Shipping Sound Carts Internationally

jakeslaney

Hello all,

Looking for input. I’m wondering If anyone has some experience sending a sound cart internationally... Specifically to the South Pacific from North America. I have a mix cart that can be mostly disassembled and a custom follow cart that can’t be. Im sure some of you have had production coordinate this. Have any of you done this yourself? Currently thinking about palletizing and shrink wrapping the two carts so they could be shipped freight easier. Wondering if that is the easier option or if utilizing partial container freight is a better option? I will remove as much equipment from the carts as possible and ship separately.

Cost, safety of gear, and ease of process are fundamental.

Thank you.

Isn't the production shipping a lot of stuff to the location too?  Like the whole camera, production, HMU, wardrobe, props and so on depts?  Maybe you could get onto the cargo flight for that stuff.  If the airline has cargo containers then you wouldn't have to palletize and could pack the container yourself.

Rockit Cargo is one of the leading expediter companies. They handle many films and a substantial number of traveling rock shows. 

https://www.rockitcargo.com/

I've not used them myself. (The company I did use was swallowed by a bigger fish.) But Rockit was recommended to me by Art Rochester. 

David

Edited by David Waelder
Grammar & spelling

1 hour ago, Philip Perkins said:

Isn't the production shipping a lot of stuff to the location too?  Like the whole camera, production, HMU, wardrobe, props and so on depts? 

If I was going already booked on a Production, I would definitely have Production do it. I am moving of my own free will and will be taking my gear on my dime.

Ah.  Well, I'd still look into an air-cargo container: your gear will be much more protected than it would be just on a pallet.   FWIW, Rocket screwed up a couple of international shipments big time, for me.  It might be best to start with a freight-forwarder to see what's available for how much, first off?

I know that a Chinese Production shooting a feature film here in Auckland at the moment just went and purchased a new sound cart to be sent to here in NZ rather than shipping one over from China! :-o 

Bit odd I thought, but yeah, probably worth looking into, if you're traveling a long distance then perhaps renting/buying one closer to the shoot itself might be a "better" path to take than bringing your own from home. 

To the OP--are you moving to this new location, like permanently?  Or is it just for one job etc?  The dance co I often work for often does shows in Europe that require large set elements--they found the best cheapest way to get a large amount of stuff overseas was by ship.  Takes awhile, but it was far cheaper than sending it all by air.

My old cart was shipped by air freight 7 times to 5 countries

usually by freight but once as luggage via the US on the way to France.

My whole kit was out in bond in Hawaii and I started shooting in Paris with

a rented kit that I found by luck.

So it usually works OK but damage is always possible

mike

FIJI jungle.JPG

On 7/12/2019 at 10:29 AM, Philip Perkins said:

To the OP--are you moving to this new location, like permanently?  Or is it just for one job etc?  The dance co I often work for often does shows in Europe that require large set elements--they found the best cheapest way to get a large amount of stuff overseas was by ship.  Takes awhile, but it was far cheaper than sending it all by air.

Yes Phillip,

I'm moving permanently. Like i mentioned, if it was for a specific job, I'd have production pay for it. Looking into pallet shipping now. A full container would make sense if my wife and I were bringing more personal items, but that isn't going to happen at this moment. I'll take a smaller bag rig with my when I fly but the carts can take a month or more if need be. I'll put desiccants inside some drawers before plastic wrapping.  

On 7/12/2019 at 7:40 AM, IronFilm said:

I know that a Chinese Production shooting a feature film here in Auckland at the moment just went and purchased a new sound cart to be sent to here in NZ rather than shipping one over from China! 😮

I thought about selling and then buying over there, but I imagine the cost/benefit doesn't work out. I've modified this cart to be how I'd like it. The follow cart is custom as well. 

16 hours ago, Mike Westgate said:

My old cart was shipped by air freight 7 times to 5 countries

usually by freight but once as luggage via the US on the way to France.

My whole kit was out in bond in Hawaii and I started shooting in Paris with

a rented kit that I found by luck.

So it usually works OK but damage is always possible

mike

FIJI jungle.JPG

Looks great Mike! Custom handtruck style? Do you remote your RF receivers? Is that what the snake is for?

This is a picture of my mix cart and a couple of the follow cart last year (one before powder coating) It will be a bit different when I ship this time, but basically the same size.

followcart.jpg

followcartW:dog.jpg

mixcart.jpg

• 2 weeks later...