Which Cinela mount for Schoeps CMC641?

soundbeard

Yeah, yeah, I know this gets asked a ton, but I've done a lot of research and I'm ready to make a decision, but before I did that, I wanted to make sure I had my facts straight. 

This is what I'm thinking:

Cinela COSI

Pros:

• Cheapest option
  • Could use for both the CMC641 and a Mini CMIT with a cheap $30 adapter (I still need to upgrade my shotgun, and the Mini CMIT is on my short list)
  • Possibly best at reducing handling noise, simply due to the larger amount of surface area between the pole and the mic (although there are other factors with the other mounts that may hinder this)

Cons: 

• Can't remove fur
  • Can't add additional fur
  • Might be too small if I added a CUT 60

Cinela OSIX-2 + Cinela Leo 20 Windshield

Pros: 

• Can remove fur for stationary booming
  • Might be able to remove top mount and use in a Pianissimo later (it looks like this is the same suspension the Pianissimo uses - if I bought the OSIX 2 and a Pianissimo for another mic size, could I swap the suspension in for my CMC641?)
  • Would allow for addition of a CUT 60

Cons: 

• No full wind protection option
  • Would have to buy a whole second suspension for another mic

Cinela Pianissimo

Pros:

• Best wind protection of the three
  • Different levels of wind protection
  • Possibly the most sonically transparent
  • Would allow for addition of a CUT 60

Cons:

• Can't remove windscreen
  • Harder to squeeze into tight spots indoors
  • Most expensive
  • Would have to buy a whole second suspension plate for another mic

I know the best option is to buy separate suspensions for indoors/outdoors, but that's just not in the budget right now. I'm leaning towards the COSI, especially since it's on sale for $485 at Location Sound. 

Thoughts? What do I have wrong?

Thanks so much!

If money is so tight why are you wanting the most expensive solution?

You could go 2nd hand and buy Rycotes' matching options for far less and your clients wouldn't care or notice.

Sure Cinela mounts etc are great and I don't regret buying them but then, I can afford them..

34 minutes ago, engaudio said:

If money is so tight why are you wanting the most expensive solution?

You could go 2nd hand and buy Rycotes' matching options for far less and your clients wouldn't care or notice.

Sure Cinela mounts etc are great and I don't regret buying them but then, I can afford them..

I've not had the chance to try any of the Cinela mounts personally, nor do I know anyone who has one. There also aren't any dealers nearby where I can go try them out. I was under the impression that they were better shockmounts/windscreens than the Rycotes, which is why I was looking into them. I'd prefer to spend a little more now than waste extra money upgrading later. 

Are the Cinela not superior to the Rycotes?

58 minutes ago, soundbeard said:

Are the Cinela not superior to the Rycotes?

It depends. You could also use something made by K-Tek, PSC, or a number of other manufacturers. 

I will say that most people don’t use this particular mic outdoors, and therefore don’t tend to have wind protection for it other than the foam it comes with. 

I have the OSIX-2 and like it fine, but there are things I don’t like about it too. I also have a Rycote Invision shockmount. It’s fine too. As is the latest PSC offering. I have the Cinema Leonard as well. It works ok. I don’t really like shoving the mic in and out of the thing, and if you don’t get it in the right way, it covers the vents on the capsul which makes it more Omni-directional. For outdoor use, if I am inclined to do so, I have little Rycote blimps that I can use. But I don’t think there is a great all in one solution for what you’re trying to do, other than maybe getting a little Rycote blimp and using its shockmount without the zeppelin while indoors. 

54 minutes ago, JonG said:

I will say that most people don’t use this particular mic outdoors, and therefore don’t tend to have wind protection for it other than the foam it comes with. 

Maybe the better use of my money would be foregoing wind protection for the time being (aside from the included windscreen for swinging), and put that money towards the CUT 60. I can get semi-decent results using the low cut filters in my MixPre, but I imagine that having the cut filter before any of the pre-amps would be quite a bit more effective. Anyone have any experience with the CUT 60?

12 hours ago, soundbeard said:

Maybe the better use of my money would be foregoing wind protection for the time being (aside from the included windscreen for swinging), and put that money towards the CUT 60. I can get semi-decent results using the low cut filters in my MixPre, but I imagine that having the cut filter before any of the pre-amps would be quite a bit more effective. Anyone have any experience with the CUT 60?

It’s “technically” better, but you really might not notice a difference. I own the cut60 and like it, but have actually stopped using it since I got an OSIX2 for my Schoeps. Don’t find I need it anymore.

I’m just curious, why do you want to use the CMC outside? I’ve done it a few times with varying results, but usually find it doesn’t have the reach or directionality I need for an exterior.

2 hours ago, Trey LaCroix said:

It’s “technically” better, but you really might not notice a difference. I own the cut60 and like it, but have actually stopped using it since I got an OSIX2 for my Schoeps. Don’t find I need it anymore.

I’m just curious, why do you want to use the CMC outside? I’ve done it a few times with varying results, but usually find it doesn’t have the reach or directionality I need for an exterior.

