Zoom F8 and F4 misbehaving

Bouke

Hi all,
Got clips from both a Zoom F8 and F4.
Sometimes, the last char of the date in the bext chunk is written as 00x (thus, sometimes the last character of the date is missing.)
This does not happen on all clips, but it does occur on both recorders.

Is this a known issue? (I've contacted Zoom support in the past, but never received an anser.)
Any more gotcha's?

Bouke

Post here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/zoomf8/

It is a very large and highly active group of F8 users. 

Personally I've never came across this before (I am both an F4 & F8n user). Neither have I ever heard of this happening, and I do follow the news on those groups fairly closely, when I'm not too busy, but maybe someone else there might have a better clue. 

8 hours ago, Bouke said:

Hi all,
Got clips from both a Zoom F8 and F4.
Sometimes, the last char of the date in the bext chunk is written as 00x (thus, sometimes the last character of the date is missing.)
This does not happen on all clips, but it does occur on both recorders.

Is this a known issue? (I've contacted Zoom support in the past, but never received an anser.)
Any more gotcha's?

Bouke

A firmware version might be handy, for "trouble shooting". I run with an F8 occasionally, and never noticed this. So if I understand it correctly, the date is wrong/missing on some files, not all. That's it?

The madness is even bigger than I thought.

Both F4 and F8 run at the same time with the same TC. If the bug occurs, it occurs on clips recorded at (app.) the same time. (Maybe a few seconds difference between starts)

AFAIK, only a TC cable between them, and I don't think metadata is piped inbetween the SMPTE.
(But I have not listened to it, as recorders are on the other side of the world, perhaps they detect each other and switch to another protocol?)

F8.PNG

Then there is more.
Sometimes, the NOTE is written as NOTE=SPEED=25.000ND
This could be a user setting, but I very much doubt that, since in the iXML the <NOTE> entry is a more logical one.

Then, most recorders I've seen write a char before a bext entry, and they brand it.

So, Zaxcom writes 'zSPEED='

Sounddevices writes 'sSpeed='

Nagra writes 'nSPEED='

(And my work writes 'vSpeed=' of couse...)

But Zoom seems to do it random. Not a problem, but, (and that is strange,) sometimes does NOT write a char before a bext entry.

Questions, questions....

(But my preliminary conclusion is that these devices are not very strong in the metadata department.)

On 6/19/2019 at 11:59 AM, IronFilm said:

Well, I HATE Facebook....

Bouke