Zaxcom Wireless With Sound Devices Recorders

syncsound

I use a zmt phantom for my boom with a Sound Devices recorder. I use an ifb200 for zaxnet. I mean a recorder is a recorder. One thing you might consider is that many of the recorders they make don’t have a ton of AES inputs. If you run your Zaxcoms AES in that could be a problem.

I've use my ZMTs and QRX200 with a SD recorder and it works perfect.  You do lose out on the benefits of Zaxnet but, in my opinion, it depends on the job and work flow whether that matters.  I don't find it a big deal to manually adjust parameters on the ZMT. If you have a 16gb micro SD .zax files will record like 200 hours or something crazy so the lack of auto record function isn't a huge deal.

The ZMT on the boom is just fantastic and I'd say worth it regardless of zaxnet functionality.  Using ZMTs as bodypack TX would make me want zaxnet more than using ZMT as wireless boom to take advantage of sleep and remote gain functions.

59 minutes ago, Jesse Flaitz said:

I've use my ZMTs and QRX with a SD recorder and it works perfect.  You do lose out on the benefits of Zaxnet

There are several other ways to add ZaxNet to non Zaxcom recorders.

The IFB200 is a standalone zaxnet transmitter that can do everything a Zaxcom recorder can do with regards to ZaxNet - plus you get a two channel back up recorder built it.

Or you can use a camera link - the CL also can give you full function remote control, back up recording as well as feeding audio and time code to the RX200 and the new URX.

Or even QRX235 will have the ability to transmit remote control right from the receiver.

So there is no reason why you can't have full function Zaxnet remote control by using another mixer. 

25 minutes ago, Jack Norflus said:

There are several other ways to add ZaxNet to non Zaxcom recorders.

The IFB200 is a standalone zaxnet transmitter that can do everything a Zaxcom recorder can do with regards to ZaxNet - plus you get a two channel back up recorder built it.

Or you can use a camera link - the CL also can give you full function remote control, back up recording as well as feeding audio and time code to the RX200 and the new URX.

Or even QRX235 will have the ability to transmit remote control right from the receiver.

So there is no reason why you can't have full function Zaxnet remote control by using another mixer. 

Very true, I'm just stating my experience was without IFB functions.  Didn't mean for it to sound like Zaxnet control wasn't possible, should have specified QRX200.  I know more than one mixer with full zax wireless and 6 series SD and it all plays very nice.  It is a bigger commitment than if the mixer already had a Zax recorder.

I had a 633 and Zaxcom wireless for a long time. One of my receivers was a QRX100 with the QIFB option. Worked great. Sometimes if talent was too far away the Zaxnet control wouldn't work but you could always rig up a better antenna or an amp if you have a cart set up.

• 4 years later...