Indoor Shoots in a Noisy Office Space - Advice needed!

Hafeez Z

20 hours ago, IronFilm said:

If you really have no control over location or timing (as you need to work around other people's work schedules) then I'd have a careful thought about your framing, as that can at least physiologically make a difference. (as if you can see the source of the noise then it tends to be somewhat less obnoxious than if it is just some mysterious unknown source)

Depends on what is appropriate for your video though, if for your SaaS product to see a busy office background?

For example of this at work of "seeing the noise source vs not seeing it": imagine filming a builder with an empty lot behind him vs him turning around to face the opposite direction and instead having the busy construction site behind him? 

Both videos may have the same amount of background noise in the video (well, perhaps not... as the body blocking one side of the lav could help the 2nd video be better), but the first video will "feel worse" than the 2nd video where you can see the context of where the background noise is coming from because you can see the background construction in the video itself. 

So in short, a good rough rule of thumb to keep in mind is: "if you can't kill a noise source, then include it in the frame". (so at least there is context)

Yep

As I said "is it in context or in conflict"

Been doing this job for 50 years!

mike

10 hours ago, Jeff Wexler said:

To Kisaha, I strongly disagree with your assessment of this sort of topic/thread. Nothing to do with ethics and I really don't think any of us should feel threatened by one person's asking for advice and help doing a job. I remember early on in my career an seasoned older sound mixer told me that I needed to keep secret things in my "bag of tricks"  --- all those things, including ideas and techniques I might have learned and put to use doing my job  ---  he said I should not share these things with others because they will take my job and I will be left northing. I did not take this person's advice, I saw no value whatsoever in not sharing my knowledge with my fellow workers no matter at what level they were working  --- in fact, throughout my long 48 year career, some of my greatest joy has come from helping others, imparting to them the the things that I had learned (and many of those things were learned from others who were generous to me with their knowledge).

10 hours ago, RLightstone said:

Agree 1000% with Jeff

I agree 100% Richard ... (!)

that is, actually, 98% ... best to keep 2% secret ...

although, damn it!

Phil has just gone and given that 2% away again !?!

J

5 hours ago, Mike Westgate said:

Yep

As I said "is it in context or in conflict"

Been doing this job for 50 years!

mike

I'm not disagreeing with you at all :-) Of course I agree. 

Just am reinforcing the point and helping the OP out. 

Thanks all for the helpful pointers. I've decided I'll go out and get some sound blankets and light stands to rig them up, and try to work with the gear I already have. If that doesn't work out, then I'll have a stronger case to ask for more equipment 😉

19 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

When I was over on the "camera side", long before I got into sound, my friends and I decided that a reticence to discuss technical details either meant that the person in question didn't really have any or that what they knew or were doing wasn't really very interesting.

Indeed Philip. I'd like to think the production industry as a whole is an open and welcoming community, but of course there will be exceptions to the norm, and we don't always get to choose who we work with. 🤷‍♂️