Audio into 2015 MacBook Pro or other laptop

Robert Buncher

The DP on an upcoming interview job says the client suddenly wants to monitor on a laptop via an app called Zoom. At this point I have no info on what laptop will be available. I have a Mac and can only test on it. 

I have had no luck getting a feed from my 633, line or mic from main out, into the Mac. I got an adapter with trrs into the headphone jack that splits to two trs jacks, one marked mic and one headphone, but I cannot get the laptop to recognize the external mic. 

Does anyone have a clue?

Thanks. 

I carry a cheap USB to audio dongle with 3.5mm I/O with me. I set the sub output from my recorder to mic level and run that into the dongle; this feeds the web-conference software (like Zoom) that I use to provide audio to our live captioning service. Much more reliable than a mobile phone.

Have you checked whether the Macbook has a digital input? A lot of Macs use a dual 1/8" TRS/Optical jack for audio in and out. If the jack's been used a lot for TRS, sometimes dirt gets jammed into the optical sensor... but it's worth trying. 

I use the optical mini i/o on my 2016 Mini all the time, with a simple Toslink<>1/8" optical cable. ( I put a label on the jacks, "never use with TRS".)

Just curious, though: have you been following the news and thread about Zoom?

As I had stated in another thread, the Zoom video conferencing issue has been resolved (as of yesterday, July 10th) on two fronts: Apple did a stealth update that removed the web server that Zoom had installed, and Zoom updated the software to be free of the vulnerability with its Mac application. As long as you are running the latest version of Zoom video conferencing software everything should be fine. I will add that it is a rather odd choice for this DP to suggest using Zoom for this purpose but maybe they've had good success in the past. The Zoom video conferencing works very well for several meetings that I participate in (CAS Board meetings, Local 695 and Jan's Sounderday community get togethers).

22 hours ago, Robert Buncher said:

...There isn’t a digital input as far as I can tell. ...

Check the Sound control panel. If the machine has Toslink capability, it should show you a digital output choice. Then, when you feed it a valid digital signal, you'll see the input choice appear.

32 minutes ago, Jay Rose said:

Check the Sound control panel. If the machine has Toslink capability, it should show you a digital output choice. Then, when you feed it a valid digital signal, you'll see the input choice appear.

I haven't seen an Apple laptop with Toslink (or an analog audio input) in years. I guess omitting that circuitry lets them make the laptop .05mm thinner, which is more important than functionality in the new dongle based economy. I guess the code is still in the OS because my hackintosh shows multiple analog as well as digital audio I/O ports.

Robert,

I use a late model 2011 Mac Book Pro for on set play back and when I go to, System Preferences /Sound. At the top of the pop up window under "Input" it gives me the option to switch the 1/8th jack from a output to a input using the tab "use audio port for". I can then use a line level input. Is that option gone on newer models? If so that's  drag.

Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 14.49.44.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 14.43.45.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2019 at 8:04 AM, Jay Rose said:

It will once you insert this!

https://www.zoro.com/static/cms/product/full/Z_s1qumcpIx_.JPG