Best way to cut a hole in a Portabrace?

Allen Rowand

I need to make an access hole into a pocket on an AO-1X; is there a better way than just making an X incision with a razor?

I really don't understand why there isn't a passthrough between the outer side pockets and the battery pockets. This would allow cables to run from the RF pocket though the battery pocket and into the main body.

You might try using one of the circular cutting punches that comes with a set of grommet tools. These are available in any good hardware store and are sufficiently inexpensive that purchasing a kit for this sole application would not be unreasonable. 

Before buying anything, ascertain that you could get a punch into position where you need a hole and also strike it with a hammer either directly or through some material. 

I haven’t tried it on a bag but I think it worth a look. 

David

Blade in a soldering iron was what I was going to suggest; I learned from modifying stuff packs and harnesses back in my mountaineering days... If it makes sense, maybe rub the fabric a bit more with the blade (or any tip really, but why mess up a good one?) to give the fabric a little extra melt-seal. 

Looks good!

Nice work Allen. I took a pair of fabric shears to a KTEK Junior the other day. I wanted to do this ages ago but delayed because there was no way of doing it nicely. Probably cut away the 2 small black sections with the zips and seal the other edges by gluing webbing or rubber profile to them. Having a fold down flap for front display RX really works. It would have been nice if the bag had been more considerably designed for use with such a ubiquitous format of receiver but i suppose we're all meant to use top display RX, all of the time.

Sound Bag Modification_01.jpg

Sound Bag Modification_02.JPG

• 2 months later...

best would be punching..  but such a large hole might be hard to get a die for ;) cutting is an option but you either have to stitch the edges, or depending on the material go beserk with a lighter melting the edge  so it wont unravel. not the most pretty way but it works !

On 6/23/2019 at 8:38 AM, daniel said:

Nice work Allen. I took a pair of fabric shears to a KTEK Junior the other day. I wanted to do this ages ago but delayed because there was no way of doing it nicely. Probably cut away the 2 small black sections with the zips and seal the other edges by gluing webbing or rubber profile to them. Having a fold down flap for front display RX really works. It would have been nice if the bag had been more considerably designed for use with such a ubiquitous format of receiver but i suppose we're all meant to use top display RX, all of the time.

Sound Bag Modification_01.jpg

Sound Bag Modification_02.JPG

What is going on on those Sennheiser receivers? Modded with two output connectors?