Np50 Bulk Charger V3.0 Travel edition (on request 16 Bay UPDATE)

WrineX

LOOK AT LAST POST FOR THE CURRENT  Versions !

Hi, well after making my WX-Np50 Bulk charger Here. i made a new one on some request. 
I've completed a few, a few months ago but never had the time to post anything about it. 
Its a travel version. even smaller then the already "smallest Np50 Bulk charger" that was/is available.
It lacks the golden ratio in dimensions (witch bothers me) but if size counts?  this is it!.

I also implemented a switch (suggested by Constantin) to be able to reset the charging off all batteries or just turn it off. It is a switch with protection so you wont be turning it of by accident. (you have to pull and switch).
The fact it is fed by 5 Volt DC, makes it possible to use an external DC-DC converter (coming in the near future) so you could use the same charger on a set powered by your cart battery, when mains power is not available.

NP50 Charger V2.0 Travel Edition

Features

- Charge 12  NP-50's Simultaneous.

- Swiss made gold plated spring loaded battery contacts, that wont scratch up the battery contacts and insures lowest resistance possible.

- Very Small form factor (HxWxL) 5x14,5x9 cm for a 12 slot charger

- External power brick from a well known switching power supply brand.

- All passive cooling. No fan noise to keep you awake at night.

- A reset/on off switch with protection so you cant bump it by accident and end up with 12 empty batteries. 

- ability to be fed (soon) by a dc dc converter so you can power it from a cart battery. 

Power supply specifications

Power

30 Watt

Input range:

85~264 Vac

Certificating:

CE

Cooling :

Passive

Protection :

Short circuit
Overload

Over voltage

Charger specification 

Charge rate each slot :

~400mA

Charge percentage :

~95-98 % increases life of the battery up to 1.1 times

Overheat protection :

Charger will cycle down charge current if module reaches above 65 degrees Celsius.

Normal working temperature at room temperature 6 slot :

Max ~44 degrees Celsius

Normal working temperature at room temperature 12 slot :

Max ~46 degrees Celsius

Normal working temperature at room temperature :

Max ~48 degrees Celsius

Dimensions 12 slots :

(HxWxL) 5x14,5x9 cm

Excuse me for the rather bad pictures... i dont have one myself at the moment to make proper photo's (aint that silly)

Picture 1
The charger, with the safety switch.
Picture 2

Size comparison full sized charger vs V2.0 with external power brick.

Picture 3
Charging some test Np50's.

Please let me know what you think ! 

Greetings Joppe Peelen

20190124_173040.jpg

20190124_173002.jpg

20190124_173336.jpg

Edited by WrineX
some typing mistakes :)

13 hours ago, Jason Todd said:

Very cool. How much are you selling them for?

Thanks ! well the exact price and in witch form is hard to say yet. since if i sell them i want it to be by the books. by the book things tend to be a bit more expensive then from a friend :) 

i was thinking of making a few standard versions like 4,8,12 or i leave out the 8 and make 6 or 12 slots. must try to keep it simple, i have the tendency to say everything is possible (witch is, depending on time and money i guess) and make it to complicated for myself. since im only a dude with some tools, im not a complete production line. Everything is hand assembled, i make the adjustments to the circuit , the housing , the soldering , the testing, the bending of the light guides, the things that hold the batteries etc etc. that makes it possible to do some requests, but starting price will be steeper then a store :(

I wont be making the old charger anymore, although i like the looks better with the powersuplly but to meet any regulations i rather ditch 220 or 110 volt in general in my own designs. and only work with low voltages. witch makes replacing any failures on powersupply's easy to. although never seen that so far. i know the brand well and all of there stuff is rather nice, could even upgrade to a medical rated one if you really wanted more reliability and less EMF-EMI etc.

But to make a long story short :) prices would be around without tax in the region of 500-600 euro for a 12 slot charger.  i use the same (modified) charge circuit as my ''competitors'' (not like calling anyone that) instead of 10 you get 12. i still need to think of a price for the 6 bay or 4 and 8 if i ever make one.

besides all of this , i still have some ideas lingering in the background to make it more versatile. But i lack the finance to take the step, so that has to wait a little unfortunate. i can say  one of them is ,You can decide what kind of charger you buy, and upgrade when business is good :)

I will let everyone know if i got final pricings , might need to make a decent website or something haha

time to talk to friends if they are able to help me out :) my web design is a bit rusty

I think this looks great! External standard power supply is a good idea (and later the ability to power from a DC source battery). There are few multi-unit chargers available and as more and more people are using Zaxcom ZMT transmitters and Lectrosonics SSMs, this will be a very useful product.

I dont know if you've seen the video about the 12 slot 110-220 charger ?  the slots are the same in the small one, and might give a better insight.  please do take into account i made the video for my Youtube audience that dont know anything about using these batteries :) and English is not my native language so hihi.

Hi Joppe,

I am very intrigued by your new version. I prefer to charge Tx batteries on the cart but the USB dual chargers don‘t hold the np-50 well enough when pushed over rough terrain. Can your charger be mounted vertically and still have a snug fit on the batteries? If given the option i would go for an 6-bay on the cart and have a second one placed stationary.

