Lectro SR (real world use)

Chris R

Hey,

I'm looking to sell my 4x 411 systems (block 28/29)

and I'm considering switching over to

2x Lectro SR receivers in their place. (less weight, save some coin..etc)

I was curious if anyone here is using these in a bag setup on a regular basis

and how they are working for you.

Are they as touchy with "in the bag" transmitters to the point where they affect your work?

Do you feel hindered at all using these as traditional style receivers in the real world?

More +'s? -'s?

I've done the reading from the manufacturers site

(so please no Call Lectrosonics!)

Appreciate the help guys

-Chris

(oh if anyone is interested in 411's in block 28/29 feel free to msg me

before i send them out on consignment)

i just bought one SR 5p recevier, but the display is always nothing on,just the yellow backlight is always on,but never display anything on the LCD,i tried hundreds of times to turn on/off the unit,but only saw it displays but after 1 or 2 minutes it will nothing again.

i think this is just a very particular issue only happened to me (poor chinese guy bought this in states and can't send it back recently)

btw,the sound quanlity is good

i just bought one SR 5p recevier, but the display is always nothing on,just the yellow backlight is always on,but never display anything on the LCD,i tried hundreds of times to turn on/off the unit,but only saw it displays but after 1 or 2 minutes it will nothing again.

i think this is just a very particular issue only happened to me (poor chinese guy bought this in states and can't send it back recently)

btw,the sound quanlity is good

You need to send it back to Lectro & get the LCD replaced.  Same thing Happened to me once on a 411...

I have one SR unit I use in the bag and have had no problems with it. The absences of internal power sucks, but Lectro has a solution for that. It is not a tracking receiver, however I haven't noticed any problems and I do have an IFB transmitter in the bag with it. If I were buying more receivers for my bag, that's the way I would go.

" I've done the reading from the manufacturers site

(so please no Call Lectrosonics!) "

good!  then you probably learned a lot there;  did you sign up for the Lectro users' group??

now, a couple quick searches on ramps and jwsound to see the previous threads on you question, and you will be up to date.

I apologize in advance to the rest of the group but

mike could you possibly be a bigger A**hole?

I obviously didnt get the info from NUMEROUS searches that I was looking for

and wanted to find out more before I shell out the $.

I thank everyone for their help so far.

And once again i apologize, this guy is just too much.

Its no wonder why half the people here have a problem with him.

" I've done the reading from the manufacturers site

(so please no Call Lectrosonics!) "

good!  then you probably learned a lot there;  did you sign up for the Lectro users' group??

now, a couple quick searches on ramps and jwsound to see the previous threads on you question, and you will be up to date.

(oh if anyone is interested in 411's in block 28/29 feel free to msg me

before i send them out on consignment)

Someone from Europe posted on RAMPS just this morning looking for a source of 700MHz+ radios.

Look for the thread "700MHz and Europe".

No guarantees as to his reliability....

---Matt

" could you possibly be a bigger A**hole? "

I'll work on it...

" I was curious if anyone here is using these in a bag setup on a regular basis "

nah!  that's why Lectro is developing the Octo-Pak !!

there used to be a poster here that would do this research for you, but now he only lurks!  OK, so I'll get you started...

http://jwsound.net/SMF/index.php?topic=2982.0  last August

http://jwsound.net/SMF/index.php?topic=2931.0 last August

http://jwsound.net/SMF/index.php?topic=2867.0 last August

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.movies.production.sound/browse_thread/thread/3145b90954dab409/f1fcbb03d58a7b63?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=sr#f1fcbb03d58a7b63 Last May

there are more...

of course you could contact some of these folks directly for an update, but I believe this covers your questions.  Say, here is a novel idea: contact Larry, or Bruce, or Gordon at Lectrosonics and have a one on one discussion with them about your concerns... I think you will agree that the reputations of the Lectro management as discussed in the above threads is that they are open, honest, frank, and fair.

If you are still unsure, of course, go to RAMPS and get the latest from the two Mr. Moron's, Roberto, and the rest of the "fanboys": no there is fair, unbiased, accurate information you can count on!

BTW, I'm smiling when I say that!

I am not familiar with the Lectro unit but is there a possibility that the LCD display has a CONTRAST adjustment that is preventing the display from showing anything?

