Noticed a lot of handling noise on SD 442?

ebaume

For some reason (at least how I have it set) the 442 seems to be a lot more prone to handling noise especially with my Kmr81i that I've been favoring on a lot of the doc shoots lately. The roll off is not making as much difference no matter where on the dial it is from (80 to 240)... I tried all the combos on the mic and with gain lower higher etc. etc. I'm an okay boom handler but would like a little more love from the mixer. :)

Are there any menu settings that I'm missing? Doesn't look like it.

http://www.sounddevices.com/download/guides/442-setups.pdf

Any advice?

Thanks a lot, EBaume

... the 442 seems to be a lot more prone to handling noise ...

Thanks a lot, EBaume

More prone than what?

I ran an 81 with a CS104 for many years before switching to the 442 last year. There was no difference whatsoever.

Did you make recent changes to your kit that could explain the problem? Suspension? Headphones?

The roll off is not making as much difference no matter where on the dial it is from (80 to 240)...

If you can find a suitable unit, try connecting a tone generator, set it to output a low frequency, and check to see how much attenuation the filters on the 442 are providing.

(I think the little Fostex unit will ouput 50 Hz or, at least, 100 Hz. If you don't have one, you should be able to find a local repair/rental shop that would permit you to connect one of their tone generators for a test. Also, one can download tones and play from a CD.)

It's possible that the filters are not coming on-line for one reason or another. Confirming this can help you plan your remedy. If you don't have any LF roll-off, you could limp along using an outboard unit until you could get the mixer back to SD for repairs. Of course, if the filters function properly, then your problem lies elsewhere and my advice is of little practical use.

David Waelder

Guest jimg

" Any advice? "

(all together now:)

contact SD !!

you should discuss it with them,  if there is a problem with your unit, they will be able to resolve it!

Great advice once you are sure the problem is with the mixer.

Does the problem exist using the same mic rig with another device? Or with a different mic rig with this device? As Andre has suggested, changed anything else recently? A change in headphones is a big deal.

I'll add this question - handling noise as compared to what?

But as the Senator usually suggests, read the manual before you go further. Then contact the appropriate factory-trained personnel for assistance. And as the Senator doesn't like to acknowledge, post questions like this here. Rumor has it many people who work for Sound Devices and other manufacturers actually read this board. Or you may be overlooking something simple that a user here can fill you in on.

Best regards,

Jim

As an edit, it should be "read and understand the manual" and as a personal note, I'd post here first if there was an issue I couldn't get up to speed on!

It's possible that the filters are not coming on-line for one reason or another. Confirming this can help you plan your remedy. If you don't have any LF roll-off, you could limp along using an outboard unit until you could get the mixer back to SD for repairs. Of course, if the filters function properly, then your problem lies elsewhere

Yeah this sounds like it could be the problem, ruled out mic problems by testing it with a couple of others and also pulling out and getting my PSC backup mixer into this. It's the older Mkii model which has fixed stages of LF R-O. It's pretty effectively able to take care of this.

I'll give em a call I'm sure they'd take care of it.

EBaume