Pro Tools users Heads Up (YIKES!)

Johnny Karlsson

I just received this email from Avid:

first_event

Important install update regarding Pro Tools products

This email is to inform you that Pro Tools 2019.6 (released today) resolves an issue we uncovered where interruptions in internet connectivity can cause Pro Tools | First, Pro Tools, and Pro Tools | Ultimate to delete local (offline) Projects. We escalated this issue with high priority, identified the cause, and have delivered a fix with this release. It is advised that you install this update if you are using cloud storage. For more information please refer to the Release Notes and visit your Avid Master Account to manage your Pro Tools license. 

Thank you again for being an Avid customer, and we appreciate your continued support. 

The Avid Pro Tools Team

1 hour ago, tourtelot said:

Can you imagine?

D.

Premiere users can! https://www.newsshooter.com/2017/05/10/adobe-premiere-pro-version-2017-1-users-reporting-media-files-completely-disappearing/

This is even worse. Please keep the internet out of my audio editor, if I want to share files online there are scores of services to do that. I'm really tired of every application subscription offering proprietary cloud storage. I'm also tired of software subscriptions. Get off my lawn!

Well first, always turn off the auto-update.  Might work for your mother's PC but not for a professional workstation.  Two, there is no getting around the subscription business model.  That ship has sailed.  Pay them with Facebook script.  Three, I wish that Pro Tools wasn't still the go-to audio editing program for EVERYBODY I work with.  I'd move off that platform if it wouldn't be so detrimental to my career. :(  They suck!

D.

13 hours ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

Hmm, yes, for a couple of decades it was often considered safer to have a separate 'browsing' 'pute and keep the work 'pute "clean" at least for general use over a job. This kind of thing (in the age of auto updates) brings it all back home with a thunderous crash ...

With a Mac it won't be much of a problem if you act wisely. Apple uses a really effective packaging system for program libraries, which means that there is not a chaotic system directory like "WINDOWS/SYSTEM" where everything is mixed up and the results can depend on the order in which you installed several applications. There have been idiots developing software for Mac OS X, like Logitech installing a silly "application enhancer" library in the System folders and rendeding the system unbootable when updating to Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) but I think Apple slapped them properly and it's more unlikely to see an incident like that again.

As for system updates which can be important for security yet detrimental for fragile software like ProTools, I always recommend to use a different web browser (which is the riskiest application in the system) that you can update without fear of affecting ProTools; its code is separated from that of the operating system.

Between Firefox and Chrome I would say Firefox. Google has the bad habit of installing invisible auto updaters and, besides, Chrome has a couple of system extensions functionality that I consider potential suicidal stuff (Native Code, etc).

So, install Firefox. 

Yes to everyone = take care

The OP comes up with a situation which is despite taking care shit happens and maybe it is the fault of avid or maybe the blame lies elsewhere but the shit has happened and the shit really stinks.

We are in a new 'must be online' world now and it doesn't help us. At the moment it doesn't bother me at all, but I do think it doesn't marry well with our own (professional) problems, especially with a decade or so of bad histories to add to it.

In post we are not working generally with one program but with several - all with their potential 'update crap' ... every single plug in for a start.

I would be surprised if the PSMs here would advocate leaving their entire rig open to a "hey shit happens" attitude on set.

Not trying to be the Luddite here, but this is not only a serious hiccup but an issue?

J

On 7/4/2019 at 7:16 AM, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

Avid Link informing me that,

"Our Login service is not available right now. Please try to login again later"

does not not fill me with hope.

I get the same error since I upgrade to 2019.6 :(