-  Jeff Wexler

hi jeff,i'm sure that's not the CONTRAST issues......

btw,which wireless u r using?

regard

Cloud

hi jeff,i'm sure that's not the CONTRAST issues......

btw,which wireless u r using?

regard

Cloud

I am using the Zaxcom wireless. Mostly the TRX900 body packs on the actors and also the Plug-on for wireless plant mic. Not doing much wireless boom work, yet, and I don't own the TRX992 yet. When I get the next job I will be getting the TRX992 (the Boom Box) so we can start doing wireless boom when we need to.

Up until just last year I was using the Zaxcoms and my old Audio, Ltds., but I have had to pretty much retire the Audios because they are not at all frequency agile and have been harder and harder to use now in the crowded RF world.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Jeff,

Do you use the CR123 or the AA version of the TRX900 body packs? The CR123 version looks very small. like a Lectro SMA. Was size or, the ability to use standard AA batteries the key to your choice?

SJ

When I purchased the TRX900 I don't think there was a 900 series transmitter that used AA batteries. I have been pleased with the form factor and small size of the TRX900 (that uses the CR123 battery) and I have been getting 4 to 5 hours on the battery (not using the record feature or the IFB). For me, the AA version has no advantage with the exception of the AA batteries being somewhat less expensive.

-  Jeff Wexler

Hi Chris

I was thinking of heading down the same path as you when the SR units first came out; wanted to save on the weight. Pretty happy I didn't. I have a couple of friends that bought them for bag and link use. Generally ok for camera link but in the bag the range just sucks. The 411s can suck sometimes too, rangewise and weird clicking, but nowhere like the SRs.

I'd hold out for the 411 tracking input version of the SR that is rumoured.

And for my 2 cents - I use the Zax as a camera link and as a radio mic. It's a great system - Sounds great. Recently had to use it with one of those Sony card based baby-HD systems. After I found somewhere to tape the receiver on all was well. I ran it with NiMh AAs - got 3 to 4 hour, no panic.

Hi Chris

I was thinking of heading down the same path as you when the SR units first came out; wanted to save on the weight. Pretty happy I didn't. I have a couple of friends that bought them for bag and link use. Generally ok for camera link but in the bag the range just sucks. The 411s can suck sometimes too, rangewise and weird clicking, but nowhere like the SRs.

I'd hold out for the 411 tracking input version of the SR that is rumoured.

And for my 2 cents - I use the Zax as a camera link and as a radio mic. It's a great system - Sounds great. Recently had to use it with one of those Sony card based baby-HD systems. After I found somewhere to tape the receiver on all was well. I ran it with NiMh AAs - got 3 to 4 hour, no panic.

Do you feel like the range of the SRs was being affected by what you had in yr bag (like TX, SD recorder etc) or that it just didn't pull in the TX as well as the 411 regardless of what was close by? 

Philip Perkins

Sorry if I mislead anyone. I haven't tried them in MY bag - and everyone runs their bag in their own way. My comment was that friend who have them complain that they aren't getting the range that they expect to get from their 411s. I have one who is wanting to sell his.

I'm sure that the SR units are affected but other things radiating in the bag environment - including other SR units. That's why I have been led to believe that the 411 works better in the bag situation; something to to with the RF tracking front end, I believe. (How many times can I use bag in this reply?) The 744T and the Zax are culprits here - but I think I've kinda got them tamed - with RF interference minimisation and careful placement of the 411 receivers in relation to the other pieces in the kit

If anyone has contrary experience I would love to hear it; I still want to shave off any kilos I can from my kit

what is your reluctance to discussing this stuff with the experts at Lectrosonics??

yeah, I know, I'm like an old broken record, but they are really the folks who can, and will, give you the best guidance. Believe me, it is not the same as calling tech support at Dell, and getting someone in a phone center reading computer screens; they listen, they ask questions, they are honest and fair, and they care about their products and customers!

I understand wanting to hear from others about their own personal experiences, and that isn't bad or wrong, not at all, but as you certainly have noted, the responses go all over the ballpark from love to hate; and they are all subjective.

