Sanken reveals a new Short Stereo Shotgun Mic

igomarsound

https://www.sankenmicrophones.com/news/cms-50

Mid side all in one very short body. Really interesting.

Waited for too much time an MKH8030 capsule. Now I'm thinking getting one of these, or the pearl audio one... Just wondering about the directivity of the mid capsule, some sites say shotgun, other write cardio... Wait and see.

sanken site says 1795 $ , june 2019

There aren't many good mikes of this type on the market, so I find it a quite good idea from Sanken.

The Beyerdynamic MCE 72 PV isn't really a professional piece of gear due to it's noisiness.

I've been working with the RSM 191/192 a lot and find it too bulky, too sensitive on RF. And that special multicore cable is terrible.

mine is working fine since years with an neumann cable.

you can use any 7pin cable, just solder an 7pin xlr at the mic suspension side.

i like the soundstage of this mic alot, in comparison to sennheiser 418, the at bp4027 and sanken css5.

here in germany its a common standard, from practical side for documentary shots its unbeatable, no mic swapping, gathering ambience and dialog at the same time and the advantage that you have a dedicated mic mid are big pluses. anyway if you want to deliver xy for whatever reason you can  matrix while recording in nearly every modern recorder, but then you loose the easy control of the center signal in post.

21 hours ago, haifai said:

i would try and compare the other options before buying- neumann rsm 191 ca 1500€ used, Audio-technica bp4027 1000€ new, to name some good alternatives...

I have the AT bp 4027.... And I don't personally like it. Those electret capsules are a bit too noisy for my schoeps and MKH formated ears... And it's not very sharp in therms of middle bass reproduction if you ask me.

Actually  It's one of my dust collecting mic that I never have the chance to put in action.

16 hours ago, chrismedr said:

there's a (rather short) thread about this from a couple of months ago:

Thanks for the input. There are the polar pattern dispayed in there, so there is the answer to my first question. The mid is a cardiod, I would have prefered an hyper....

The pearl MSH10 seems really good and got very nice comments....

But I'm always afraid of RF and moisture problems, I'm paranoid since I got unusable signal with my schoeps on a scene with shower...

So when I got my MKH8060 (just after this nightmare shooting), all these problems and stress disappeared. 

Sanken told that they worked to be RF immune and moisture resistant... what about the MSH10 ? anyone can relate ?

I do work in sometimes quite hard conditions for the gear (understand : documentary guerilla style) that's why I always hoped an MKH 8030... wich seems not planned at all. Very disappointing.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/20/2019 at 5:57 PM, r.paterson said:

Pearl made an RF mod to my MSH 10 and its bullet proof now RFI wise can use it ab inch from my zaxcom.tx no issues..

Hi, I am new to this forum and have been reading a lot here on the different options for M/S stereo recording. I am currently using a MKH 60/30 combo and am looking for a more lightweight alternative solution for the boom. The Pearl MSH 10 seems to be a good option for me. 

I came across your statement on the RF mod and I was just wondering what that means. Is the MSH 10 specifically sensitive to interference or was this just a general modification you would do to any mic? Or am I getting this completely wrong?

would be grateful for any info on this...

thanks, regards,

Dietrich

1 hour ago, Dietrich said:

Hi, I am new to this forum and have been reading a lot here on the different options for M/S stereo recording. I am currently using a MKH 60/30 combo and am looking for a more lightweight alternative solution for the boom. The Pearl MSH 10 seems to be a good option for me. 

I came across your statement on the RF mod and I was just wondering what that means. Is the MSH 10 specifically sensitive to interference or was this just a general modification you would do to any mic? Or am I getting this completely wrong?

would be grateful for any info on this...

thanks, regards,

Dietrich

Hi Dietrich, my Pearl MSH10 was sensitive to RF from.my zaxcom.hop/cell phones etc..Pearl redesigned a new RF resistant Board and it cured all issues..i think the new pearl msh 10 will prob have the new designed board fitted.

Richard

16 hours ago, r.paterson said:

Hi Dietrich, my Pearl MSH10 was sensitive to RF from.my zaxcom.hop/cell phones etc..Pearl redesigned a new RF resistant Board and it cured all issues..i think the new pearl msh 10 will prob have the new designed board fitted.

Richard

Hi Richard, great to know, thanks a lot!

Best,

Dietrich

2 hours ago, Derek H said:

Richard, did you compare the Pearl MS8 to the MSH10?

Hi Derek i havent but i know the MSH8 has a slightly better stereo image for music etc but no reach being cardiods..but i cant rate the MSH10 high enough the M hypercardiod capsule sounds great ive compared to my mkh50 on sit down interviews etc and its on a par with the Mkh50 inc s/n which is a lot lower than the specs suggest -13db for M capsule the 16db is the S capsule..ive used outside for normal booming instead of a 416 etc and the reach is great..which is how i use it normal dialogue in docs with stereo atmos or actuality when i need it..and very light on boom fits a rycote windjammer 2 kit unfortunately  just tad too long for the rycote windjammer 1 kit.

Richard I always read your praises to MSH10. I am looking for a microphone that allows me to shoot documentary alone camera and mic on camera.

I would like to record good dialogue but even with two ore more different people and sometimes use ambient stereo source with some speech too.. Mostly in the nature while I am filming alps documentaries of shepherds.It is almost impossible to find something in the web about pearl and difficult to find examples of how it sounds. However do you think it would be better the Pearl with supercardioid or the sanken cms 50 with a cardioid for me?
thank you very much!

Hi I'm assuming in the camera you would be recording M onto ch1 and S onto ch2.. and the signal will be matrices in the edit to L\R stereo..with m and s when you mono the signal the S disappears so if you had 2 people and it sounded good as they were picked up on the S love that will disappear when monied..you never recorded dialogue on the S lobe for this reason the m capsule has to capture all the dialogue. The s capsule will also pick up a lot of camera handling noise..the MSH10 is quick bulky diameter wise so the sanken  will fit better..sanken do a hypercardiod version of the cms 50 I can't remember the model no tho. Thanks