Zaxcom Deva ii files- how to read them.

Christian Shaw

Just one short warning Christian..... Those mic pres... dont ever even think of overcooking them - they will crack like f--k and it is not a nice experience. If you are doing organ and similar recordings then I am sure you will have the measure of the dynamic range - you will not really need to worry about this too much, but.... Back in the days of dialogue recording... if the actor spoke the rehearsal and hollered the take, if you over modded the IP gain... boy those IP amps were unforgiving 😉

sb

7 hours ago, Bash said:

Just one short warning Christian..... Those mic pres... dont ever even think of overcooking them - they will crack like f--k and it is not a nice experience. If you are doing organ and similar recordings then I am sure you will have the measure of the dynamic range - you will not really need to worry about this too much, but.... Back in the days of dialogue recording... if the actor spoke the rehearsal and hollered the take, if you over modded the IP gain... boy those IP amps were unforgiving 😉

sb

Yeah, I thought to keep an eye (or an ear) on that because the mic trims don't really go down all that low in comparison to most machines, and I don't have stats on the max input level to know at what point the pres will overload. But like you said, with what I'm doing there are aren't really any unexpected signal peaks; I usually set the gain at the beginning of the session based on the loudest passage that's going to be played, and it rarely gets touched after that unless the mics get moved for some reason. The material from Saturday sounds fine to me, but for louder sources, I'll no doubt have to employ some mic pads.