new interface coming

I think part of the cost is the inclusion of very powerful and full featured software that comes with it. The other interfaces you mention come with software to assist in setup and routing (like the Cue software I believe it's called withe the MOTU stuff) but do not provide the extensive feature set, multitrack timecode capable recording software, plugins and so forth that Metric Halo offers. I agree that it is still quite pricey and you are right that the quality of the preamps is a factor (although most times irrelevant for the way we have been using interfaces as Line In only devices).

-  Jeff Wexler

MOTU boxes come with CueMix, which is the monitor mixer/talkback etc, a whole other app/controller for the TC/clock functions (SMPTE SetUp) and a pretty decent recording and editing app (Audio Desk) that can use Audio Units and MAS plugins--the former being pretty darn good to my ears (Apple's "Matrix Reverb" is pretty amazing and it comes free in every Mac).  I haven't spoken with anyone using MH's "Record Panel" for film/video work--the website doesn't go very deep into how it deals w/ TC and Metadata, mirroring, poly vs. mono files, sound reports, slate mics etc.--if anyone is using it this way I'd like to hear how all that works since the mixer looks so hip. 

Philip Perkins

The cost of a Sonic Studio model 306 which has 8 analogue I/O and 8 AES I/O is USD$$6,995.00. It's made by Metric Halo and includes all the Metric Halo Console, Mixer and Plug In software.  The ULN-8 effectively replaces the 306 and cost's less.

All the processing power and most of the software is implemented in the current MH 2882 which cost's USD$1895.

The current Record Panel is very basic. TC is not implemented. You can record arm any input and there's record, stop and play buttons. There's no film or video relevant metadata. Screen shot copied below.

There must be considerably more electronics in the ULN-8. It's got ventilation on the sides and the spec of 32 watts is considerably more than my non 2D card 2882's which use 11 watts (no DSP) and 15 watts (with DSP).

David M

post-315-130815080949_thumb.png