Block 941 and wireless distro

saadasound

I just got my part 74 license and I’m looking to get into block 941. Anyone have any good experience in the US so far in this block? Are there any antennas that cover 470-960? I know the new PSC rf multi has a new option that covers both 470-618 and 941-960, but not sure if anyone has used antennas with great results yet.

I have a similar question that maybe one of our revered friends at PSC or Lectro could help us with. I just got one of Ron’s dual band SixPacks, and if I were to use SRs in say blocks 19, 20, and 941, what would my antenna situation look like? I understand that, just using whips on the distro, it is best to use a middle frequency, but that would make sense if I were using three adjacent blocks such as 19, 20, 21. In this scenario, we are talking about blocks a world apart. What would be the best thing to do?

There aren't any good answers. Separate antenna systems would be the best. Keep in mind, that if an antenna and distribution system covers 470 to 941, all the cell phone traffic, etc., between 614 and 900+ Mhz  will be going through the distribution amp also. It would be best on a new system to just use 941 MHz by itself, assuming you can get the number of channels into that band. If you need lots more channels, two antenna distribution systems probably makes sense anyway.

Another way of saying it, is we haven't solved it yet, either.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Thanks Larry. That’s what I figured. I think that in the case of the PSC SixPack dual band, it covers 470-23 ANA 941, but not the entire spectrum in between. I guess that since at this point in time, I’m not using 941, and my antennae filter out frequencies that high anyway, it doesn’t matter one way or the other. But if I did decide to go the route of 941, then this same device could be used for it. But I probably shouldn’t attempt using both bands at the same time. 

So thats it then. If you want to make use of 941, then you are talking about a new system entirely, complete with not just Tx and Rx, but also antennae and whatever other supporting equipment may be needed. Good to know!

Audio wireless has a new distro and shark fin set up that has selectable band frequencies from 470-1000.  4 modes that can isolate different spectrum bands.  That being said, it should be set to 940 band or lower bands, using mode 4 (opens whole distro to 470-1000) would likely be problematic anywhere with remotely heavy RF interference.

https://www.gothamsound.com/product/dadm226-diversity-antenna-distribution-module

https://www.gothamsound.com/product/digitally-tuned-active-antenna

Wouldn’t it be cool if there were antennae available that had two bands open and a filter in the middle, kind of like what Ron has available on his new dual band SixPacks, except as a complimentary antenna! T’would be quite nifty imho. 

JonG keep us posted on your results with the new 6 pack.  I also just bought one but I haven't decided what blocks to put in it or what antennas to use. I have been quite frustrated this week with wireless.  I was shooting this week at a house where there was RF noise through all of my block 21 and 24 and most of my block 22.  Sharkfins as opposed to dipoles helped on the block 22 (21 and 22 in a venue) but the others were unusable. I am about to buy 3 new SR somethings for the 6 pack and don't want to make choices that will continue to be frustrating.  I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to antenna distribution and characteristics and am trying to learn more.

@ElanorR I have three SRb’s, so my outcome will likely be different from yours if you get different blocks or SRc’s. My blocks are across 19-20-21. For now I have block 20 whips, but I ordered some whips that cover 470-608 MHz. 

When not wearing the bag I will be using an antenna mast with a PSC passive shark fin and a Shure passive dipole. I get very good results with this combo with my Venue. 

In this situation, I am merely creating a situation of redundancy with the wireless in my bag that I already have on my cart. However I suspect that I’ll be happy with the results with the SixPack because the PSC RF circuits and built in amps are always very good. The RF Multi SMA, which I have and have used quite a lot in the past, would give me exceptional results.