Lectrosonics folks (several of them) have repeatedly stated thet the SR's performance falls between the 401 and the 411.  the tracking front end is a valuable and costly improvement in front end selectivity, but not of much use if the interference is near the specific operating frequency of unit;  all of the RX's have a built in Q (selectivity) covering the block itself, the tracking front end merely (!) moves the center of the Q along with frequency changes, and thus also allows for a higher Q (greater selectivity via a sharper selectivity curve).

the RF emissions of the 744T are a known issue, and even a little bit of extra separation helps a lot, for any RX!!

now, why don't you discuss this with one of the experts at Lectro and set your mind at ease with whatever decision you make!

Mike, I must admit to being puzzled.

Lectrosonics learns valuable information about their own products via feedback from actual users in the field, some voiced directly and some via this and other user groups.  Sound Devices learns valuable information about their own products via feedback from actual users in the field, some voiced directly and some via this and other user groups.  Zaxcom learns valuable information about their own products via feedback from actual users in the field, some voiced directly and some via this and other user groups.  This applies to most manufacturers of the equipment we use.

You seem to be the solo voice advocating the abatement of this practice. 

As a participant who wants to compare experiences with other knowledgeable users, I must admit, your motives puzzle me. 

John Blankenship, CAS

Mike,

first off you assume I didnt talk to lectro. (which i did)

You assume I didnt talk to an audio dealer (which I did)

You assume many things incorrectly which im sure you do many times when you say these

same things over and over in peoples threads.

The lectro guy was great but also told me he asked a few other engineers there

who were split on the whole "how many blocks apart should camera hop transmitters be from the sra5p"

enough to concern me into looking into it more.

The audio dealer gave me his thoughts (which I ended up going with)

but a sales person there gave me different advice as well.

The reason im saying that is its not always a cut and dry "i need to get a knob fixed talk to the manufacturer situation"

I wanted REAL WORLD users to give me opinions about the questions I had regarding the units.

A couple people with them PM'ed me with very useful info as well.

This is a DISCUSSION group, WITH a section about EQUIPMENT.

It's a pretty easy concept really.

For the record, I decided to purchase 1 SRa5p w/ 2 SMDA's

and if it seems to play ok with my other gear and I get another

I will get it in an adjacent block. (25/26)

Not 2 blocks away, not in the same block.

This will work for MY situation and needs hopefully.

what is your reluctance to discussing this stuff with the experts at Lectrosonics??

yeah, I know, I'm like an old broken record, but they are really the folks who can, and will, give you the best guidance. Believe me, it is not the same as calling tech support at Dell, and getting someone in a phone center reading computer screens; they listen, they ask questions, they are honest and fair, and they care about their products and customers!

I understand wanting to hear from others about their own personal experiences, and that isn't bad or wrong, not at all, but as you certainly have noted, the responses go all over the ballpark from love to hate; and they are all subjective.

Lectrosonics folks (several of them) have repeatedly stated thet the SR's performance falls between the 401 and the 411.  the tracking front end is a valuable and costly improvement in front end selectivity, but not of much use if the interference is near the specific operating frequency of unit;  all of the RX's have a built in Q (selectivity) covering the block itself, the tracking front end merely (!) moves the center of the Q along with frequency changes, and thus also allows for a higher Q (greater selectivity via a sharper selectivity curve).

the RF emissions of the 744T are a known issue, and even a little bit of extra separation helps a lot, for any RX!!

now, why don't you discuss this with one of the experts at Lectro and set your mind at ease with whatever decision you make!

John, the manufacturers I have spoken with have all said they are willing to handle the additional calls, emails, and web hits of people seeking information.

sure, many of them mostly read these forums, though not always regularly; many will often prefer to reply directly to folks with questions and issues.

have you noticed how frequently after a couple of days and a number of posts (often with correct and incorrect information) the threads end with the answer coming from the manufacturer??

for folks who ask specific questions, and want specific answers, and usually right away, the best places to get the best information are the manuals, the on-line manuals which may even be more up to date, the web-sites and the FAQ's on them, or directly from the mothership by email or phone. Sorry, but with the Captain MIA, someone (else) is going to have to do the homework!

as for discussions, I'm all in favor of them

BTW I regularly use a single block for both RXing and TXing (aka "hop")  I do tend to keep one function high in the block, and the other low, keeping the TX antennae separated from the RX antennae a bit. NO PROBLEMS, and believe I get a great benefit of interchangeability (mix and match) my components for each situation, and have noted no drawbacks up to 4 x 2.  and BTW, I have been able to use this single block successfully where ever in the world I have been!!