Calculating working time

Attila

Hi,

normally as a freelance sound recordist with own equipment I calculate my working time from door to door. (From  home. Not from the hotel)

Today I had the case, that I am not allowed to do this and my start time for me is as on the call sheet and the end is when wrapped.

I am working in Germany. 

How do you handle this?

And how do you argument that working time starts with loading equipment?

And another point is, do you calculate a safety buffer (e.g. traffic jams etc...)? 

Nearly all of my working life has been billed as my hours starting at my call time on set, and ending when I leave the set.  Sometimes (rare any more) there is "drive time" money (vis a vis the highly malleable "studio zone").  Grip and lighting truck drivers get "portal to portal" pay, but in the USA generally the rest of the crew does not.  I will say that load-up time at the end of the day (esp on a complex shoot with a lot of gear out) is considered part of wrapping and IS on the clock.

On 7/5/2019 at 5:31 AM, Philip Perkins said:

Grip and lighting truck drivers get "portal to portal" pay, but in the USA generally the rest of the crew does not. 

If our equipment also requires a truck/van then surely it is reasonable we too should get portal to portal?