8 minutes ago, RomanH said:

Hi Joppe,

I am very intrigued by your new version. I prefer to charge Tx batteries on the cart but the USB dual chargers don‘t hold the np-50 well enough when pushed over rough terrain. Can your charger be mounted vertically and still have a snug fit on the batteries? If given the option i would go for an 6-bay on the cart and have a second one placed stationary.

ai vertically , hmm im not sure  as i explain in the video there is some slop because of material availability (and being able to put the batteries into the slots since its so compact). i am not to sure.    its not designed as being vertically, to be honest. and since the one with external PSU is sooo small i cant hardly think of a space reason to do so. its 14.5 x9cm  thats like a quarter of an A4 paper sheet :) for 12 batteries.besides that it kind of depends on how rough the terrain is :) 

im sorry i cant give you an exact answer , i dont currently own one of my own chargers ....haha

But I do own one and if the new smaller charger will indeed be like v1, then I am pretty sure that it will absolutely hold up in an upright position. The batteries are held in place pretty firmly. Certainly no comparison whatsoever to any of the known chargers. The only other type of charger that could perhaps be used upright is this „flatbed“ type charger. But those need quite a bit of space to charge just one battery. 

52 minutes ago, Constantin said:

But I do own one and if the new smaller charger will indeed be like v1, then I am pretty sure that it will absolutely hold up in an upright position. The batteries are held in place pretty firmly. Certainly no comparison whatsoever to any of the known chargers. The only other type of charger that could perhaps be used upright is this „flatbed“ type charger. But those need quite a bit of space to charge just one battery. 

haha thanks Constantin , yeah your are the owner of my first 110-220 charger i sold to someone i did not know :) if you got it near or maybe some other time could you put some bat in there and shake it vertically ? ;) im just not sure. the sots are exactly the same  on the small; one as the big one :)
anyway i just cant guarantee they will stay in there. im sure i can make one that does, but thats the thing.... i cant make different ones for everyone.

Just now, Constantin said:

Yes I can, and I just did. The batteries stay put no matter what. Shook it vertically, upside down, side ways, no problem the batteries stay

OOh thats good to hear:) niceeee. RomanH theres your awnser i guess :) although i still dont gurantee anything as you can imagine. but aaprantly it holds :)

Thanks Constantin ! by the way i implemented youn on/off switch in the new design you wanted :) im sorry its not in your version :(

8 hours ago, Constantin said:

Yes I can, and I just did. The batteries stay put no matter what. Shook it vertically, upside down, side ways, no problem the batteries stay

8 hours ago, WrineX said:

OOh thats good to hear:) niceeee. RomanH theres your awnser i guess :) although i still dont gurantee anything as you can imagine. but aaprantly it holds :)

Thanks Constantin ! by the way i implemented youn on/off switch in the new design you wanted :) im sorry its not in your version :(

That‘s awesome. I think anything that is supposed to be mounted on a cart will eventually be installed in any possible position by one user or the other. You might be really on to something and i can see more mixers adapting on-cart charging once they have a viable option for their np-50s

• 3 weeks later...
Well i promised to take a few more photos of my Np50 charger with external PSU. there is also a picture of it outside in direct sunlight, and one of machining the modules that clamp the battery, with there fingers.
And the sun is shinning i can tell you ! :) 32 degree c.. (i love it, finally a day people dont say: heej your hands are purple , you are cold ?)

Well anyhow, the charger is in direct sunlight but i must admit that the photo makes green more visible somehow then i could with the naked eye. but since RED is clearly visible you can still see witch one is charging and witch one is complete.

the charger is a bit smaller as my hand, and i got regular hands, as seen in the weird charger in hand picture.

Then lastly since i had quite some requests/interest. Of course i am having trouble getting a critical component at this time. as some may know :) i use the same circuits as Soundguys Solutions. and (i guess they have the same problem) the re-seller does not stock them anymore. also funny is that every other small company i searched for up the chain are sold out now as well. i bought an amount and someone else bought the rest. but i am working on getting them (i will get them, but it takes a bit longer). and i got an idea brewing for my own circuit. but since i want to be able to support the people i sold one before, i still need to get my hands on the circuit i used in these.

Enjoy the sun !

20190616_150919.jpg

20190625_173202.jpg

20190625_173345.jpg

20190625_173419.jpg

20190625_173847.jpg

20190625_174329.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone !!

Smallish update for anyone interested.  i was kind of in limbo. since the charge circuits i used  (there is a method to get the circuits but not the NON blinking version only an old revision, that will dry up as well) and everyone else used in there dual slot 1302 OTB/Digibuddy/Sound Guys solutions,  chargers runs dry... so dry i just bought the last 4 available in the region of Europe for spares just in case....  i still want to make my own with some rather cool specs if i may say so :) but that aside, i am currently not able to go that route. people asked quite a steep amount for a very simple circuit :(.

So i would like to know if some people would be still interested in some of of the chargers? i might be able to strike a deal or find a solution to at least deliver the current chargers, since i am testing with an alternative replacement for the current charger circuits, looks are the same and besides a small difference in charge current they should do the same (proof is in the pudding since im still testing)

Kind regards,

Joppe Peelen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 9:22 AM, nonisound said:

Hi Joppe , 

I am very happy with one that I have V2.0 , fantastic product !!! Works perfectly !!! 

Thanks a lot !!! 

Best regards 

Noni 

Thats great to hear ! its nice to hear it works out ! if you could make some pictures if you got the time. when it is working :)  i would be happy to receive some. since i like to make a gallery or something. i only have static pictures :)