I wasn't planning on using the CMC outside, but I thought that something like the COSI might suffice for indoor use and would allow me to swap in a Mini CMIT for outdoors without having to buy another suspension/windscreen, though I'd obviously need a solution for stronger winds.

Unless someone can speak for the COSI, it sounds like the consensus is that I'll have to buy separate suspensions for indoors and outdoors, which feels like a missed opportunity. Something like the Cinela Z-OSIX-2 might fit this bill, but I don't think you can buy them anymore. 

5 hours ago, soundbeard said:

... it sounds like the consensus is that I'll have to buy separate suspensions for indoors and outdoors, which feels like a missed opportunity. ...

Having both mics ready and prepared in their own suspensions / windscreens would I presume be somewhat an advantage for time

(considering we're talking here about top level microphones and accessories) ...

Even if you feel your work is comfortable enough with a single windscreen ( + perhaps a single boom etc ) I would think it generally preferable to have the two main mics set up in their own suspensions and not be messing about with swapping mics when a setup is suddenly changed. But it depends on your work.

Jez

Having different suspensions and wind protection for all your mics is kind of what you’ve gotta do. They all have different dimensions and weights, so balance or form factor is often key, let alone simultaneous use. A lot of folks keep their mics in their suspension while working and have them on a quick release or separate boom pole. I have a suspension for each one of my mics and a few extras. You just never know the situation. I’d say that if budget is an issue, the Rycote INV series are popular and inexpensive. You can start there and upgrade as you have the funds to do so. 

The cosi is a great solution outdoors for you because it would fit both the mini cmit and the cmc641 with no adjustments. I don't think you will ever want more wind protection. But it is expensive. 

Indoors you will need two different suspensions for the microphones because the space for a suspension to grip is much different for each mic. 

Rycote invision6 is the only suspension I am aware of that works well for the minicmit. You can put on soft black lyres or the stiffer grey ones if you want to put a softie for use outdoors. Using a softie instead of buying a cinela is cheaper, would allow you to have 1 mount for both indoor and outdoor. But cinela cosi is better in every other way (handling noise, wind protection, transparent sound) 

For the CMC you have a lot more options, and have been discussed here. Cinela osix is the most expensive. I find the PSC mount with rubber suspension works well for me and I don't use a cut60. On the rare occasion I use it outside with a softie I can add an extra rubber band for stiffer suspension. 

On 7/8/2019 at 11:08 PM, michaelmoote said:

The cosi is a great solution outdoors for you because it would fit both the mini cmit and the cmc641 with no adjustments. I don't think you will ever want more wind protection. But it is expensive. 

Does the Cosi muffle the sound too much for indoor use? I've not been able to find any ratings on how much db it cuts. I'm finding the CMC is very susceptible to wind noise from quick swings, so some indoor wind protection that's better than the included foam seems like a must. OSIX-2 + Leo 20 would be great, but is that really that much more transparent than the Cosi is? 

I suppose an easier way to word my initial post would have been: anyone used a Cosi and liked it? Does it muffle the sound too much for indoor use of a Schoeps CMC?

I didn't test the Cosi with the cmc but I did test it with a MKH 8050. For indoor I prefer the schoeps B5D over the Cosi, unless you need to swing the boom a lot. The B5D is very transparant and very small. The Cosi is a bit less transparant, but much better than the Rycote softies.

The pianissimo with only the main cover gives quite good wind protection and is super transparant (as good as the B5D to me), better than the Cosi. I often use the pianissimo outside with only the main cover.

I didn't compare the Cosi to the pianissimo with the short pile fur yet. But I think they should be quite similar.

The Leo is also very transparant and gives more wind protection than the B5D. The Leo with fur is a bit bulky. I prefer the Cosi over the Leo with fur.

I would be interested in a Cosi for indoor use only (same cover as the pianissimo) or a mini pianissimo :).

The cosi is very transparent. Leo as well. But both are a little overkill for indoors unless you were in a doc style situation with no time to switch out indoor/outdoor mounting. All the Cinela solutions are fine for indoor use (compared to rycote softies/zep in my opinion). Mini cmit in a cosi would be an amazing indoor/outdoor doc setup. 

Have you used the hollow foam for the schoeps? Bd5. That solved all indoor wind issues for me, including fast swings on the boom. Cost is about $50. 

53 minutes ago, michaelmoote said:

Have you used the hollow foam for the schoeps? Bd5. That solved all indoor wind issues for me, including fast swings on the boom. Cost is about $50. 

Thanks for this - just ordered a BD-5 - should be a nice stop-gap solution. My current shockmount (Ryote INV 7HG MkIII) is good but not great. Might just end up with an OSIX-2 and hold off on the Cosi until I get the MiniCMIT. I assume the Cosi and the OSIX are similar when it comes to handling noise reduction, or is one significantly better than the other?

Still think it's a shame you can't take the fur off the Cosi. Cage might scare the talent, though 😊