 

9 hours ago, nickreich said:

Speaking of which, Line Audio have just announced the followup to the CM3 - the CM4. Higher output, same price. Hopefully with a similar sound. 

Yes. I noticed the CM4 after I posted! :)

And a bit more pronounced cardio then the CM3. 

I placed an order for a pair as soon as I saw them. I have not yet received a confirmation on them though.

11 minutes ago, Mattias Larsen said:

Sure, it's okish. But makes me giggle at "Exceptionally low noise floor" when Sennheiser or Nevaton cuts that selfnoise in half in some sdcs. 

No, it’s pretty good, but it’s only a number and as such pretty meaningless. 

But I‘m curious, which Sennheiser „cuts that selfnoise in half“?

I only know of the MKH800 as a pretty quiet mic and at 10dBA that‘s still not half. 

Comparable to the AKG ULS Series (11 dBA, but with 3 dB less sensitivity).

Anyway, I guess that the only way to compare to a Shoeps or a DPA is to go and record an actual orchestra. Off axis response variations will make the biggest difference. 

2 hours ago, Constantin said:

No, it’s pretty good, but it’s only a number and as such pretty meaningless. 

But I‘m curious, which Sennheiser „cuts that selfnoise in half“?

I only know of the MKH800 as a pretty quiet mic and at 10dBA that‘s still not half. 

Definitely, it's about how it sounds in the end. I thought their sdcs with card characteristics were quieter to be honest.  I guess it is a bit unfair as it's another design, but the mkh60 and 70 lists 8 and 5db a-weighted selfnoise. 

I am really curious about the new Nevaton MC59 that lists 5db selfnoise for omni and 7db for card. I (probably falsely) assumed that mkh8040 were in the same ballpark as that is what a lot of nature recordist default to for quiet recordings (they are a bit more sensitive so that may help) 

1 hour ago, Mattias Larsen said:

it is a bit unfair as it's another design, but the mkh60 and 70 lists 8 and 5db a-weighted selfnoise. 

Well, all is fair when you make a claim such as Rode did. 

But wow, I never knew that about the MKH70 that is very quiet!

1 hour ago, TVPostSound said:

Unless you're spot mic'ing a Trombone, an orchestra wont exceed 100dB.

Is a matter about max spl and distance from the source. A big orchestra easily meet 120dB SPL (Peak) in a fortissimo in the typical position of the main pair, but over 130 (Peak) as spot microphone (Depends of the instrument/instruments)

https://academic.oup.com/view-large/3169085

1 hour ago, ramallo said:

Is a matter about max spl and distance from the source. A big orchestra easily meet 120dB SPL (Peak) in a fortissimo in the typical position of the main pair, but over 130 (Peak) as spot microphone (Depends of the instrument/instruments)

https://academic.oup.com/view-large/3169085

That‘s a pretty interesting list of decibel numbers you linked there. For a moment I wondered why the trumpet wouldn’t be louder compared to other instruments, but then I thought the really interesting measurement here would be that of the person sitting in front of the trumpet...

2 minutes ago, Constantin said:

That‘s a pretty interesting list of decibel numbers you linked there. For a moment I wondered why the trumpet wouldn’t be louder compared to other instruments, but then I thought the really interesting measurement here would be that of the person sitting in front of the trumpet...

Usually in front of the trumpets and trombones is sitting a methacrylate shield, for do a protection for the musicians seating in front of this instruments.

The complete paper:

https://academic.oup.com/annweh/article/55/8/893/264708

6 hours ago, ramallo said:

Usually in front of the trumpets and trombones is sitting a methacrylate shield, for do a protection for the musicians seating in front of this instruments.

In professional orchestras, yes. And not even in all of those. But in many many amateur orchestras, no. 

2 hours ago, TVPostSound said:

I was referring to the recording position. And TF mics.

Were going off on a tangent.

Remember unlike a bull the horns are in the back  and the ___is in the front!!!

Yes, that’s the beauty of a discussion forum, a discussion can go off topic and return again. 

So Ramallo said it all, an orchestra can easily exceed 120dB SPL at the typical main mic position.

1 hour ago, Constantin said:

Yes, that’s the beauty of a discussion forum, a discussion can go off topic and return again. 

So Ramallo said it all, an orchestra can easily exceed 120dB SPL at the typical main mic position.

But yet TF recommends them for an orchestra!!! Also as a spot mic for soloists!!

Reading between the lines, the TF5 spec does NOT state max SPL, only 

Input SPL @ 1% THD 

120 dB SPL (1kHz @ 1% THD, 600Ω load)

• 2 months later...

Yes, an audacious claim by R0DE's founder, but proof will be in the pudding.  I'm hoping to see (and hear) some videos and recordings done with them. I record live shows in various venues for uploading to the Live Music Archive, not so much studio stuff.  Given their price point, it would seem they should be compared to AKG-480/ck61 and of course Neumann K-184 mics.  The AKG's are normally more expensive, but lately you can get them from AKG or Harmon direct for $200 less each, putting them at $1600 for the pair. Hopefully whoever is doing the testing will provide links to FLACs so we can truly hear the "real" sound. 

And of course no harm in comparing them to cheaper mics either, since even the cheaper mics have come a long ways in the last 20 years. I've heard many a recording on the Live Music Archive done with say the RODE M5 mics (only $200 for the pair) and other mics in the $500 range for the pair, and they do remarkably well.